Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pics will open in camera...but not on computer

Pics will open in camera...but not on computer

Ratedr

I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
could be the problem
I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
I cannot test that at the moment

Thank you for anyone's help in advance
Scott

Ratedr

to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers

Ratedr wrote:
> I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
> past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
> the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
> the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
> them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
> night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
> open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
> viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
> could be the problem
> I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
> info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
> I cannot test that at the moment
>
> Thank you for anyone's help in advance
> Scott

Paul Heslop

Ratedr wrote:

> to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
> over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
> say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers
>
> Ratedr wrote:
> > I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
> > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
> > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
> > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
> > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
> > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
> > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
> > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
> > could be the problem
> > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
> > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
> > I cannot test that at the moment
> >
> > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
> > Scott

Are you actually downloading them to the computer or trying to read
them off the card reader or camera? If you download them to your
computer then they should open. I am not sure about settings etc but
if they're saved as jpeg then they should be readable. I just fired up
my Olympus, took a shot, hooked it up to the computer, opened
paintshop, looked under 'open' for the removable drive, which is what
it classes my camera as and found the file, clicked it and opened it,
all in the last few minutes.

--
Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
Stop and Look

Ratedr

Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
and pasted them to my comp...same thing

Ratedr wrote:
> to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
> over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
> say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers

It sounds like the files from yesterday have been corrupted so that the
header information is no longer complete, but the thumbnails used by
the camera are OK and the main high quality image is rendered
inaccessible.

These faults are usually caused by bad handling of the media.
Unplugging it with power on and/or a write cycle in progress. The only
way to be sure is to examine a couple of consecutive bad images. If you
drop me a line privately I would be happy to check them.

It is usually easy to determine what the damage is, but a lot harder to
repair it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
(my curious email address is valid exactly as it stands)

> Ratedr wrote:
> > I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
> > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
> > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
> > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
> > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
> > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
> > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
> > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
> > could be the problem
> > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
> > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
> > I cannot test that at the moment
> >
> > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
> > Scott

Paul Heslop

Ratedr wrote:

> Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
> something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
> and pasted them to my comp...same thing

If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
something like
12345.jpeg
then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
be classed as a jpg.

I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error meaning
corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you have
another card you can try?

If you post

unknown or invalid jpeg marker type

into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
reasons?:O(

--
Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Ratedr

It is very strange. I went away this
weekend and all of the photos that I took up until yesterday were fine,
then last night we had a 4 hr dinner, and EVERY photo...from the first
one of the night at 6pm to the last one at 10pm wont open and wont even
display the thumbnail in windows (it will view no problem in the
camera...AND when I check on the details of the files in windows...they
are all the same size appx as the working ones 1.5mb). I didnt take
the card out until this morning (8 hrs after I took the last photo) and
it was with the camera powered down. I dont know what else could have
happened as I know I handled it properly, and its ONLY the pics from
yesterday...! I still have pics on there from December that are in
tact!

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Ratedr wrote:
> >
> > Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
> > something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
> > and pasted them to my comp...same thing
> >

> If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
> something like
> 12345.jpeg
> then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
> for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
> be classed as a jpg.
>
> I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error meaning
> corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you have
> another card you can try?
>
> If you post
>
> unknown or invalid jpeg marker type
>
> into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
> reasons?:O(
>
> --
> Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Dennis Pogson

Ratedr wrote:
> It is very strange. I went away this
> weekend and all of the photos that I took up until yesterday were
> fine, then last night we had a 4 hr dinner, and EVERY photo...from
> the first one of the night at 6pm to the last one at 10pm wont open
> and wont even display the thumbnail in windows (it will view no
> problem in the camera...AND when I check on the details of the files
> in windows...they are all the same size appx as the working ones
> 1.5mb). I didnt take the card out until this morning (8 hrs after I
> took the last photo) and it was with the camera powered down. I dont
> know what else could have happened as I know I handled it properly,
> and its ONLY the pics from yesterday...! I still have pics on there
> from December that are in tact!
>
> Paul Heslop wrote:
>> Ratedr wrote:
>>>
>>> Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error
>>> saying something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when
>>> I copied and pasted them to my comp...same thing
>>>

>> If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
>> something like
>> 12345.jpeg
>> then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
>> for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
>> be classed as a jpg.
>>
>> I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error
>> meaning corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you
>> have another card you can try?
>>
>> If you post
>>
>> unknown or invalid jpeg marker type
>>
>> into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
>> reasons?:O(
>>
>> --
>> Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
>> Stop and Look
>> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Do you mean that Windows Explorer does not actually show the reader or the
camera as an extra drive that can be opened and viewed in Paintshop or
Photoshop? Can you "acquire" the drive by using either of the 2 graphics
programs to access the card directly?

Ratedr

here is something that could further explain the problem. I am running
a program "Photorescue 2.1" and when it gets to say...99% of recovery
method 4, , it says the request could not be performed because of an
I/O...." then i cant see the rest..

Ratedr wrote:
> It is very strange. I went away this
> weekend and all of the photos that I took up until yesterday were fine,
> then last night we had a 4 hr dinner, and EVERY photo...from the first
> one of the night at 6pm to the last one at 10pm wont open and wont even
> display the thumbnail in windows (it will view no problem in the
> camera...AND when I check on the details of the files in windows...they
> are all the same size appx as the working ones 1.5mb). I didnt take
> the card out until this morning (8 hrs after I took the last photo) and
> it was with the camera powered down. I dont know what else could have
> happened as I know I handled it properly, and its ONLY the pics from
> yesterday...! I still have pics on there from December that are in
> tact!
>
> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Ratedr wrote:
> > >
> > > Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
> > > something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
> > > and pasted them to my comp...same thing
> > >

> > If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
> > something like
> > 12345.jpeg
> > then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
> > for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
> > be classed as a jpg.
> >
> > I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error meaning
> > corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you have
> > another card you can try?
> >
> > If you post
> >
> > unknown or invalid jpeg marker type
> >
> > into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
> > reasons?:O(
> >
> > --
> > Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Ratedr

Dennis, Im not sure what you are talking about. I can see F:\
Removable drive, and I can open that and all of the thumbnails before
yesterday come up and I can see the pics,,,,but yesterdays just the
name comes up, and the jpeg logo (blue with some triangle, circle
something). What do you mean acquire them with graphics programs?
/