Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax K100D Digital SLR - any experiences with this model?

Pentax K100D Digital SLR - any experiences with this model?

J. F. Cornwall

Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100

Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes
or football games/marching band performances at long distances.

Comments appreciated.

Jim

Pete D

"J. F. Cornwall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
> supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
> within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
> intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
>
> Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
> nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
> autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
> football games/marching band performances at long distances.
>
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Jim

Jim,

I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except for
IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster. Fletchers
have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing lens) for
around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is not something
that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a solid model that
you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new 10MP model and will
get one of these as soon as they are available.

Pete D

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44c9a83f$0$23639$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "J. F. Cornwall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
>> supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
>> within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
>> intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
>>
>> Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
>> nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
>> autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
>> football games/marching band performances at long distances.
>>
>> Comments appreciated.
>>
>> Jim

> Jim,
>
> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

That was Australian Dollars by the way.

J.F. Cornwall

Pete D wrote:
> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44c9a83f$0$23639$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "J. F. Cornwall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Anyone in the group tried the K100D out? Looking at the specs, it's
>>> supposed to have a new "Shake Reduction" feature that moves the sensor
>>> within the body rather than messing about inside the lenses. Sounds
>>> intersting. http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k100
>>>
>>> Curious about it because of this feature, and because it would be really
>>> nice to be able to use our collection of old K-mount lenses again. No
>>> autofocus isn't a problem, most of what I shoot tends to be landscapes or
>>> football games/marching band performances at long distances.
>>>
>>> Comments appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> Jim,
>>
>> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
>> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
>> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
>> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
>> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
>> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
>> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

> That was Australian Dollars by the way.

Thanks Pete. Maybe I'll have something to put on my Christmas list this
year

Jim

Paul Mitchum

Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[..]
> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not amazing
> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
with 645 medium format lenses.

Pete D

"Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:1hj6i2p.rc4g461uitjp5N%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [..]
>> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
>> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
>> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not
>> amazing
>> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
>> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
>> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
>> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

> I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
> with 645 medium format lenses.

No, definately APS-C.

dj_nme@hotmail.com

Pete D wrote:

> "Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
> news:1hj6i2p.rc4g461uitjp5N%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> > Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >> I have a DS and was playing with a K100D yesterday, very similar except
> >> for IS and bigger screen, the focusing also seemed a little faster.
> >> Fletchers have them with an 18-200mm Sigma lens (reasonable if not
> >> amazing
> >> lens) for around the $1400 or it may have been a little more, the IS is
> >> not something that will compel me to dig deep on its own but these are a
> >> solid model that you would be very happy with. I am waiting for the new
> >> 10MP model and will get one of these as soon as they are available.

> > I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
> > with 645 medium format lenses.

> No, definately APS-C.

The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
shake reduction.

Paul Mitchum

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Pete D wrote:
>
> > "Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
> > news:1hj6i2p.rc4g461uitjp5N%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> > > Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > [..]
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure the 10mp model they announced a while back works only
> > > with 645 medium format lenses.

> > No, definately APS-C.

> The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
> shake reduction.

Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

dj_nme@hotmail.com

Paul Mitchum wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> > The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
> > shake reduction.

> Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
> shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

The 645D is meant to be a 12mp 1.5x crop medium format digital slr.
Both the 645D and K10D are just as real as each other.
Both are supposed to be launched at Photokina this year.

J. F. Cornwall

Paul Mitchum wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Pete D wrote:
>>

>>>"Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
>>>news:1hj6i2p.rc4g461uitjp5N%(E-Mail Removed)0m.. .

>>>No, definately APS-C.

>>The new Pentax K10D will be a 10mp APS-c sensor camera with built in
>>shake reduction.

> Ah, I hadn't neard of the K10D. Sounds more likely to actually be
> shipped than the vaporware medium format camera they promised.

Hmm. As one of the consumer-level users (vs professional-level), I'm
not sure it would make much difference for my needs. Nice to know,
though.

Jim