Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-H5 or Fuji S9000?

Sony DSC-H5 or Fuji S9000?

SJ

Perry, I was "ready to go" with the Fuji, when all I read was "no image
stabilization", over and over in different columns. I will need to shoot at
full or near full zoom and from what I'm reading, (of course, remember,
there're only opinions), is that you really need the image stabilizer with
this length of zoom. Please let me know how it works. I like the Sony's,
but hate the fact you have to buy their memory stick only,( unless I'm wrong
on that point). I'm really looking into the panasonic FZ30 or the Canon S3.
I'm really doing the research.
good luck. Please keep me posted on the Fuji, it was my initial first
choice.
Scott

"perry lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
I have just ordered the S9000 from Dell, and it will be here either
tomorrow or Thursday -- I hope!

I did a side by side between the Fuji and the SONY DSC-R1, and finally
settled on the Fuji. One of the selling points for me is the Fuji has a
cable release socket, and I like to take deep slow shots from a tripod
at 40 ASA.

Deciding where to buy the camera was easy. Dell has the MSRP at US$699,
with a US$139 discount. There is also a US$100 mail in rebate on their
website, with free S & H, so they are selling the camera for US$460,
after rebate.

I'm not a great photographer, and a lot of the finer points still elude
me, but I will be glad to post my first observations after I have had
the camera for a couple of days.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BRH <BRH>
says...
> m Ransley wrote:
> > The Fuji doesnt have image stabilisation, with a long zoom you need it.
> > Check out reviews dpreview puts the H2-H5 at the top. You should also
> > consider Canon S3is, but the H5 is sharper, less noise, 7 mp, and a
> > better Lcd. The fuji realy cant compare without IS
> >

> I really liked the H5, except for the location/accessibility of the zoom
> controls. I've got a bad thumb and have trouble accessing the zoom
> controls when aiming that camera. I also want an LCD that's at least
> 2.5", so the Canon is out. I agree with you that IS is mandatory with
> these high zoom levels, so the Fujis are out.
>
> So, it looks like the Panasonic FZ7 is the best compromise for my

situation.

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

SJ wrote:
> Perry, I was "ready to go" with the Fuji, when all I read was "no image
> stabilization", over and over in different columns. I will need to shoot at
> full or near full zoom..

If that's true, and your priority is long shooting without lugging a
big tripod, then the Fuji would be a bad choice, imo. Go with the H5
or FZ30, or think hard about a DSLR.. or if you are not in a hurry,
maybe the 10Mp FZ50 might be of interest:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06...asonicfz50.asp

...but I would be waiting for the reviews, first..

m Ransley

The only reason I did not buy Fuji was no I.S. the H5 was my choise, no
reviews put the fuji long zoom in the same league as Canon, Sony,
Panasonic or Kodak only because of the lack of I.S. Before you decide
its a keeper go to any store selling long zooms , try one and turn the
I.S. off, then on. The difference is so dramatic , you can actualy use
them without a tripod , increasing your value in all situations, you do
gain 2-4 stops. Dell will exchange it. Now if Panasonic only used fujis
sensor and Fuji used Panasonics I.S. they would have winners. Canon uses
Sony sensors, Sony just keeps the 1mp better for themselves first.

perry lee

Dell was good to their word: the camera was here on Wednesday.

First of all I am astounded by the lightness, but then I am comparing to
a 35 mm Mamiya, and I need to remember that there is no film transport,
mirror, shutter mechanism etc. I am in awe of the super macro, that
lets me put the camera right next to a flower and get images in perfect
focus, then print them out in full letter with no loss. I have also
done some shots using shutter priority and I have also tried aperture
priority.

The controls are very straightforward, and all of the shooting settings
are only a click or two away. There is a command dial next to the mode
dial that controls whatever setting you have chosen on the mode dial.
Choose Aperture, and the command dial changes the f setting. Choose
shutter speed, and the command dial clicks through all of the shutter
speeds.

The zoom lens is a 10.7 zoom, and it is very smooth, and marked on the
barrel! The focus ring is right behind the zoom, and it too is very
smooth.

So far, the lack of image stabilisation has not been a problem, but as I
said before, I am very careful in my shot composition, preferring to set
up a tripod with a cable release. We have company coming in this
weekend, and I will be able to do more "shooting from the hip," but so
far, I LOVE it! A real steal at $460.00

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,