Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lightroom beta for windows

Lightroom beta for windows

Gene Palmiter

Just loaded it last night....first impressions is that it is not intuitive.
Looks like I will have to have a look at the video and manual.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Rutger wrote:
>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/l...rackingid=IFQT
>>
>> Rutger

> Thank you.
>
> --
> Frank ess

Frank ess

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> Just loaded it last night....first impressions is that it is not
> intuitive. Looks like I will have to have a look at the video and
> manual.

I _hate_ it when that happens.

I've had only a few minutes to look at it. It seems to me I shouldn't
have to spend so much time looking for commonly used controls or
choice buttons.

Like any other worthwhile tool, it may take some serious study to get
a good handle on it.

--
Frank ess

David Cleland

>> and I love it ! it is almost identical to the mac version in terms of
>> look - I grabbed some screens at
>> http://www.toppocket.net/software/ad...-lightroom-pc/ I am
>> addicted and will definitely be buying this the second it comes out !
>>
>> David
>>It looks a lot like RAWSHOOTER

I have not come across Rawshooter, I have to confess I have found the beta
very slow today, and it has spent much of the time 'checking thumbnails' I
think it will be great when it is finished but there is much to do I think.

David

www.toppocket.net

Gene Palmiter

Again....this is just first impressions. But, it seems to be using a
vocabulary of it's own. I was hoping it was based on Bridge. Well, if its
realy unique I suppose it might have to set a standard rather than follow
one. But, I have only so many hours in a day and I would prefer to use them
shooting my camera.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
freebridge design group

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>> Just loaded it last night....first impressions is that it is not
>> intuitive. Looks like I will have to have a look at the video and
>> manual.

> I _hate_ it when that happens.
>
> I've had only a few minutes to look at it. It seems to me I shouldn't have
> to spend so much time looking for commonly used controls or choice
> buttons.
>
> Like any other worthwhile tool, it may take some serious study to get a
> good handle on it.
>
> --
> Frank ess

Hebee Jeebes

I don't know if any one has but there are some great Lightroom demo videos
at:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

They are free and really show some of the unique features it has.

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Again....this is just first impressions. But, it seems to be using a
> vocabulary of it's own. I was hoping it was based on Bridge. Well, if its
> realy unique I suppose it might have to set a standard rather than follow
> one. But, I have only so many hours in a day and I would prefer to use
> them shooting my camera.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Gene Palmiter
> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
> freebridge design group
>
> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>>> Just loaded it last night....first impressions is that it is not
>>> intuitive. Looks like I will have to have a look at the video and
>>> manual.

>> I _hate_ it when that happens.
>>
>> I've had only a few minutes to look at it. It seems to me I shouldn't
>> have to spend so much time looking for commonly used controls or choice
>> buttons.
>>
>> Like any other worthwhile tool, it may take some serious study to get a
>> good handle on it.
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess

John McWilliams

On 7/20/06 9:52 PM, Hebee Jeebes wrote:
> I don't know if any one has but there are some great Lightroom demo videos
> at:
>
> http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html
>
> They are free and really show some of the unique features it has.

Additional videos at Apple Music store, video podcasts. See photoshop.tv
and Lightroom Beta.

--
John McWilliams

Alex E

I've been using it since the beta was released, and after a bit of a
shakey start (and quite a while of it creating thumbnails) I'm really
starting to like it. Also, like Guy said yesterday, for a beta it's so
far been stable.

I have been using Adobe Bridge to organise my photos, so I was quite
eager to see what Lightroom was gonna be able to do. I'm finding
organising things into 'shoots' is a good idea, and the quick groups
selection is good too.

Gonna use it after a shoot on Sunday, see how it compares with actually
importing photos I've just downloaded, and catagorizing them.

Regards,
Alex

David Cleland

"Alex E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've been using it since the beta was released, and after a bit of a
> shakey start (and quite a while of it creating thumbnails) I'm really
> starting to like it. Also, like Guy said yesterday, for a beta it's so
> far been stable.

Although everytime I start lightroom within 2-3 mins it goes back to
"checking thumbnails" and my entire system starts to struggle

David
www.toppocket.net

Stan Beck

It sounds like this is going to be a memory intensive application. I've
heard that this new Microsoft OS (Vista?) is going to want about 3 gigs of
RAM - maybe this application was written with that in mind.

--
Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS

It's hard to soar with the eagles in the morning if you've been hooting with
the owls all night.

To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

"David Cleland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e9qgtn$mhu$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...

> "Alex E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> I've been using it since the beta was released, and after a bit of a
>> shakey start (and quite a while of it creating thumbnails) I'm really
>> starting to like it. Also, like Guy said yesterday, for a beta it's so
>> far been stable.

> Although everytime I start lightroom within 2-3 mins it goes back to
> "checking thumbnails" and my entire system starts to struggle
>
> David
> www.toppocket.net

David Cleland

> It sounds like this is going to be a memory intensive application. I've
> heard that this new Microsoft OS (Vista?) is going to want about 3 gigs of
> RAM - maybe this application was written with that in mind.

Vista is not going to need 3gig, infact MS have added a spec profile that
you can run on your machine to tell you what you need to do to get vista to
run at www.windowsvista.com - I think much of the high power stuff is gloss
anyway ?

As for Lightroom I can see the benefits but I think there is a bit to go
yet. I wonder will it do a lightbox type offering like aperture ?

David

Pocketpc Portal : www.toppocket.net