Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UV / poloriser filters for Canol 3SIS - help please

UV / poloriser filters for Canol 3SIS - help please

Dianne

I have been into 3 camera dealers locally and neither could tell/show me
how I can fit a UV filer or a poloriser to the Powershot 3SIS...they
either didn't have the adapter, had the adapter and a filter but
couldn't make it all fit together, or didn't have either. I am in a
rural area and there is not much choice in camera dealers here in remote
Australia so I've come to you for help.

If you use a 3SIS or 2SIS and use these filters could you please tell me
how you do it?
Is there another coupling needed beside the LAH-DC20 lens adapter?
What size is the filter (I already have 58mm thread filters I'm using on
my EOS gear).
Can the filter remain on the camera permanently? ie does the lens
retract properly?
Does the camera start to get a bit deep with the adapter always
fitted..normal size is 113 x 78 x 75.5 mm...what size is it with the
adapter and a filter?

Sorry about all these questions - I really appreciate any help I can get
from those who have some experience with this camera (or 2sis) ... my
location makes it difficult to just approach another camera store.

Thank you.
Dianne

sally

Dianne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:44cabfd7$(E-Mail Removed):
> If you use a 3SIS or 2SIS and use these filters could you please
> tell me how you do it?
> Is there another coupling needed beside the LAH-DC20 lens adapter?
> What size is the filter (I already have 58mm thread filters I'm
> using on my EOS gear).
> Can the filter remain on the camera permanently? ie does the lens
> retract properly?
> Does the camera start to get a bit deep with the adapter always
> fitted..normal size is 113 x 78 x 75.5 mm...what size is it with the
> adapter and a filter?

1. Your owners manual has instructions for installing the lens adapter.
It is very easy. You need to push the button under your lens.

2. The adapter uses standard 58mm filters.

3. You can leave the adapter permanently attached, but it does make the
camera somewhat bigger. If your current camera bag is a tight fit, you
will need a somewhat larger bag. The new size is similar to the camera
size with the lens fully extended.

Dianne

Thank you Sally. Sounds like it is no problem at all. Pity the filters
don't just fit onto the lens barrel itself, though.

Thanks for your fast reply

Dianne

sally wrote:

> 1. Your owners manual has instructions for installing the lens adapter.
> It is very easy. You need to push the button under your lens.
>
> 2. The adapter uses standard 58mm filters.
>
> 3. You can leave the adapter permanently attached, but it does make the
> camera somewhat bigger. If your current camera bag is a tight fit, you
> will need a somewhat larger bag. The new size is similar to the camera
> size with the lens fully extended.

DHB

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:25:22 GMT, Dianne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you Sally. Sounds like it is no problem at all. Pity the filters
>don't just fit onto the lens barrel itself, though.
>
>Thanks for your fast reply
>
>Dianne

Dianne,
There is very good reasons way most if not all digital
camera manufactures have opted for this system.

1> It in no way adds weight to the lens system itself because it never
touches it. (So no added effort needed on the part of the lens
motor(s) when extending, retracting or focusing). This might seem
minor until somebody screws a heavy Wide Angle (WA) or Tele-Converter
(TC) photo adapter on to it.

2> The above would not only add more stress to the lens motor(s) but
also the bearings. This would result in more wear, it would use more
power & likely also cause some optical misalignment when the lens was
fully extended.

3> Many people might damage the lens treads swapping filters often or
they might cause damage by over tightening a filter, similar problems
could result if 1 does not come off easily. Much cheaper to buy a new
filter adapter (user replaceable) than it would be to have the camera
sent in for repairs.

4> The filter adapter has the added benefit of protecting the extended
lens from getting bumped & also provides "some" protection from
blowing sand & rain from possibly causing damage to the lens,
especially when it's fully extended.

5> I find it faster & easier to change filter adapter rings than the
filters alone. Thus if you routinely swap between 2 or more filters,
you may find it easier to have them already mounted onto separate lens
adapters & swap the whole thing.

6> Lastly it's another way for the manufacturer to potentially make
money selling you a lens adapter or 2.

A last not to consider is that 52mm filters are very common &
usually cheaper than a 58mm filter of the same type, especially true
for quality circular polorizers. So you may want to consider a 3rd
party adapter that will allow you to use the smaller filters without
problems.

Here is a link to a well know vendor but there are others:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

I have used their adapters on my Canon G2 & A610 & am very
pleased with the results.

Hope you & or others find this information useful.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918