Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Easyshare Software V6.01 download

Kodak Easyshare Software V6.01 download

Ron Hunter

AlanCB wrote:
> Roy & Jeremy, thanks for your replies/info.
>
> Do I have to uninstall Easyshare V4.02 before attempting to download &
> install Easyshare V6.01 ? Or is that taken care of during the download
> installation process ?
>
> AlanCB

No. Each version is complete.

tnom@mucks.net

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:50:18 GMT, "jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the
>>>install,
>>>it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to
>>>save
>>>it to your hard disk for a later installation.

>> It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.

>It does not give the option of saving it to the hard drive--it installs
>directly from the web and it configures itself to the user's computer during
>the download/installation process.

Yes it does. It will ask you where you want to download the
series of files used in the installation. It will then install
automatically if not interrupted. Just determine when the
download ends and make a copy of the downloaded files.
Then halt the process. You can then install at your leisure.

AlanCB

Ron

Where exactly on the Kodak site are the answers to these questions ?

Was advised by Kodak Customer Support that the CD for Easyshare V6.x is
not available yet, and won't be for a couple months.

---------------

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Answers to these questions are on the Kodak site. I suggest that dialup
> users contack Kodak for a CD which will probably get to you before you
> could complete downloading files of this size.

AlanCB

Tnom, thanks for your your reply/info.

There seems to be a difference of opinion here, as to whether you can
specify where the downloaded Easyshare software files ("series of
files used in the installation") are to be saved on your hard drive.

Tnom you say, quote "Just determine when the download ends and make a
copy of the downloaded files. Then halt the process".

I would not feel comfortable stopping the installation process once it
has begun.

Wouldn't it be better when the download ends, to stop the process
before the automatically installation begins, and then make a copy of
the downloaded files ?

Or is too difficult to time the interruption to exactly between
completion of the download and start of installation ?

Or does stopping the (installation) process cause the downloaded files
to be deleted ?

What is the procedure for "installing at your leisure" from the
downloaded files that you have copied ?

------------

AlanCB wrote:
> Ron
>
> Where exactly on the Kodak site are the answers to these questions ?
>
> Was advised by Kodak Customer Support that the CD for Easyshare V6.x is
> not available yet, and won't be for a couple months.
>
> ---------------
>
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Answers to these questions are on the Kodak site. I suggest that dialup
>> users contack Kodak for a CD which will probably get to you before you
>> could complete downloading files of this size.

Well, if you are all that hot for the update, just start it downloading,
and take a week's vacation. Might be done when you get back, assuming
your ISP doesn't have connect time limits. The files are LARGE, and one
reason the download process is set up as it is is because it enables
downloading ONLY the files needed for your computer. I have not
downloaded versions of Easyshare because I find it really annoying slow,
and cumbersome to use, compared with other software I have available,
but if you like it, and want to go to the trouble, and time, to get it,
just start the download up, and try to be patient.

tnom@mucks.net

On 13 Jul 2006 21:28:17 -0700, "AlanCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tnom, thanks for your your reply/info.
>
>There seems to be a difference of opinion here, as to whether you can
>specify where the downloaded Easyshare software files ("series of
>files used in the installation") are to be saved on your hard drive.

It will ask you where to download the files before the download
starts.

>Tnom you say, quote "Just determine when the download ends and make a
>copy of the downloaded files. Then halt the process".
>
>I would not feel comfortable stopping the installation process once it
>has begun.
>
>Wouldn't it be better when the download ends, to stop the process
>before the automatically installation begins, and then make a copy of
>the downloaded files ?

If the program would not automatically install then it would be best
to copy at that time but it continues without an option to stop it.
When it completes it tells you to restart your computer.

>Or is too difficult to time the interruption to exactly between
>completion of the download and start of installation ?
>
>Or does stopping the (installation) process cause the downloaded files
>to be deleted ?
>
>What is the procedure for "installing at your leisure" from the
>downloaded files that you have copied ?

Downloading takes much more time than installing so you may as well
continue the full process if you really want the program.

The safest way is to complete the install. Do not restart.Copy the
install files from your selected folder then uninstall the two
programs that were just installed with the add/remove function.

* uninstall removes the install files. That is why you must make a
copy of them before you uninstall.

You now have the install files that can be distributed through file
sharing networks.

AlanCB

Tnom

Are the install files deleted on uninstalling, or during the restart ?

I would not want to uninstall. Therefore based on what you suggest
below, I would download and complete the initial install, but before
restarting the computer, I would copy the install files from my
selected folder (just in case they are deleted on restart), and then
restart the computer to complete the install.

Would that be OK ?

How many install files are there, and what are the sizes ?

-----------------------
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2006 21:28:17 -0700, "AlanCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> The safest way is to complete the install. Do not restart.Copy the
> install files from your selected folder then uninstall the two
> programs that were just installed with the add/remove function.
>
> * uninstall removes the install files. That is why you must make a
> copy of them before you uninstall.
>
> You now have the install files that can be distributed through file
> sharing networks.

AlanCB

Ron

According to the Kodak website, the Easyshare V6.01 software (~45MB)
and the KODAK EASYSHARE Software V6.0 / Photo Greeting Cards Template
V1.0 (~32MB), would take approx. 142 minutes and 101 minutes,
respectively, on a 56K dialup connection, hardly long enough for a
vacation.

My fear is interruptions during the download or install, which would
put me back to square one, and if during the install, might possibly
cause other problems.

Therefore I would prefer to use the CD (unavailable), but failing that,
it would be preferable to be able to download and save the software to
my hard drive, and then install afterwards.

Furthermore, I have 2 computers to update.

I want to give Easyshare V6.0 a try, to see how much better it is than
V4.02

---------

On 14 Jul 2006 04:53:29 -0700, "AlanCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tnom
>
>Are the install files deleted on uninstalling, or during the restart ?

>I would not want to uninstall. Therefore based on what you suggest
>below, I would download and complete the initial install, but before
>restarting the computer, I would copy the install files from my
>selected folder (just in case they are deleted on restart), and then
>restart the computer to complete the install.
>
>Would that be OK ?
>
>How many install files are there, and what are the sizes ?

CORRECTION:

After actually going through the process the files you need for later
installation are located here on my computer. Yours should be similar.
C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Kodak\easyshare
setup\

Make a copy of them before you restart. Click on setup.exe in the
setup folder in order to install a later time.

If you want the program then continue as instructed with the install.
If you do not then do not register and do not restart. Just uninstall
the two new entries in the add/remove section. (Bonjour and Kodak
easyshare)

no_name

jeremy wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the
>>>install,
>>>it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to
>>>save
>>>it to your hard disk for a later installation.

>>It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.

> It does not give the option of saving it to the hard drive--it installs
> directly from the web and it configures itself to the user's computer during
> the download/installation process.

And eats, and eats, and eats, ... and eats hard-disk space. Every time
you open one of your images to share it, it makes another copy on the
hard-disk.