Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolspx S1

Nikon Coolspx S1

Bubba

Several months ago, the sensor went out on my little Nikon Coolpix S1. When
I took it to my local camera repair guy, he said that this was a widespread
problem with 5 megapixel sensors made by Sony (used in a number of other
brands including Nikon). He encouraged me to send the thing in to Nikon for
repair.

Buried down very deep in their website I found a Service Advisory Product
Return Form for Coolpix - - but not my model. I sent it in with the form
anyway.

Now I have received a letter from Nikon saying the cost for repair is about
$160, and the cost to return the thing to me unrepaired is $13.

I think I'm just going to let them keep it. It is no good to me unrepaired
and, given the age and model (and a few serious shortcomings of this model),
it is not really worth $160.

Has anyone else had a problem with this model or with Nikon on service
issues? How did you handle them?

Dennis Pogson

Bubba wrote:
> Several months ago, the sensor went out on my little Nikon Coolpix
> S1. When I took it to my local camera repair guy, he said that this
> was a widespread problem with 5 megapixel sensors made by Sony (used
> in a number of other brands including Nikon). He encouraged me to
> send the thing in to Nikon for repair.
>

> Buried down very deep in their website I found a Service Advisory
> Product Return Form for Coolpix - - but not my model. I sent it in
> with the form anyway.
>

> Now I have received a letter from Nikon saying the cost for repair is
> about $160, and the cost to return the thing to me unrepaired is $13.
>

> I think I'm just going to let them keep it. It is no good to me
> unrepaired and, given the age and model (and a few serious
> shortcomings of this model), it is not really worth $160.
>

> Has anyone else had a problem with this model or with Nikon on service
> issues? How did you handle them?

This is just about the most common complaint with modern electronics, the
cost of repair exceeds the cost of relacement new. Your dealer should have
warned you about this dilemna, get rid of him!

thetucko

Hi Dennis, i have the same problem, I don't know what to do. Display is
working but when I take a picture all I get is black screen...