Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > JPEG and lossy

JPEG and lossy

ASAAR

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:00:55 -0400, a very gruff Ed Ruf wrote:

> Gotta love you and Ron all of a sudden giving a hoot about this, as it
> would seem you could care less until John whined about it, as my newsreader
> has been configured this way for years.
>
> Before anyone replies, Yes I'm being a bastard and you can thank John for
> that. Had he been at least the bit patient this all would be moot. The fact
> he had open his big mouth because I hadn't moved quick enough to suit him
> is the cause for my being an ass. So be it. Don't like it? Kill file me, I
> could care less.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Wow. First there's John's exceedingly polite request:

> And, Ed, if you'd kindly place a sig delimiter before your tag lines,
> it'd be appreciated.

and when you replied about 6 hours later without modifying the
sig. delimiter, just a very mild:

> Your sig delimiter is still missing.

and you're blaming your childish behavior on John's impatience?
There's more to your slowly deteriorating maturity than you're
apparently willing to admit to, but John is not the cause. Anyone
reading your recent replies probably has noticed a number of them
exhibiting a "chip on shoulder" attitude. This thread has just
taken it to a higher level. The old Ed was a valued contributor to
this ng and his return would be appreciated, if possible.

John McWilliams

On 7/23/06 5:00 PM, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

>> A correctly configured newsreader recognizes "\n-- \n" as a signature
>> delimiter. Yours is misconfigured.

> Gotta love you and Ron all of a sudden giving a hoot about this, as it
> would seem you could care less until John whined about it, as my newsreader
> has been configured this way for years.
>
> Before anyone replies, Yes I'm being a bastard and you can thank John for
> that. Had he been at least the bit patient this all would be moot. The fact
> he had open his big mouth because I hadn't moved quick enough to suit him
> is the cause for my being an ass. So be it. Don't like it? Kill file me, I
> could care less.

Ed-

Yes, I was a bit impatient, and sorry I tweaked you to such an extent.
How about we put all this behind us and get back to photography?

--
John

Bill Funk

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:42:02 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:27:54 -0700, in rec.photo.digital John McWilliams
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Of course, Ed, I am not a rocket scientist, but I swear most folks are
>>able to correct a sig delimiter without getting in a swivet.
>>

> Neither am I. And I have corrected it to use two dashes which my
>newsreader properly parses. Maybe you need to take your own advise and use
>a proper program for the task at hand?

You have spent far more energy in this thread than changing your
delimiter would have taken.
And demonstrated an immaturity, to boot.
*That's* efficient!
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:00:55 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Before anyone replies, Yes I'm being a bastard and you can thank John for
>that. Had he been at least the bit patient this all would be moot. The fact
>he had open his big mouth because I hadn't moved quick enough to suit him
>is the cause for my being an ass. So be it. Don't like it? Kill file me, I
>could care less.

That's BULLSHIT!
John hasn't forced you into anything.
It's truly pathetic to do something of your own will, then claim
someone else forced you into it.
It's simply your own immaturith that keeps you from changing your
delimiter; John only pointed out that it doesn't work right. That it
works in *YOUR* reader isn't the point. You've made this into a
personal attack, when that wasn't the intent.
Grow up. Changing the delimiter is very easy (you even point out that
you know how to, and have indeed made it the way it is), and could be
easily considered to be the considerate thing to do (something that
wouyld even be in your favor).
But instead, you act the bastard (by your own admission), and blame
someone else for your tantrum.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:28:46 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Keith) wrote:

>Morton Linder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Conrad wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Working with JPEG files - does opening and closing cause lossy damage
>> > to image or do you have to perform tweaks (i.e., within Photoshop) to
>> > cause any potential loss of quality?
>> >

>> > TIA,
>> >
>> > Conrad
>> > Camp Sherman, Oregon
>> >

>> Try using Picasa2. No matter what you do to your image, Picasa2 retains
>> the original image. All tweaks can be cancelled easily, returning you to
>> your original image with no loss.
>> Morton
>> --

>iPhoto does the same kind of thing ( as well as Aperture ) It keeps the
>original and you can tweak the image to your hearts content. If you
>don't like the changes/edits you can revert to the original and start
>again anytime.

Don't all image editing apps act like this?
I've had a bunch, and all of them will let you edit to your heart's
content, without saving/overwriting the original file, *unless you
tell it to*.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"