Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-H5 or Fuji S9000?

Sony DSC-H5 or Fuji S9000?

BRH

Having used a Nikon Coolpix 950 for the past 5 years or so, I'm ready to
step up to a more modern digital camera.

I had previously posted a question about D-SLR's because I was
interested in a camera with high zoom capabilities, and thought that
adding lenses, etc would be a good feature.

However, after doing a bit of research, I see that there are a number of
"near-SLR" digital cameras with good zoom capabilities that would be a
bit simpler to operate and would probably better meet my needs (mostly
travel and nature photography with a little sports photography thrown in).

So now, I'm trying to decide between the following cameras -- Sony
DSC-H5 and Fuji S9000. Both get generally good reviews from both
customers and website reviews. I like the manual zooming (twist the
lens barrel) on the Fuji, as well as the fact I could re-use my existing
CF cards with it. But I also REALLY like the very large LCD on the Sony
and the option to add a number of lens extensions, etc. The range of
the Fuji lens is slightly more versatile on the wide-angle end of the
range, while the Sony can zoom in more closely on the subject. I'm not
sure whether the lack of true image-stabilization on the Fuji is that
big a drawback or not.

If you're still reading this, I'd appreciate feedback on the relative
merits of these two cameras (and I'm still open to any other similar
models that someone might recommend).

I'd say that I'm an intermediate-level amateur photographer with an
interest in learning how to use the advanced features of these cameras.

Thanks!

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

BRH wrote:
> ... after doing a bit of research, I see that there are a number of
> "near-SLR" digital cameras with good zoom capabilities that would be a
> bit simpler to operate and would probably better meet my needs (mostly
> travel and nature photography with a little sports photography thrown in).

While I do a bit of high end stuff with DSLR's and mf, I'm like you and
just carry a prosumer when i 'go places'.. The only things I really
miss are fast AF, and the ability to use high ISO's without suffering
noise.

> So now, I'm trying to decide between the following cameras -- Sony
> DSC-H5 and Fuji S9000. Both get generally good reviews from both
> customers and website reviews. I like the manual zooming (twist the
> lens barrel) on the Fuji, as well as the fact I could re-use my existing
> CF cards with it.

Seem to be good choices, although I would probably throw in the
Panasonic FZ30 as a contender if the slightly lower resolution/
slightly higher noise are not issues. It has the best lens in class, I
think..

> But I also REALLY like the very large LCD on the Sony
> and the option to add a number of lens extensions, etc.

Yes, big LCD's are nice.. You *can* also add-on lenses (carefully) to
the Fuji - it has a 58mm filter thread. Note that add-ons for these
sort of lenses are often big and heavy, so they may need support.
Thankfully the Fuji has a mechanical zoom, so at least you won't be

> The range of the Fuji lens is slightly more versatile on the wide-angle end

To me, that is a very good thing - wide angle converters are a pain in
the neck, and almost always introduce nasty quality issues. About the
only decent one I've found is the Olympus 0.7x - it's big, heavy and
has very good, if not great, optical quality.

> I'm not
> sure whether the lack of true image-stabilization on the Fuji is that
> big a drawback or not.

If you are going to shoot a lot of stuff at the tele end, and don't
want to lug a tripod, then yes, it is a big drawback.

> If you're still reading this, I'd appreciate feedback on the relative
> merits of these two cameras (and I'm still open to any other similar
> models that someone might recommend).

If it's any help, I currently own an Olympus C8080 for this side of my
photography. But every now and then I hanker for just a tiny bit more
lens range, and bit extra resolution and enlargability.. My very close
examination of samples from the Fuji indicate it has a small but
significant edge over my Oly's 8Mp images, and the nature of the Fuji
images is such that they sharpen exceptionally well, with minimal
haloing - they are very 'DSLR' like. See:
http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_s9000_crops3.html
(comparison of 20D (!) to S9000 - try sharpening the Fuji side and try
to spot the difference..)

>From imaging-resource.. "..the S9000's default sharpening only extends

about a pixel from the edge on the light side of the tone curve, a good
level, not producing excessive artifacts in the images. (This is why
the S9000's images take unsharp masking on the computer as well as they
do.) While not shown here, the S9000's low sharpening setting pretty
completely removes all sharpening artifacts, making images shot in that
mode particularly well suited for post-capture sharpening on the
computer. Very nice..."
The imaging-resource Imatest results are also very interesting,
indicating that the Fuji does manage to outperform 8Mp DSLR's in terms
of resolution. Yes, I know that isn't all the story, but given the
Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
(although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
no raw, strangely..

And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.

Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
at all.

Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
direction, but everyone is different. (O:

SJ

BRH, exact dilemma I'm in. I could get any D slr, but don't like the bulk,
changing lenses, etc. Right now I have an Olympus 5050, and 5mp is not the
problem, the lack of quality zoom is. Let me know if you hear any more on
the Fuji or other "near slr" cameras or if you know of any other forums I
could get feedback, thanks
Scott

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
BRH wrote:
> [...]

Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
(although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
no raw, strangely..

