Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New photos at my web page

New photos at my web page

Derek Fountain

> How *do* you find your way around the web with Javascript disabled?

Around 10% of web users don't have Javascript. Websites that rely on it
loose 1 in 10 of their visitors immediately. I find it somewhat silly
that people who want to show off their photos rely on Javascript to do
so. It's completely unnecessary and just demonstrates that their photos
aren't of good enough quality to be shown without presentation aids.

To answer your question, I run the NoScript extention to Firefox, which
allows me to selectively turn on Javascript for sites that a) need it,
and b) I trust.

Unfortunately I work in the field of IT security and I'm very much aware
of what someone with bad intentions can do with Javascript. If the 90%
of surfers who have Javascript turned on knew what ITSec pros know about
it's potential for harm, they'd turn it off immediately.

Still, it keeps the phishers, pharmers, adware writers, spyware writers,
virus writers, identity thieves, credit card information thieves, etc.,
all very happy.

DD

In article <44b3963b$0$17998$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
> > How *do* you find your way around the web with Javascript disabled?

> Around 10% of web users don't have Javascript. Websites that rely on it
> loose 1 in 10 of their visitors immediately. I find it somewhat silly
> that people who want to show off their photos rely on Javascript to do
> so. It's completely unnecessary and just demonstrates that their photos
> aren't of good enough quality to be shown without presentation aids.
>
> To answer your question, I run the NoScript extention to Firefox, which
> allows me to selectively turn on Javascript for sites that a) need it,
> and b) I trust.
>
> Unfortunately I work in the field of IT security and I'm very much aware
> of what someone with bad intentions can do with Javascript. If the 90%
> of surfers who have Javascript turned on knew what ITSec pros know about
> it's potential for harm, they'd turn it off immediately.
>
> Still, it keeps the phishers, pharmers, adware writers, spyware writers,
> virus writers, identity thieves, credit card information thieves, etc.,
> all very happy.

All my previous sites have been mostly HTML but I am slowly starting to
see the benefit of Javascript for things like creating tooltips that
display EXIF info on mouseover, or for hiding menus so that more of the
screen is used to display the images, etc.

I've completed 90% of the new site's navigation and will be adding
content to the new pages soon. I think what I will obviously have to do
is create a pointer to the old site for people who don't want to turn
Javascript on when they visit my site.

Thanks for the input.

--
http://www.nikongear.com/

Derek Fountain

> I think what I will obviously have to do
> is create a pointer to the old site for people who don't want to turn
> Javascript on when they visit my site.

Just create web pages that look OK with or without Javascript turned on.
You can do your menus and EXIF cleverness with CSS.

EspenM

"DD" <figure.it.out@d_____d____.com> wrote:

> Some great shots there, particularly in the live music section. What
> camera and lens were you using there?

Thanks! For all of the shots I've used a Canon 10D. The lenses used are
mostly Sigma 105mm f:2.8, Canon 50mm f:1.4 and Sigma 10-20mm f:4-5.6. Mostly
iso 800-1600.

-Espen

Mick Harris

"EspenM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44b13e2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I totally ruined my personal economy last week when I bought the Canon
>5D... :-/ Well, anyway, so far I am greatly satisfied! I just put some new
>photos at my website, for anyone who is interested... It's in norwegian
>though, but the language of photos is fairly international, I guess
>URL:http://www.espenmills.com

Yeah, some excelent work there m8, nice one.
ATB
Mick