Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?

What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?

The Atom

What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?

Pete D

Way to small!

"The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44b40c48$0$7166$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?
>

> .................................................. ..............

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

David H. Lipman

From: "The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?

Nix them. Go for Flash RAM based memory cards instead. The mini HDs are too sensitive to
G'force, shock, and vibration and thus could lead to data loss. Memory Cards, while having
lower capacity, are magnitudes greater in their reliability factor.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Scott W

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?
> |

> Nix them. Go for Flash RAM based memory cards instead. The mini HDs are too sensitive to
> G'force, shock, and vibration and thus could lead to data loss. Memory Cards, while having
> lower capacity, are magnitudes greater in their reliability factor.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I don't believe these are drives meant to go in a compact flash slot
but rather a USB mini drive.

Thay are really small in terms of how much they can hold, I would go
instead with the WD 120 GB portable drive, very small and Costco has
them pretty cheap.
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=199

I have the older 80GB version and it works very well, powers off of the
USB port.

Scott

AZ Nomad

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:55:02 GMT, David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>| What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?
>|

>Nix them. Go for Flash RAM based memory cards instead. The mini HDs are too sensitive to
>G'force, shock, and vibration and thus could lead to data loss. Memory Cards, while having
>lower capacity, are magnitudes greater in their reliability factor.

It depends on your application. Have you priced an 8G flash card lately?

The HDs are cheaper, higher capacity, and less reliable. They're probably
faster for writing. I personally wouldn't get one, but a professional
photographer's needs might need the capacity over reliability.

David H. Lipman

From: "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I don't believe these are drives meant to go in a compact flash slot
| but rather a USB mini drive.
|
| Thay are really small in terms of how much they can hold, I would go
| instead with the WD 120 GB portable drive, very small and Costco has
| them pretty cheap.
| http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=199
|
| I have the older 80GB version and it works very well, powers off of the
| USB port.
|
| Scott

OK. I missed that. If these are standard ATA/EIDE 2.5" hard disks in an external USB v2.0
based chassis then its would be good. Except how is it to be implemented.

When I heard 4GB and 8GB, these are sizes of devices for Compact Flash or other memory
solution that goes in the camera. 2.5" drives in external chassis offer >40GB ~ 120GB.

If it is a hard disk that fits into the camera body and is used to directly store graphic
files then I would say its use is contraindicated. I would suggest a high capacity, solid
state, Flash RAM memory card be used.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

JohnR66

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:55:02 GMT, David H. Lipman
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>From: "The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>| What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?
>>|

>>Nix them. Go for Flash RAM based memory cards instead. The mini HDs are
>>too sensitive to
>>G'force, shock, and vibration and thus could lead to data loss. Memory
>>Cards, while having
>>lower capacity, are magnitudes greater in their reliability factor.

> It depends on your application. Have you priced an 8G flash card lately?
>
> The HDs are cheaper, higher capacity, and less reliable. They're probably
> faster for writing. I personally wouldn't get one, but a professional
> photographer's needs might need the capacity over reliability.

Are you kidding? If I were a pro, I'd want reliability. I'd want to reduce
the chances that equipment failure could wipe out a shoot.
John

JohnR66

"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "The Atom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>

>> | What do you think of the 4GB and 8GB GigaBank Mini HDs?
>> |

>> Nix them. Go for Flash RAM based memory cards instead. The mini HDs are
>> too sensitive to
>> G'force, shock, and vibration and thus could lead to data loss. Memory
>> Cards, while having
>> lower capacity, are magnitudes greater in their reliability factor.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> I don't believe these are drives meant to go in a compact flash slot
> but rather a USB mini drive.
>
> Thay are really small in terms of how much they can hold, I would go
> instead with the WD 120 GB portable drive, very small and Costco has
> them pretty cheap.
> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=199
>
> I have the older 80GB version and it works very well, powers off of the
> USB port.
>
> Scott

I have the 120GB version. Great stuff. One thing is it won't run without AC
adaptor on some computers that have limited USB power (older standards).

David H. Lipman

From: "JohnR66" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Are you kidding? If I were a pro, I'd want reliability. I'd want to reduce
| the chances that equipment failure could wipe out a shoot.
| John

The last thing you want is to loose data.
You can't make up for lost "art".

--

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:50:21 GMT, David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "JohnR66" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>| Are you kidding? If I were a pro, I'd want reliability. I'd want to reduce
>| the chances that equipment failure could wipe out a shoot.
>| John
>|

>The last thing you want is to loose data.
>You can't make up for lost "art".

You'd loose data if your media was full and you tried to take a picture.