And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.

Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
at all.

Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
direction, but everyone is different. (O:

SJ -- I just returned from my local Circuit City to see some of these
cameras for myself. Here's what I found --

Sony DSC-H5 just wasn't comfortable in my hands. It was a bit small and
I especially didn't like the rocker controls (nor the location of them)
for the zoom. The LCD was real nice, but if the controls aren't
comfortable, that's the end of the story.

Panasonic (can't recall whether it was the FZ7 or FZ30 that I looked at
----sorry). Lots of nice features, comfortable in my hands, but the LCD
resolution was quite poor. It also uses a proprietary battery (I prefer
AA's), but that's something that I could live with. I may go to another
CC store to take another look at this one -- perhaps the LCD on the
floor model at the first store was defective.....

Fuji -- CC didn't carry these.

In terms of other forums, I always looks at epinions.com before making
major purchases. Nothing but customer reviews, which I find to be very
helpful. Circuit City's webpage also has customer reviews of products
they carry. So does Amazon.com.

SJ wrote:
> [...]

> Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
> range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
> raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
> (although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
> no raw, strangely..
>
> And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
> Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
> my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
> currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
> camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.
>
> Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
> at all.
>
> Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
> direction, but everyone is different. (O:

FYI -- I went back to CC to play around with the FZ7 a bit more. It
turned out that the exposure setting was at +2.0, and the screen
brightness setting (a separate control) was also turned way up. No
wonder the LCD screen looked so washed out. After adjusting the
settings it looked fine.

BRH wrote:

> [...]

>> Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
>> range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
>> raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
>> (although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
>> no raw, strangely..
>>
>> And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
>> Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
>> my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
>> currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
>> camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.
>>
>> Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
>> at all.
>>
>> Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
>> direction, but everyone is different. (O:

Thanks for the info BRH, I hear the Panasonic FZ30 is nice too. Did you
happen to see that?

BRH wrote:

> [...]

>> Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
>> range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
>> raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
>> (although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
>> no raw, strangely..
>>
>> And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
>> Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
>> my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
>> currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
>> camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.
>>
>> Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
>> at all.
>>
>> Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
>> direction, but everyone is different. (O:

No -- Unfortunately CC Stores don't carry it (although they do offer it
on their website).

SJ wrote:

> [...]
>>>Fuji chip gives very good low-noise performance, and that it's dynamic
>>>range is also at the top of the heap... One problem with the Fuji -
>>>raw shooting is slow, and the supplied raw software support is poor
>>>(although there are good, and free, third party solutions). Sony has
>>>no raw, strangely..
>>>
>>>And I also like the idea of having 300mm instead of my Oly's 140mm.
>>>Being from the old school, I always lug a big tripod, or at least have
>>>my trusty beanbag.. so IS isn't a deal breaker for me. So I'm
>>>currently thinking about moving to the Fuji. The olympus is a fine
>>>camera, but I really like the look and colour of the Fuji images.
>>>
>>>Note that the Fuji has only a simple hotshoe, but the H5 has no hotshoe
>>>at all.
>>>
>>>Hope that helps in a small way.. As you can see, I'm leaning in a Fuji
>>>direction, but everyone is different. (O:

m Ransley

The Fuji doesnt have image stabilisation, with a long zoom you need it.
Check out reviews dpreview puts the H2-H5 at the top. You should also
consider Canon S3is, but the H5 is sharper, less noise, 7 mp, and a
better Lcd. The fuji realy cant compare without IS

BRH

m Ransley wrote:
> The Fuji doesnt have image stabilisation, with a long zoom you need it.
> Check out reviews dpreview puts the H2-H5 at the top. You should also
> consider Canon S3is, but the H5 is sharper, less noise, 7 mp, and a
> better Lcd. The fuji realy cant compare without IS

I really liked the H5, except for the location/accessibility of the zoom
controls. I've got a bad thumb and have trouble accessing the zoom
controls when aiming that camera. I also want an LCD that's at least
2.5", so the Canon is out. I agree with you that IS is mandatory with
these high zoom levels, so the Fujis are out.

So, it looks like the Panasonic FZ7 is the best compromise for my situation.

I'm presently searching the web for the best deal. I'm leaning towards
Amazon - $310 after $30 discount for signing up for an Amazon CC, and
free shipping too.

If anyone knows of a better price from a reputable vendor, I'm interested.

perry lee

I have just ordered the S9000 from Dell, and it will be here either
tomorrow or Thursday -- I hope!

I did a side by side between the Fuji and the SONY DSC-R1, and finally
settled on the Fuji. One of the selling points for me is the Fuji has a
cable release socket, and I like to take deep slow shots from a tripod
at 40 ASA.

Deciding where to buy the camera was easy. Dell has the MSRP at US$699,
with a US$139 discount. There is also a US$100 mail in rebate on their
website, with free S & H, so they are selling the camera for US$460,
after rebate.

I'm not a great photographer, and a lot of the finer points still elude
me, but I will be glad to post my first observations after I have had
the camera for a couple of days.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BRH <BRH>
says...