Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > InfraRed Digital Photos

InfraRed Digital Photos

Nanook

I run an ISP and we used to have monthly get togethers at a local
Godfathers Pizza.

One of my customers who is big into amature science, Bill Beaty, brought
a pair of goggles he had made by replacing the lenses of welders goggles with
IR filter material. These goggles were designed so they had a rubber thing
that would mesh with your face to block out all light except that which came
in through the lenses.

The interesting thing is that the human eye actually is somewhat
sensitive down into the near infrared range and if you filter out all of the
light in the visible range, on a bright sunny day outside you can see in the
infrared.

Trees are bright, as if they were snow covered. Automotive tail lamps
just glare.

Anyway, I decided to try to take pictures with an HP digital camera
through one of the lenses of these goggles and I succeeded in getting usable
images.

The camera responded to the infrared light making it into a range of
red/purple/bluish. But the trees are bright just as they appeared visually.

The contrast is much more stark than 35mm infrared photography that I
have seen. I've posted these on my blog so that you can see them:

http://www.eskimo.com/~nanook/blog

Also, if you are interested in seeing Bills Amature Science site it is
at www.amasci.com. It might give you some ideas. There is a lot of "don't
try this at home" kind of stuff on his site.

I am curious who else here has attempted IR with digital and what kind
of results you have gotten. I couldn't really find a newsgroup dedicated to
IR photography, let alone digital.

m Ransley

Get a true IR filter for your camera

Steve Wolfe

> Anyway, I decided to try to take pictures with an HP digital camera
> through one of the lenses of these goggles and I succeeded in getting
> usable
> images.

The camera still has an IR cutoff filter, or it would be sensitive far
deeper into the IR spectrum. The serious folks take out the IR filter and
replace it with plain optical glass...

http://www.lifepixel.com/ir-tutorial...structions.htm

steve

Unclaimed Mysteries

Nanook wrote in part:

> I am curious who else here has attempted IR with digital and what kind
> of results you have gotten. I couldn't really find a newsgroup dedicated to
> IR photography, let alone digital.

Welcome to the dark side.

http://www.lifepixel.com/ ,
among others.

Also this rec.photo.digital crackpot:
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/di...s.php#infrared

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Wayne J. Cosshall

A lot of digital cameras are still IR sensitive to a greater or lesser
degree even with an IR blocking filter built into them. You can see the
results across a range of cameras here:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php>

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

Richard Tomkins

I tested my Nikon 5700 with a remote control and then went out and bought a
Hoya R72 filter.

I have played around and found the results to be quite nice.

I have not done a lot of work in this area, but one thing I was going to
look into and have yet to set up the proper experiment was to see about
using the IR to push the contrast of a colour image, or to somehow boost the
colours. Not proficient enough with Photoshop Elements yet.

Unclaimed Mysteries

Richard Tomkins wrote:
> I tested my Nikon 5700 with a remote control and then went out and bought a
> Hoya R72 filter.
>
> I have played around and found the results to be quite nice.
>
> I have not done a lot of work in this area, but one thing I was going to
> look into and have yet to set up the proper experiment was to see about
> using the IR to push the contrast of a colour image, or to somehow boost the
> colours. Not proficient enough with Photoshop Elements yet.

My comments are based upon use and observation of several digital
cameras over a three-year period, and not a formal analysis. Here goes
anyway:

What you're asking the sensor to do is detect a full-color image, and
augment it with a bit of IR. If you have observed strange, "Tim
Burtonish" colors in your Nikon 5700 IR images, they may be the result
of the electronics trying to make sense of the unusual response of the
red, green, and blue -filtered sites on the CCD to the IR passband
energy, plus a sliver of whatever else leaks through the filter. It
makes for a very weird and colorful image. The general rules of what
shows up bright in IR are still observed - foliage, clouds, etc.

Some people have done what I think you're after by taking two images of
the same scene: one in full color, one in IR. Then they pick the least
noisy channel from the R, G, and B separation of the IR image and lay
it electronically atop the color image and perform various operations
with "Layers" until they get the desired effect. Whew!

This takes a steady camera setup. Your remote will definitely come in
handy here, but you still have to be vewwy vewwy careful when putting on
and taking off the IR filter.

Corry
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"And now, They have even got a machine that can tell if you're thinking.
It's called a TV. If it's off, you're guilty." - Rev. Ivan Stang