Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > picasa

picasa

Helen

"Bill K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> We shot a wedding north of San Diego in temps of 115F, not sure of the
>> conversion, but around 40C, I'm guessing.
>> A roadway in Central Cal did partially melt, causing a 5 mile backup on a
>> major freeway...
>>

> Thank God for air conditioning. Louisiana wouldn't be habitable
> otherwise. It just barely is as it stands anyway.
> --

Aircon is a comparative rarity in the UK. One end of my local supermarket
is very cold, the other end is hot. The best place to be at present is in
my car.

Helen

"SkipM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> We shot a wedding north of San Diego in temps of 115F, not sure of the
> conversion, but around 40C, I'm guessing.
> A roadway in Central Cal did partially melt, causing a 5 mile backup on a
> major freeway...

115 is 46!! Phew. Poor bride.

Ron Hunter

Bill K wrote:
> SkipM wrote:
>> "Helen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Bill K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>>
>>> Yes, I saw on the news they had to use winter gritting machines to
>>> reconstitute some roads here. I had the misfortune to have to go to
>>> central London today, my accountant called; the temperature on the
>>> Bakerloo line must have been 50 C undergound, but I read that LA has it
>>> pretty bad, temps over 40 C. No way.
>>>

>> We shot a wedding north of San Diego in temps of 115F, not sure of the
>> conversion, but around 40C, I'm guessing.
>> A roadway in Central Cal did partially melt, causing a 5 mile backup on a
>> major freeway...
>>
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> Thank God for air conditioning. Louisiana wouldn't be habitable
> otherwise. It just barely is as it stands anyway.

Nor would most of Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona! Also, my sister-in-law
in Kansas has been enjoying her 106 degree temps... It's a darn hot summer!
Was a 'cool' 94 here yesterday.

And 115F is 46C!

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:55:49 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Snipped

>Nor would most of Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona! Also, my sister-in-law
>in Kansas has been enjoying her 106 degree temps... It's a darn hot summer!
>Was a 'cool' 94 here yesterday.
>
>And 115F is 46C!

I live in central Texas and you don't need air conditioning if you
don't live in a modern box house (people have been living all over
Texas for hundreds of years without air conditioning).

Our house built in 1884 has no air conditioning on the first floor.
and is conformatable in 100+ weather. You just need 12 foot ceiling,
double hung floor to ceiling windows which you can open both at the
top and bottom, and porches on all sides of the house and floors which
have about a 10 foot over hang. You use the stair well as a heat
chimney and learn to cool the house at night and keep it closed during
the day.

--

"One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.
One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.

"Sweet Banana"
Battle hymm of the Rhodesian African Rifles

Ron Hunter

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:55:49 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> Snipped
>> Nor would most of Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona! Also, my sister-in-law
>> in Kansas has been enjoying her 106 degree temps... It's a darn hot summer!
>> Was a 'cool' 94 here yesterday.
>>
>> And 115F is 46C!

> I live in central Texas and you don't need air conditioning if you
> don't live in a modern box house (people have been living all over
> Texas for hundreds of years without air conditioning).
>
> Our house built in 1884 has no air conditioning on the first floor.
> and is conformatable in 100+ weather. You just need 12 foot ceiling,
> double hung floor to ceiling windows which you can open both at the
> top and bottom, and porches on all sides of the house and floors which
> have about a 10 foot over hang. You use the stair well as a heat
> chimney and learn to cool the house at night and keep it closed during
> the day.

Sorry, but if it 100 degrees, and you have no way to cool the air, it is
HOT. I have lived in central Texas, and lived there without air
conditioning, but I didn't enjoy it. Believe it or not a lot of people
live in Tuscon, AZ without air conditioning, and they think it is fine.
I am very sensitive to heat, and am miserable at anything over 72
degrees. On the other hand, I am quite happy at 42 degrees...
So, everyone has his own temperature range.
It is quite true that the old houses were designed to make living
without air conditioning as tolerable as possible.