Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Checking photos on DVDs

Checking photos on DVDs

MikeM

Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
individually on the monitor?

Thanks
Mike

Gene Palmiter

There might be. I can tell you that if you zip them up they will take a bit
less space and you can extract them occasionally to see if it does the bit
check right.

More technically oriented people will pass by soon with more details.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"MikeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Jürgen Eidt

"MikeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?

Would this work for you? :
http://jurgene.spaces.msn.com/blog/cns!ECF9470581AA39EA!205.entry

Daryl Bryant

I just use Nero burning software. Has an option to verify data quality!
Remember Never write or attach stickers to the back side of your DVD or
CD-ROMS. Because the backing material is where the data is written - thru
the clear plastic to the metallic material!!!

--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
"MikeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
MikeM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?

Just select all the photos and copy them to your hard disk, then delete
them ... assuming you have the space. Odds are high that any corrupt
files simply will elicit an error when the copy process attempts to
access them. Or run a disk checking program against the DVD.

trivial guy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
MikeM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
>opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
>individually on the monitor?

You can create PAR files, which can also recover damaged files
(to a degree):

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

l v

MikeM wrote:
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

The only automated option that I can think of would be to calculate a
MD5 checksum for each file on your DVDs and store those "master"
checksums in different location(s). You can then validate your DVDs by
recalculating the checksum and comparing with the "master".

This is common with software downloads where you compare your checksum
with the "master" checksum from the supplier.

I have not used the following ( http://www.irnis.net/ ) but one of their
products does sound like what you are looking for.

--

Len

stauffer@usfamily.net

MikeM wrote:
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

This is generally not much of a problem. The file structure has error
checking codes. If the write operation during transfer from your card
or hard drive is bad, the transfer should stop and notify you
immediately.

RPN

MikeM wrote:
> Is there any software that can check actual image files for damage, as
> opposed to the disk surface, on DVDs without looking at each one
> individually on the monitor?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

What I do is place all the files that are going on the DVD in directory
"A", make the DVD, and then copy all the files from the newly created
DVD into directory "B".

I then use CloneSpy (http://www.clonespy.com) to compare "A" to "B" and
delete all duplicate files found in "B". If the files in "B" are all
deleted, I figure I have a good copy.

If space is at a premium, you could compare directly to the DVD and
delete from "A", but that makes me a little nervous. I like to have the
originals around until I am sure all is OK and backed up on two DVDs
that have passed the test.

Bill Funk

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:54:47 -0700, "Daryl Bryant"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just use Nero burning software. Has an option to verify data quality!
>Remember Never write or attach stickers to the back side of your DVD or
>CD-ROMS. Because the backing material is where the data is written - thru
>the clear plastic to the metallic material!!!

Not true for DVDs. They do have an extra layer on the back, and that's
really because of the problem with CDs and their susceptibility to
damage on the back.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"