Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Print Business Card with Photo Printer??

Print Business Card with Photo Printer??

Greg

I am trying to find a printer that *might* print single business cards.
Usually, printing a single, small business card in a regular inkjets
that handles normal-sized envelopes to letter and legal paper sizes
doesn't work. I'm also aware of, but not considering, the Avery-type
letter-size paper that contina several perforated business cards on one
sheet.

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to print a single business
card in a photo printer. Or, after reading this post, might try it and
let me know how it works out. I don't have a photo printer and because
I just thought of the possibility of using such a printer tonight for
the first time, I haven't gone out to buy one to try it myself. I'm
hoping someone might have some thoughts or suggestions on 1) whether a
single business card might be able to be printed in a photo printer or
2) another type of printer or option I could look into.

Another reason that I'm looking into this is because I would like to be
able to print on the small envelopes you use when you send flowers and
you can put a mini-card inside one of those little, tiny envelopes.
Again, being so small, these envelopes (~2.5" x ~3.25") rarely feed
through a normal inkjet very well.

Thanks for reading through this post and I appreciate any comments or
suggestions anyone might offer to help me figure this one out!

Greg

EDM

Most "business card stock" sold in office supply stores is crap.
It's not as thick as the stock professional print shops use, and
the perforated edges make the cards look terrible. Nothing
screams "loser" louder than handing someone a home printed
business card.

On top of that, many home inkjet printers are specifically
designed to NOT handle real card stock. Planned limitation.

If you're seriously considering spending several hundred dollars
to buy a printer for business cards, instead of paying a print shop
$50 for a set of real ones, you might want to rethink your logic.

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am trying to find a printer that *might* print single business cards.
> Usually, printing a single, small business card in a regular inkjets
> that handles normal-sized envelopes to letter and legal paper sizes
> doesn't work. I'm also aware of, but not considering, the Avery-type
> letter-size paper that contina several perforated business cards on one
> sheet.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to print a single business
> card in a photo printer. Or, after reading this post, might try it and
> let me know how it works out. I don't have a photo printer and because
> I just thought of the possibility of using such a printer tonight for
> the first time, I haven't gone out to buy one to try it myself. I'm
> hoping someone might have some thoughts or suggestions on 1) whether a
> single business card might be able to be printed in a photo printer or
> 2) another type of printer or option I could look into.
>
> Another reason that I'm looking into this is because I would like to be
> able to print on the small envelopes you use when you send flowers and
> you can put a mini-card inside one of those little, tiny envelopes.
> Again, being so small, these envelopes (~2.5" x ~3.25") rarely feed
> through a normal inkjet very well.
>
> Thanks for reading through this post and I appreciate any comments or
> suggestions anyone might offer to help me figure this one out!
>
> Greg

Greg

EDM,

You're absolutely right about the 'planning' in business card setups.
It stinks.

Here is a clip from my original posting that better explains why I'm
looking for something like this. While the single business cards is
one reason, here is the other reason that is just as important to me.
I went to several printing shops around town and they all told me that
these little envelopes are too small for them to print on.

> > Another reason that I'm looking into this is because I would like to be
> > able to print on the small envelopes you use when you send flowers and
> > you can put a mini-card inside one of those little, tiny envelopes.
> > Again, being so small, these envelopes (~2.5" x ~3.25") rarely feed
> > through a normal inkjet very well.

Thanks for the response.

Greg

J. Clarke

Greg wrote:

> I am trying to find a printer that *might* print single business cards.
> Usually, printing a single, small business card in a regular inkjets
> that handles normal-sized envelopes to letter and legal paper sizes
> doesn't work. I'm also aware of, but not considering, the Avery-type
> letter-size paper that contina several perforated business cards on one
> sheet.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to print a single business
> card in a photo printer. Or, after reading this post, might try it and
> let me know how it works out. I don't have a photo printer and because
> I just thought of the possibility of using such a printer tonight for
> the first time, I haven't gone out to buy one to try it myself. I'm
> hoping someone might have some thoughts or suggestions on 1) whether a
> single business card might be able to be printed in a photo printer or
> 2) another type of printer or option I could look into.

When you say "photo printer" do you mean a photo inkjet? If so it's not
going to print a single card any better than any other inkjet. If you mean
one of the smaller format purpose-made photo printers you'll find that they
work _only_ with the paper provided by the manufacturer.

> Another reason that I'm looking into this is because I would like to be
> able to print on the small envelopes you use when you send flowers and
> you can put a mini-card inside one of those little, tiny envelopes.
> Again, being so small, these envelopes (~2.5" x ~3.25") rarely feed
> through a normal inkjet very well.
>
> Thanks for reading through this post and I appreciate any comments or
> suggestions anyone might offer to help me figure this one out!

You can print small sizes in a standard inkjet by making up a carrier
sheet--take a standard piece of paper, fold it over about 1/8 inch on one
edge, wrap that over your card, and you're done. You can get such sheets
with post-it stickum or something similar on the fold from Intuit (same
folks that make Quicken--they sell it to allow you to print single checks)
for not too terribly much money--the stickum is enough of a convenience to
be worthwhile IMO.

There are also purpose-made card printers but they aren't cheap and I don't
know what their capabilities might be--if you froogle "card
printer" (include the quotes) you'll get several hits--once you've got the
brands and models you should be able to research them further.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

David Harmon

On 18 Jul 2006 21:51:05 -0700 in rec.photo.digital, "Greg"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>I am trying to find a printer that *might* print single business cards.

I was wondering if one of those printers designed to print 4"x6"
photos would work out well for that, cutting into three 2x3.5 cards?