Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High end super zooms

High end super zooms

SJ

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:12:21 -0400, SJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><HTML><HEAD>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2745.2800" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

Please fix your newsreader to not post all this HTML crap in a text only
newsgroup.

Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Don, could you tell me how to go about doing that?
Scott

ASAAR

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:45:18 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

>> The lenses are different on the different cameras, but the size of the
>> sensor limits the range of the zoom.

> Could you explain what you mean by that?

He probably didn't mean that the size of the sensor limits the
zoom's range (6x, 10x, 12x, etc.), but rather the actual focal
lengths, as a 70mm - 200mm lens on one camera might appear as a
140mm - 400mm lens on a camera having a smaller sensor. At least I
hope that's what he meant.

SJ

How well do the Panasonic batteries work? I know they are Lithium
rechargeable, can you take them out of the camera or get extra ones if you
want to?

"Daniel Silevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:32:03 -0400, SJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SJ wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
>>> and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think
>>> I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
>>>
>>> Sony H5
>>> Canon S3 IS
>>> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30

>>> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
>>> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
>>> appreciated. Scott

>> You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.

> I'm not really sure I need a 10mp camera and wonder if it (the FZ50) would
> be worth the price difference.

Probably not. The difference between 8 and 10 megapixels is pretty
minor, especially once you realize that the important number (linear
resolution) goes like the square root of the number of pixels.

If nothing else, the FZ30 will probably drop in price due to the
announcement of its successor.

For whatever it's worth, I've been very happy with my FZ5 (predecessor
to the FZ7). I know a couple of people with FZ7s who like them.

-dms

ASAAR

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:38:04 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> Samsung has a 15x (!!!) camera that goes down to 28ish mm, but it got
> lousy reviews compared to competitors like the FZ30 or the S9000.

But from a review I read (and I posted an excerpt from it the
other day), the Samsung should do a far better job of pounding tent
pegs into the ground. It does have an impressively large 3.5" LCD
display, which might make it the ideal camera for chimps.

Daniel Silevitch

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:07:50 -0400, SJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Daniel Silevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> For whatever it's worth, I've been very happy with my FZ5 (predecessor
>> to the FZ7). I know a couple of people with FZ7s who like them.

> How well do the Panasonic batteries work? I know they are Lithium
> rechargeable, can you take them out of the camera or get extra ones if you
> want to?

Yes, they are removable batteries. You need to remove the battery from
the camera to charge it using the charger that comes with the camera.
Extra batteries are available, both from Panasonic and from 3rd party
suppliers.

I get 250ish shots per charge, with some variation depending on what I'm
doing (lots of flash usage eats additional power, for instance).

-dms

dj_nme@hotmail.com

J. Clarke wrote:

> C wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > m Ransley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> The typical range is 36-432, on 12x zooms, in looking at a few that
> >>have nearly exact figures I wonder if each company makes their own. It
> >>is known sony makes alot of Canon ccds, it is probably the same for
> >>other components.

> > The lenses are different on the different cameras, but the size of the
> > sensor limits the range of the zoom.

> How so? If that were the case then one would expect to see more than 12x
> zoom ranges on DSLRs, and in fact one doesn't even see zoom ranges quite
> that large.

The smaller the sensor, the easier it is to fit a longer equivalent
zoom lens that isn't physicaly huge.
The closest to a "super zoom" lens that I've seen for a SLR is the the
Sigma "bigma" 50-500mm, and it is a huge monster of a lens.
On the other hand, the 7.2-5.80mm lens (7x zoom) on the KM Dimage A200
is about the same size (at full zoom) as a Jupiter 9 85mm f1:2 lens,
and only slightly larger in overall size than a Pentax 50mm f1:1.4
lens.

> > The size of the camera limits
> > the size of the sensor.

Not realy.
Compare the sensor versus body size of a 2/3" CCD "bridge" camera (like
the FZ20 or A200) to that of a APS-c DSLR (like the Rebel XT or
*ist-Ds).
The smaller size body is IMHO more restricted by ergononmics to how
small it can get.
Conversely, there are very large DSLR cameras that have an "ordinary"
sized sensor, such as the Nikon D1 and D2 family of cameras, which are
great lumps of camera with sensors no larger (or not much larger) than
that of the *ist-Ds or EOS 30D.

sally

"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :
> How well do the Panasonic batteries work? I know they are Lithium
> rechargeable, can you take them out of the camera or get extra ones
> if you want to?

Extra batteries are available, but they are expensive (around $40 each).
For that reason, many people prefer cameras that can use inexpensive and
widely available AA NiMH batteries.

ASAAR

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:04:29 -0400, SJ wrote:

> Please fix your newsreader to not post all this HTML crap in a text only
> newsgroup.
> . . .
>
> Don, could you tell me how to go about doing that?

Take a look in Tools -> Options and then examine the options under
the Send and Read tabs. Under the former, there are a couple of
"radio" buttons that allow you to choose between plain text and HTML
for email and news. There's also a checkbox for "Reply to messages
using the format in which they were sent", which you may want to
make sure isn't checked, otherwise OE may send HTML without you
being aware of it, especially if you don't have "Read all messages
in plain text" marked under the Send tab.

I'm not sure whether any of this is needed though, as your last
reply had no trace of HTML in it, other than what appeared in the
quoted text. Do you share your computer with anyone?

SJ

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :
Extra batteries are available, but they are expensive (around $40 each).
For that reason, many people prefer cameras that can use inexpensive and
widely available AA NiMH batteries.

Sally, the rechargeable battery is one of the things I don't like about the
panasonic. I'd rather use AA, but sometimes you have can't always get
exactly what you want.

David J Taylor

SJ wrote:
> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image
> stabilization and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing
> any that you think I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm
> looking at the
>
> Sony H5
> Canon S3 IS
> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
>
> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I
> really don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any
> input appreciated. Scott

My wife has the FZ20 (5MP precursor to the FZ30), and I have the FZ5 (5MP
precursor to the FZ7), and we have both been delighted with the cameras,
their capabilities, and the quality of the resulting images. We both like
the single-cell Li-ion battery (as opposed to multiple AA cells) and it
gives excellent life. The only thing I miss is a swivel LCD, so that
might help you decide between the FZ7 and FZ30.

All the cameras you mention are worth considering - my view is that the
Panasonic have the best lenses of the three - but if possible get down to
the camera shop and try them in your hands. There is quite a different
feel to them. I did look at the Canon S2 IS but I didn't like it at all
when I actually handled it. I wouldn't get a Memory-Stick-only camera.

David

What P&S Super Zooms have 205,000-230,000 pixel EVF's? Paul D. Sullivan Digital Photography 3 05-24-2007 07:35 PM
Super Zooms, Noise Reduction Rich Belthoff Digital Photography 10 07-08-2006 09:03 AM
Any good super tele zooms? SimonLW Digital Photography 6 05-18-2005 12:55 PM
super.super.super how? Java 24 02-24-2005 10:51 PM
Re: Can someone explain how digital camera optical zooms compare to film camera zooms? fruitbat Digital Photography 1 09-17-2003 10:11 PM

Advertisments