Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Program mode on cameras

Program mode on cameras

Monkee

Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
use full manual.....

When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
full manual?

snapper@mailinator.com

P should be relabeled to F. Because one can f@ck around with the settings.

> When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
> full manual?

It saves the settings.

Matti Vuori

"Monkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gbIyg.108815$(E-Mail Removed) .uk:
> Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on
> cameras? Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense,
> and I normally use full manual.....

For many users and uses it makes sense to let the camera do the decisions
about shutter speed and aperture. This is what the P mode is for.

> When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just
> using full manual?

Most people don't want to use or are not able to use the full manual.
Even A and S are too bothersome when the camera's program can do the
adjustment better in most cases. Thus, the photogarpher can concentrate
on creative issues instead.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

mike.d.wells@gmail.com

P (program) vs Full Auto, will vary from camera to camera, Program mode
usually will give you some settings you can adjust. Like adding a stop
of exposure or changing the ISO. It just gives you a little more
creative control and then sets all the other options according to that
manufactures program. You might use it in a backlit situation where
you need to add more light to you subject.

Monkee wrote:
> Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
> Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
> use full manual.....
>
> When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
> full manual?

Bill

Monkee wrote:

>Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
>Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
>use full manual.....

The P-mode is Programmed automatic exposure with shift control.

It will automatically determine the shutter and aperture settings based
on the cameras meter reading and the dozens of pre-programmed conditions
that are in used to evaluate and compute a proper exposure, like the
full auto mode without automatic flash.

Once the camera has determined the exposure settings, you can then shift
the configuration and settings to get the creative shot you wish to
capture.

For example, you want to take a picture of your 2 year old child at a
picnic. You don't want to worry about aperture for depth of field and
he/she is not moving around very much so you don't need to worry about
shutter speed. The P mode will take care of the aperture and shutter
settings and you can concentrate on simply getting the shot.

But since you can shift the settings, you can add fill flash if he/she
is backlit, or you can boost the brightness by adding a bit of exposure
compensation if he/she is in the shadow of a tree, etc., without having
to worry about getting all the settings just right. The camera will do
most of the work and you can just tweak it a bit if needed.

>When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
>full manual?

Most of the time I use aperture or shutter speed priority modes to get
the effect I want in a shot. I use manual when I want full creative
control over the exposure.

I only use P mode for fun snapshots at social functions or similar
events where extra creativity isn't needed.

stauffer@usfamily.net

Monkee wrote:
> Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
> Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I normally
> use full manual.....
>
> When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
> full manual?

In the automatic mode, the onboard computer tries to analyse the
content, and make its own decisions about optimum aperture/shutter
combination.

In one of the program modes, you are telling the computer more about
what the subject is. The computer can then better optimize the
situation. In other words, the automatic is a sort of AVERAGE program,
used for scenes/subjects for which there is no program.

The above applies to those cameras who let you select one of several
types of scenes when you are in program mode.

Monkee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Monkee wrote:
>
>>Probably an odd question, but what is the P mode actually for on cameras?
>>Full auto makes sense, Shutter and Priority modes make sense, and I
>>normally
>>use full manual.....

> The P-mode is Programmed automatic exposure with shift control.
>
> It will automatically determine the shutter and aperture settings based
> on the cameras meter reading and the dozens of pre-programmed conditions
> that are in used to evaluate and compute a proper exposure, like the
> full auto mode without automatic flash.
>
> Once the camera has determined the exposure settings, you can then shift
> the configuration and settings to get the creative shot you wish to
> capture.
>
> For example, you want to take a picture of your 2 year old child at a
> picnic. You don't want to worry about aperture for depth of field and
> he/she is not moving around very much so you don't need to worry about
> shutter speed. The P mode will take care of the aperture and shutter
> settings and you can concentrate on simply getting the shot.
>
> But since you can shift the settings, you can add fill flash if he/she
> is backlit, or you can boost the brightness by adding a bit of exposure
> compensation if he/she is in the shadow of a tree, etc., without having
> to worry about getting all the settings just right. The camera will do
> most of the work and you can just tweak it a bit if needed.
>
>>When would P mode be used and what would the advantage be over just using
>>full manual?

> Most of the time I use aperture or shutter speed priority modes to get
> the effect I want in a shot. I use manual when I want full creative
> control over the exposure.
>
> I only use P mode for fun snapshots at social functions or similar
> events where extra creativity isn't needed.

Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is pretty
much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?

Bill

Monkee wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is pretty
>much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
>just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?

Yes.

Paul Bartram

"Monkee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Thanks for all the replies - so if I understand correctly, P mode is

pretty
> much the same as automatic but allows you to change everything rather than
> just accepting the settings it automatically chooses?

That's pretty much it. There are other things too, at least on some cameras.
On my Coolpix 995 using P instead of full auto also means the autofocus does
not run continuously, eating battery power. When you half-press the shutter,
exposure is set and the focus motor runs briefly to lock in on the subject.
Full press then fires the shutter.

Personally, I've never used the full auto setting, P is far more versatile.

Paul

SkipM

Another ramification of Auto mode, at least on Canon DSLRs, is that you lose
the custom functions, so all of your settings revert to what the camera
wants, not what you want, in terms of flash settings, metering options, etc.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com