Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 720 Megapixels out of a Canon 10D

720 Megapixels out of a Canon 10D

Hebee Jeebes

I just don't see what people see in AutoStitch other than it is free. Their
sample images suck. The first one on the page has a guy in a red shirt it is
totally messed up in the stitched image, but not in the original image. The
panoramas are blurry, not just soft but blurry. I guess if your too cheap to
get something good free crap is better than nothing.

As for ILM, you can bet they aren't using it as is.

"Brad Sims" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Dread Ink, the Grave hand of Tony Rice Did Inscribe:
>> Scott Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1154223351.168532
>> @docbert:
>>
>>> http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight

>> Zoomify is a great little application. works great with mosaics too.
>>
>> http://rtphokie.org/dis/

> For my panos I have been using autostitch.
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
>
> Free, works well, and runs under wine on Linux. No futzing around
> required, simply point it a directory and grab a beer. Done.
>
> Autostitch has been licenced by ILM and
> * Autopano Pro www.autopano.net
> * Serif PanoramaPlus2 www.serif.com
> * Calico www.kekus.com (Mac OS X)
>
> --
> "From my cold dead hands, my ass. I'll be taking their issue weapons
> from their cold dead hands. I fight to win.
> -- KBarrett

Tony Rice

"Hebee Jeebes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:44ce5e02$0$34493$(E-Mail Removed):

> I just don't see what people see in AutoStitch other than it is free.
> Their sample images suck. The first one on the page has a guy in a red
> shirt it is totally messed up in the stitched image, but not in the
> original image. The panoramas are blurry, not just soft but blurry. I
> guess if your too cheap to get something good free crap is better than
> nothing.
>
> As for ILM, you can bet they aren't using it as is.

I prefer the stiching software that comes with Canon cameras over
AutoStitch.

Hebee Jeebes

I like PTGui. Panorama Factory would be a good choice if it did vertical.
panoramas and tiled ones.

"Tony Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Hebee Jeebes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:44ce5e02$0$34493$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I just don't see what people see in AutoStitch other than it is free.
>> Their sample images suck. The first one on the page has a guy in a red
>> shirt it is totally messed up in the stitched image, but not in the
>> original image. The panoramas are blurry, not just soft but blurry. I
>> guess if your too cheap to get something good free crap is better than
>> nothing.
>>
>> As for ILM, you can bet they aren't using it as is.

> I prefer the stiching software that comes with Canon cameras over
> AutoStitch.

silverthreads

What amazes me is the consistency of your exposure settings spread out
over 169 exposures taken over 52 mimutes. Does Autopano Pro have
anything to do with the matching process?
Scott Howard wrote:
> http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
>
> Enjoy
>
> Scott

Richard Tomkins

Wouldn't he set the exposure on the first shot, lock it in and then shoot
the rest? That's what I do with my Nikon 5700.

Scott Howard

Richard Tomkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wouldn't he set the exposure on the first shot, lock it in and then shoot
> the rest? That's what I do with my Nikon 5700.

That's exactly what he did - for both exposure and focus.

The focus was based on the lower AMP logo on the left hand side. This is
about 1200 metres away from where the photos were taken, which gives a
depth of field from about 600 metres to infinity, which puts everything
in focus.

The exposure was done with a bit of trial-and-error, keeping depth of
field in mind - the details of what was finally used are on the website.

Scott

Petri Lopia

On 2006-07-30, Scott Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
>
> Enjoy

Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
Are you sure that there is enough megapixels?

--
Petri Lopia :: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
StormChasing/Myrskynbongaus etc. Lightnings/Salamoita yms.

Tim

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

> On 2006-07-30, Scott Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
> >
> > Enjoy

> Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
> Are you sure that there is enough megapixels?

Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?

Petri Lopia

On 2006-08-20, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2006-07-30, Scott Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
>> >
>> > Enjoy

>> Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
>> Are you sure that there is enough megapixels?

> Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
> ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?

There was quick notice about "zoomify" before that photo & navigation
loaded so probably it's Zoomify what makes that tool:
http://www.zoomify.com/

--
Petri Lopia :: (E-Mail Removed)lid

On 2006-08-20, Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
> On 2006-08-20, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

>>> Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
>>> Are you sure that there is enough megapixels?

>> Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
>> ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?

> There was quick notice about "zoomify" before that photo & navigation
> loaded so probably it's Zoomify what makes that tool:
> http://www.zoomify.com/

Yep. It was that =) I did quick and small test with that:
http://www.petrilopia.net/birds/

It's too small photo I know...