Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to buy Fujifilm FinePix F710 ??

Where to buy Fujifilm FinePix F710 ??

minnesotti

Hi there,

I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
since then.

I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
Thanks.

minnesotti

Anybody -- where can I buy the said camera ???

minnesotti wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
> such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
> sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
> at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
> camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
> since then.
>
> I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
> newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
> could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
> Thanks.
>
> ..

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

Yes, it had nice colors and good dynamic range, even good ergonomics..
but it wasn't that good resolution wise, even when compared with other
3Mp cameras, let alone 6's. I would go back and do some more research!

http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...egapixels.html

Given one cannot even be found on Eb*y, it would appear Fuji abandoned
production very quickly - perhaps it just didn't sell..

lubecki@hotmail.com

minnesotti wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
> such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
> sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
> at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
> camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
> since then.
>
> I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
> newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
> could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
> Thanks.

I have two of Fuji's previous version of the same camera - the F700
(it's very similar to the F710 and uses the same sensor). It's a great
camera when it works, but very often it doesn't work. The first one
stopped working on the first day of my 5-day hiking trip in the Smoky
Mountains (after the warranty expired, too). I guess the sensor had a
problem, so all the pictures were purple and green and smudged to the
point of unrecognizability.

This is a known fault of these sensors, and Fuji had a recall on F700s
within certain serial number ranges. Well, guess what, my camera wasn't
included the recall, so now it's an expensive paperweight.

I figured this was just a freak occurrence, I liked the camera, and I
already had a ton of accessories (underwater case, extra batteries,
separate charger, etc.), so I bought a replacement on eBay. Well, 6
months later in the new camera the shutter speed control is screwed up,
so it won't shoot faster than about 1/100, even when the shutter speed
is set faster. So all outdoor pictures are way overexposed. Fuji
Finepix - never again. I got a Panasonic Lumix LX-1 instead, and so far
I'm happy with it. I'll probably still use the screwed up Fuji for
underwater pictures, because you can't really shoot faster than 1/100
underwater anyway.

Other points you may want to consider about the F710 (based on the
F700, but should be applicable):

- It's really a 3mp camera, not 6mp. They call it 6mp because it has a
high-sensitivity and a low-sensitivity element at each "pixel", but the
resolution isn't anywhere near a true 6mp.

- Very poor battery life. 150 shots WITHOUT FLASH and the battery is
done.

- It uses strangely high compression in JPEGs. You can clearly see JPEG
artifacts in pictures. This isn't adjustable.

- The high dynamic range Fuji claims does work, but you really take
advantage of it only when you shoot RAW. The problem with that is that
the RAW files are huuuuge (like 20-30MB, IIRC), because they include
the output of both types of sensors. Even with a 1GB xD card, you won't
get very many shots.

Just my $0.02.

Gniewko

minnesotti

Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
newsgroup until someone answers me...

> Yes, it had nice colors and good dynamic range, even good ergonomics..
> but it wasn't that good resolution wise, even when compared with other
> 3Mp cameras, let alone 6's. I would go back and do some more research!
>
> http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...egapixels.html
>
> Given one cannot even be found on Eb*y, it would appear Fuji abandoned
> production very quickly - perhaps it just didn't sell..
>

> minnesotti wrote:
> > Anybody -- where can I buy the said camera ???
> >
> > minnesotti wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
> > > such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
> > > sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
> > > at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
> > > camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
> > > since then.
> > >
> > > I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
> > > newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
> > > could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > ..

Bill Funk

On 25 Jul 2006 06:07:40 -0700, "minnesotti" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
>Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
>newsgroup until someone answers me...

It would probably be more productive if you looked yourself, instead
of ****ing off those you seem to want to help you, don't you think?

Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
available. Keep looking.
Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
auction sites, for example.
Good Luck!
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

ASAAR

On 25 Jul 2006 06:07:40 -0700, minnesotti wrote:

> Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
> Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
> newsgroup until someone answers me...

You could do that, but it would then make it much less likely that
anyone would help you in the future. I think you're making a
mistake thinking that people here have the answer you're seeking but
just don't want to help. It's more likely that they don't know, and
not getting replies is much better than getting hundreds of

minnesotti

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> minnesotti wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
> > such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
> > sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
> > at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
> > camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
> > since then.
> >
> > I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
> > newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
> > could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
> > Thanks.

> I have two of Fuji's previous version of the same camera - the F700
> (it's very similar to the F710 and uses the same sensor). It's a great
> camera when it works, but very often it doesn't work. The first one
> stopped working on the first day of my 5-day hiking trip in the Smoky
> Mountains (after the warranty expired, too). I guess the sensor had a
> problem, so all the pictures were purple and green and smudged to the
> point of unrecognizability.
>
> This is a known fault of these sensors, and Fuji had a recall on F700s
> within certain serial number ranges. Well, guess what, my camera wasn't
> included the recall, so now it's an expensive paperweight.
>
> I figured this was just a freak occurrence, I liked the camera, and I
> already had a ton of accessories (underwater case, extra batteries,
> separate charger, etc.), so I bought a replacement on eBay. Well, 6
> months later in the new camera the shutter speed control is screwed up,
> so it won't shoot faster than about 1/100, even when the shutter speed
> is set faster. So all outdoor pictures are way overexposed. Fuji
> Finepix - never again. I got a Panasonic Lumix LX-1 instead, and so far
> I'm happy with it. I'll probably still use the screwed up Fuji for
> underwater pictures, because you can't really shoot faster than 1/100
> underwater anyway.
>
> Other points you may want to consider about the F710 (based on the
> F700, but should be applicable):
>
> - It's really a 3mp camera, not 6mp. They call it 6mp because it has a
> high-sensitivity and a low-sensitivity element at each "pixel", but the
> resolution isn't anywhere near a true 6mp.
>
> - Very poor battery life. 150 shots WITHOUT FLASH and the battery is
> done.
>
> - It uses strangely high compression in JPEGs. You can clearly see JPEG
> artifacts in pictures. This isn't adjustable.
>
> - The high dynamic range Fuji claims does work, but you really take
> advantage of it only when you shoot RAW. The problem with that is that
> the RAW files are huuuuge (like 20-30MB, IIRC), because they include
> the output of both types of sensors. Even with a 1GB xD card, you won't
> get very many shots.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Gniewko

Thanks Gniewko. Perhaps this was what I wanted to hear. I put into my
mind that Fuji F710 had the features I wanted and was unique in this
respect, but probably not all is well in this kingdom as I imagined it
to be.

minnesotti

Bill Funk wrote:

> Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
> available. Keep looking.
> Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
> auction sites, for example.

Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
"HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).

Bill Funk

On 26 Jul 2006 03:38:01 -0700, "minnesotti" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
>> available. Keep looking.
>> Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
>> auction sites, for example.

>Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
>"HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
>under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
>high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
>trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
>capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
>snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
>Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).

Thanks for the program name!
But, what does this have to do with finding an F710?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"