Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My Mom needs an easy to use beginners dig

My Mom needs an easy to use beginners dig

jakesdad_69

I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
appreciated.

ASAAR

On 26 Jul 2006 20:03:26 -0700, jakesdad_69 wrote:

> I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
> an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
> many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
> She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
> would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
> appreciated.

What you should look for is an Auto only camera that doesn't have
true manual settings. This can be tricky since some non-manual
cameras have a "Manual" setting. But these usually provide just a
very limited number of manual settings, such as exposure
compensation and white balance, so these are really nothing more
than simple "Auto" only cameras. Of these, Fuji's A345 and A350 are
small, simple to use, and use a pair of AA batteries, so there's no
need to worry about rechargeable batteries and chargers unless your
Mom gets really interested in photography and starts taking huge
numbers of pictures. I think that the A345, btw, is sold by WalMart
as part of an A360 package that includes a case and the additional
pair of rechargeable batteries and a charger. But the total price
may be as low as, or lower than the A345 as sold by other stores.
Many other similar cameras are available from other manufacturers.

Unlike these Fuji cameras, many of the newer ones are now being
sold without viewfinders, so the LCD display would have to be used
to frame the pictures. Before getting one of these you might want
have your Mom go to a store that will let her try out the camera to
see if she feels comfortable using one of them.

You'd probably want to use your computer to at least backup your
Mom's pictures on CD, but she doesn't need a computer to get prints
made. There are now many places such as Rite-Aid, CVS, Duane Reade,
WalMart, etc., that she can go to to get prints made, just as if she
was using a film camera. She could have the store employee do
everything for her, or she could put her memory card (or better,
copies on CD) in a self-service photo machine and do it herself.
There are also many small (smaller than a toaster) dedicated 4"x6"
printers that don't need to be hooked up to a computer. Simply put
the camera's memory card in it, select the images you want to print
using the built in color display, and print. Image quality is
excellent, and with some brands, prints should resist fading even
longer than prints made by a photo lab. Cost per print can be quite
high with some brands, but several can make prints for a total cost
of about 25 cents per picture. As an example, the supplies for
Epson's small printers come in a box that includes 100 sheets of
4"x6" paper, and a single multicolor ink cartridge that pops into
the back of the printer and has enough ink to usually print slightly
more than 100 pictures, and depending on where you buy it, the box
sells for somewhere in the range of $24 to $30. Or you could keep
things simple for your Mom and take care of all her printing needs.

k-man

Most are pretty good. I tend to recommend the Canon P&S's. Most of my
friends use those and they get prints made at Costco and Wal-Mart and
the colors are great. I personally loved my Minolta Xg and made a
beautiful 18X12 with great colors; but that camera wasn't designed to
be smashed between the ground and my back when I overdid a wheelie on a
mountain bike while it was in my backpack.

Kevin

jakesdad_69 wrote:
> I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
> an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
> many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
> She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
> would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
> appreciated.

newcamz.blogspot.com

jakesdad_69 wrote:
> I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
> an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
> many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
> She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
> would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Some recommend Fujifilm FinePix F11. Please check if it is available
in your country though.

Some pointers at :
http://fujicamz.blogspot.com/

Cheers!
http://newcamz.blogspot.com

Joseph Meehan

jakesdad_69 wrote:
> I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
> an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
> many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
> She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
> would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
> appreciated.

I would like to add one item that is often overlooked when selecting a
camera.

Mom, may be a little older now. Her hands and fingers may not be as
flexible as they once were. Small cameras and most simple digital cameras
are small, often have small controls that are difficult for some people and
young children (they are not really people are they?) to handle.

I would suggest looking for cameras with larger and better spaced
controls. I would also suggest taking mom out to test drive the camera
before choosing it to make sure it is comfortable for her.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

minnesotti

jakesdad_69 wrote:
> I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
> an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
> many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
> She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
> would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
> appreciated

Kodak EasyShare C330/340/663. Specially for the folks like your mum.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> printers that don't need to be hooked up to a computer. Simply put
> the camera's memory card in it, select the images you want to print
> using the built in color display, and print. Image quality is
> excellent, and with some brands, prints should resist fading even
> longer than prints made by a photo lab. Cost per print can be quite
> high with some brands, but several can make prints for a total cost
> of about 25 cents per picture. As an example, the supplies for
> Epson's small printers come in a box that includes 100 sheets of
> 4"x6" paper, and a single multicolor ink cartridge that pops into
> the back of the printer and has enough ink to usually print slightly
> more than 100 pictures, and depending on where you buy it, the box
> sells for somewhere in the range of $24 to $30. Or you could keep
> things simple for your Mom and take care of all her printing needs.

Yeah, even a state-of-the art canon printer, with 5 ink cartridges (original
ones:12 euros each, generic:4 euros)
that can also print on cds, costs only 136 euros.It has cartridges for
cyan,yellow,magenta,black and another black.Add maybe 15 euros for a pack of
papers and you are all set

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion

m Ransley

Im sure other cameras have this but on my Sony W5 and H5 when you set
the dial on "Easy", you are not alowed to make any speed or aperature or
iso adjustments, on both cameras the daylight shots come out fine in
full auto but the flash is still manual. The new Fuji F30? is a fast
sensor that will help, Are her hands steady, mechanical Image
Stabilisation is offered on quite a few and does work well, but not
Fuji. As others pointed out size may be an issue, one of the large I.S.
super zooms might not crowd the camera and make it difficult to use.

how to use stoi? which *.h to use? trivial beginners problem... Zahpod C Programming 4 04-21-2006 06:58 PM
Single Mom Can't Concentrate Connie MCSE 25 07-25-2004 06:50 PM
RE: Single Mom Cant Concentrate RH MCSE 1 07-23-2004 10:27 PM
Mom Says I Can't Tom Joloerd MCSE 16 06-05-2004 03:06 AM
Need easy photo hosting for mom This Old Man Digital Photography 2 07-25-2003 03:53 AM

Advertisments