Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High end super zooms

Reply
Thread Tools

High end super zooms

 
 
SJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization and
have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think I
should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the

Sony H5
Canon S3 IS
Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30

Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input appreciated.
Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006

"SJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
...

>
> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
> appreciated.
> Scott
>


What are you really looking for in that zoom range.

A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms. In addition on one
camera the 100-2000 might give you an image that looks 40 times closer than
with your eyes or it may be 80 depending on the size of the sensor.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
m Ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
I have the H5, the H2 is also very good. The H5 Is a bit better then the
S3Is for sharpness, LCD, iso, long exposure, smart zoom, and noise, Sony
makes Canons sensor. The S3is has better movie mode and 4 batteries sony
has 2 and you need to carry extras. The Panasonics are good but noisier.
The fz30 is not much-at all, better than the fz20 because of noise
acording to dpreview . Fuji has no I.S. so it cant compete, Kodak is
good but perhaps the lower of the group but they have a new 7mp comming
out. Does canon have what is similar to Sony Smart Zoom? It gives you
14x optical quality at 5 mp, full lcd view, Panasonic has this option.
For just the joy of viewing photos Sonys 3" Lcd can`t be beat, but the
Canon s3is rates tops in many reviews overall, but I don`t care about
their superior movie mode and carry extra batteries.

 
Reply With Quote
 
BRH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
SJ wrote:
> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
> and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think
> I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
>
> Sony H5
> Canon S3 IS
> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
>
> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input appreciated.
> Scott


FWIW -- I just ordered the Panasonic FZ7 from Amazon (still awaiting
delivery). I looked at the H5 and the Fuji (can't recall the model).
The H5 was a bit small in my hands and I didn't like the
location/operation of the zoom controls, but I loved its large LCD. I
decided against the Fujis since they do not have Image Stabilization
(important with high-end zooms).

If you have a Circuit City store near you, I would recommend checking
out the various models there. (Don't necessarily buy there though, if
you're looking for the best price). They have numerous models that you
can try out. But go with your own expereince and feelings because their
sales staff is clueless.

 
Reply With Quote
 
C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
In article <U1cwg.39994$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
>
> A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.


Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would rather
have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide angle, which
isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BRH <BRH> wrote:
>FWIW -- I just ordered the Panasonic FZ7 from Amazon (still awaiting
>delivery). I looked at the H5 and the Fuji (can't recall the model).
>The H5 was a bit small in my hands and I didn't like the
>location/operation of the zoom controls, but I loved its large LCD.


I prefer the fold-out LCDs on the Canons and higher-end Panasonics. They are
really handy when you're shooting from high or low angles.
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
SJ wrote:

> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
> and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think I
> should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
>
> Sony H5
> Canon S3 IS
> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
>
> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
> appreciated. Scott


You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
C wrote:
> In article <U1cwg.39994$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
>>
>> A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.

>
> Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would
> rather have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide
> angle, which isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.


I don't know what is available in compact digitals. I have not been
following them. I tend to DSLR's. For my digital SLR I have a very wide to
moderate wide zoom which I love. (10-22 with a 1.6 crop camera equivalent to
a 16 - 35mm.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


 
Reply With Quote
 
m Ransley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
The typical range is 36-432, on 12x zooms, in looking at a few that
have nearly exact figures I wonder if each company makes their own. It
is known sony makes alot of Canon ccds, it is probably the same for
other components.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Silevitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:02:45 +0000 (UTC), C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <U1cwg.39994$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
>>
>> A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.

>
> Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would rather
> have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide angle, which
> isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.


Not really. The best you could do would be take a superzoom with a
threaded lens (or with an adapter that provides a thread) and attach a
0.7x or thereabouts wide converter.

Samsung has a 15x (!!!) camera that goes down to 28ish mm, but it got
lousy reviews compared to competitors like the FZ30 or the S9000.

-dms
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What P&S Super Zooms have 205,000-230,000 pixel EVF's? Paul D. Sullivan Digital Photography 3 05-24-2007 07:35 PM
Super Zooms, Noise Reduction Rich Belthoff Digital Photography 10 07-08-2006 09:03 AM
Any good super tele zooms? SimonLW Digital Photography 6 05-18-2005 12:55 PM
super.super.super how? Java 24 02-24-2005 10:51 PM
Re: Can someone explain how digital camera optical zooms compare to film camera zooms? fruitbat Digital Photography 1 09-17-2003 10:11 PM



Advertisments