Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need a $100 point and shoot for the wife

Need a $100 point and shoot for the wife

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Neil Harrington wrote:

> Ritz is okay (why "if you can stomach the thought"?), but I'm not so
> enthused about the Coolpix L series. Like many other makers, Nikon has
> abandoned the optical viewfinder on these new ultracompact models in
> favor of a larger LCD monitor. The larger LCD is nice, but having no
> optical finder can be exasperating in bright sunlight on every such
> camera I've used.

Well, I don't like pushy uneducated sales people that can't take "NO" for an
answer. My only purchase from Ritz was a D70 when they were first
introduced. They were the only ones that had them in stock so if I wanted
one I had to buy it there. I just told the sales person that I want it and
here's the cash. The miserable bastard kept going on and on about extended
warranties and tried to put fear of the Nikon Gods in me if something would
fail. This went on for almost 15-minutes and this was his fourth attempt to
sell me the extended warranty. I told him previously if it breaks I'd throw
it in the trash since I never buy extended warranties. I finally said that
if he asks me about the warranty again the sale will be off and I will walk
out the door. We got passed it and I was never back since.

> I think Nikon's high point in ultracompacts was the 3200/4100/4600
> models for AA-battery use, or for some more bucks the
> 4200/5200/5900/7900 models which are my favorites for that size
> camera. Nikon hasn't come out with anything since that I find as
> appealing, I'm sorry to say. The P3 and P4 are interesting but again,
> no optical viewfinder and that cools my interest considerably.

Honestly I can live without an optical viewfinder on a P&S if the LCD is
bright enough.

Rita

ASAAR

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:03:34 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>> The D2x is hard to find at the $100 price point, though.

> LOL! It's an inside joke to stimulate the idiots in that other group EF,
> yourself, and I frequent. You know I always reccommend to use whatever
> works for eBay pics.

What? And all along I thought you were recommending it because
the D2x was so designated due to being powered by a pair of Xeons.

ASAAR wrote:

>> LOL! It's an inside joke to stimulate the idiots in that other
>> group EF, yourself, and I frequent. You know I always reccommend to
>> use whatever works for eBay pics.

> What? And all along I thought you were recommending it because
> the D2x was so designated due to being powered by a pair of Xeons.

LOL! I like it. Can I use that line?

Rita

ASAAR

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:48:58 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>> What? And all along I thought you were recommending it because
>> the D2x was so designated due to being powered by a pair of Xeons.

> LOL! I like it. Can I use that line?

You are hereby granted exclusive rights to the use of that line,
but only so long as it is used at least once in every calendar year.
Failure to do so will cause said rights to revert to the author.

Neil Harrington

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>> Ritz is okay (why "if you can stomach the thought"?), but I'm not so
>> enthused about the Coolpix L series. Like many other makers, Nikon has
>> abandoned the optical viewfinder on these new ultracompact models in
>> favor of a larger LCD monitor. The larger LCD is nice, but having no
>> optical finder can be exasperating in bright sunlight on every such
>> camera I've used.

> Well, I don't like pushy uneducated sales people that can't take "NO" for
> an
> answer.

I thoroughly agree with you there.

> My only purchase from Ritz was a D70 when they were first
> introduced. They were the only ones that had them in stock so if I wanted
> one I had to buy it there. I just told the sales person that I want it
> and
> here's the cash. The miserable bastard kept going on and on about
> extended
> warranties and tried to put fear of the Nikon Gods in me if something
> would
> fail. This went on for almost 15-minutes and this was his fourth attempt
> sell me the extended warranty. I told him previously if it breaks I'd
> throw
> it in the trash since I never buy extended warranties. I finally said
> that
> if he asks me about the warranty again the sale will be off and I will
> walk
> out the door. We got passed it and I was never back since.

Yes, I can see that being extremely annoying.

I've done business with Ritz very few times, actually about the time they
merged (or whatever the arrangement was) with Camera World of Oregon, and it
was CWO that I ordered from but Ritz did the actual shipping. So evidently I
was actually buying from Ritz. That was quick, easy and problem-free. I
never talked or communicated directly with anyone from Ritz.

>> I think Nikon's high point in ultracompacts was the 3200/4100/4600
>> models for AA-battery use, or for some more bucks the
>> 4200/5200/5900/7900 models which are my favorites for that size
>> camera. Nikon hasn't come out with anything since that I find as
>> appealing, I'm sorry to say. The P3 and P4 are interesting but again,
>> no optical viewfinder and that cools my interest considerably.

> Honestly I can live without an optical viewfinder on a P&S if the LCD is
> bright enough.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll give the finderless ultracompacts another try then. They
are clearly the trend in that size camera, that's for sure. And it's hard to
imagine Nikon doing anything really wrong designwise.

Also, now that I think about it, there are those aftermarket folding hood
thingies for such cameras. Those should help.

My main experience was with a Minolta X20. Though its LCD was
"anti-reflection coated," my nephew found it just impossible to use in
bright sunlight, and later I found it so too.

Neil

editor@netpath.net

SMS quoted me:
> > Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
> > but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
> > controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
> > cards. Uses 4 AA batteries. LOTS of photos - even flash - per set of
> > batteries or charge (if you use rechargeables).

and replied:
> I think that you mean the A60.

Sorry, you're right - my mistake. (Just checked mine.) It's a
great carry-with-you digicam that does most everything the prosumer
digicams do just about as well and a lot more conveniently for a lot
less money. (I've got plenty of experience with both.)

editor@netpath.net

SMS wrote:
> > EF in FLA wrote:
> >> 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
> >> borrow mine.
> >> Recommendations?

> > Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
> > but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
> > controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
> > cards. Uses 4 AA batteries. LOTS of photos - even flash - per set of
> > batteries or charge (if you use rechargeables).

> I think that you mean the A60.

EF in FLA

> LOL! It's an inside joke to stimulate the idiots in that other group EF,
> yourself, and I frequent.

What a small world it is. I stopped frequenting AMOE and began hanging at
alt.guitar, and well whadyaknow.....there's Lumpy.

ef

EF in FLA wrote:

>> LOL! It's an inside joke to stimulate the idiots in that other
>> group EF, yourself, and I frequent.

> What a small world it is. I stopped frequenting AMOE and began
> hanging at alt.guitar, and well whadyaknow.....there's Lumpy.

Yeah, I know what you mean. AMOE is definitely a dead group, but I like to
stir things up a bit to inject some life into it.

Rita

Roy G

And it's hard to
> imagine Nikon doing anything really wrong designwise.
>

> Neil

Hi.

I would not be too sure about that nowadays, market forces are becoming too
compelling. As an example have you looked at their 55 -200 DX lens.

Roy G