Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Print Quality questions

Print Quality questions

Mike S.

Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
questionable.

Randy Berbaum

Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
: make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
: when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
: problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
: made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
: something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
: never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
: 110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
: questionable.

Well first there is no "development" with digital photos. And as to the
printing process having a glitch, the best way to spot it is to look at
the prints. If there is something wrong it will be visible. If you are
asking if the images that have been transferred from your memory card to a
CD along with the printing process has a problem, there is a very easy way
to prevent this possible problem. Do the transfer yourself. If your camera
has a USB cable you can just plug the camera into your home computer and
copy the images to your hard drive (and later burn to a CD for backup). Or
you can get a very cheap card reader that you can put the card from your
camera into and copy the files that way. Either way the copy will then be
guaranteed to be the exact same quality as your camera took.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

m Ransley

Always look before you pay, some cheap places dont relpace the
chemicals on schedule, Ive had dark or redened photos given to me. Photo
labs vary in quality.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Mike
S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
> make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
> when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
> problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
> made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
> something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
> never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
> 110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
> questionable.

The quality of 110 was always questionable.

jeremy

"m Ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Always look before you pay, some cheap places dont relpace the
> chemicals on schedule, Ive had dark or redened photos given to me. Photo
> labs vary in quality.

Kodak Photo Kiosks use a dye sublimation printer, that has a replaceable
ribbon. When the ribbon runs out, it must be replaced or the kiosk cannot
make any more prints. I hadn't given it any thought previously, but that
method of printing does ensure that the vendor cannot try to squeeze more
prints out and shortchange the consumer.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
> make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
> when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
> problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
> made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
> something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
> never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
> 110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
> questionable.

you'll find out that with digital you'll be getting much better photos than
with film, because digital cameras do automatically adjust the white balance
and the sensor has much greater exposure latitude than film and the
in-camera processing of the snapshots gives them more acutance.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion

Hebee Jeebes

Look before you pay. If you don't like a print make them do it again.

"Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
> make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
> when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
> problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
> made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
> something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
> never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
> 110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
> questionable.

Hebee Jeebes

Randy you are wrong. There you can get your digital prints one of two ways.
Either from a lab that uses a printer like a dye sub or something (kiosks
uses these always) or you can get them chemically processed just like film
would be. My local shutterbug store offers it both ways. I always go for the
chemical prints, it is a more manual process and I don't have to worry about
auto guessing software trying to decide if the grass should be green or the
sky. The chemical prints are a little more expensive because of the man
power involved.

"Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e9vbmu$e4a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Is it best to check your photos at the store before you pay for them to
> : make sure the quality is ok? No one I know has ever done that but today
> : when I went to pick up my prints, I saw a sign that the lab was having
> : problems with the equipment so they couldn't process any pictures. It
> : made me wonder if my pictures would be affected by that. So, is there
> : something I should look for on the prints to make sure they're ok? I've
> : never had digital pictures developed or printed before. We always used
> : 110 film and 35mm film and the quality of the prints was often
> : questionable.
>
> Well first there is no "development" with digital photos. And as to the
> printing process having a glitch, the best way to spot it is to look at
> the prints. If there is something wrong it will be visible. If you are
> asking if the images that have been transferred from your memory card to a
> CD along with the printing process has a problem, there is a very easy way
> to prevent this possible problem. Do the transfer yourself. If your camera
> has a USB cable you can just plug the camera into your home computer and
> copy the images to your hard drive (and later burn to a CD for backup). Or
> you can get a very cheap card reader that you can put the card from your
> camera into and copy the files that way. Either way the copy will then be
> guaranteed to be the exact same quality as your camera took.
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Randy Berbaum

Hebee Jeebes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Randy you are wrong. There you can get your digital prints one of two
: ways. Either from a lab that uses a printer like a dye sub or
: something (kiosks uses these always) or you can get them chemically
: processed just like film would be. My local shutterbug store offers it
: both ways. I always go for the chemical prints, it is a more manual
: process and I don't have to worry about auto guessing software trying
: to decide if the grass should be green or the sky. The chemical prints
: are a little more expensive because of the man power involved.

Maybe we are talking about two different things. To me, "developing"
involves taking a storage media holding a virtual image and dunking it in
chemicals to make the virtual image visible (like is done with film). I
would think that taking an SD card and immersing it in a pan of chemicals
would not likely cause it to bring forth visual images. On the other
hand, you are correct that there are many different types of printing
processes. Some may involve chemical developers.

The way I read the original post it seemed to me that the OP was used to
taking a roll of film to a store to have the film developed and got photos
back. But when they changed to digital they still think they have to take
the "digital film" to a store to have it "developed". I was just pointing
out that the "digital film" from the camera does not require someone in a
lab to develop the images. The only thing that is done when a digital
camera is taken to the store is that the images on the memory card are
printed (by one process or another) and in some cases transferred to a CD.
Some of these transfers are direct copys from the memory card and some
seem to be processed in some way and so may be smaller image files than
the original. Of course, since I do all my own downloading of image data,
editing, and printing of my images I am inexperienced in what these
"digital photo labs" (at the level of your local Walmart) actually do. If
my understanding of their "processing" is incorrect I will gladly bow to
anyone with direct experience.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL