Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Linux Photoshop

Linux Photoshop

Anthony Blunt

Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?

Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
useful for 12 bit RAW images.

Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.

Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
ears open?

I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
under Linux. Is that possible?

Ockham's Razor

In article <kzfrg.18419$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Anthony Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
>

> Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
> useful for 12 bit RAW images.
>
> Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
>
> Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
> competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
> editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
>
> Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
> ears open?
>
> I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
> under Linux. Is that possible?

Get to work. Most fortunes are made by people who recognize and fulfill
a need before anyone else.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

rhys sage

Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

Ockham's Razor wrote:

> Get to work. Most fortunes are made by people who recognize and
> fulfill a need before anyone else.

Frank Pittel

Not true at all. Plenty of people and companies spend a lot of money for
software that runs on linux.

: Ockham's Razor wrote:

: > Get to work. Most fortunes are made by people who recognize and
: > fulfill a need before anyone else.

: --

--

-------------------

Shawn Hirn

In article <_cirg.18962$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rhys sage" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

Are you kidding? Lots of people pay for Linux software. Not all Linux
software is in the public domain.

Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:49:04 GMT, Anthony Blunt wrote:

> Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?

Well, it's cheating, I know...
Having migrated to linux exclusively a little over two years ago,
I am happy with Picture Window Pro running in wine.

http://www.dl-c.com/

Seems my intuitor meshes better with PW than with gimp.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

PitR

Anthony Blunt wrote:
> Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
>

> Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
> useful for 12 bit RAW images.
>
> Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
>
> Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
> competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
> editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
>
> Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
> ears open?
>
> I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
> under Linux. Is that possible?
> --

I probably won't be able to hack the source code of a commercial
program, but I could write a quick emulator that would allow you to use
(most) features of the Canon program for Mac, as they both run under a
UNIX kernel..

I don't know what the program is though, but if you let me know where
to download it from I'll be more than happy to experiment..

> -- rys sage:

Furthermore, just because (some) Linux's programs fall under the GNU
lisence, most programs are not.
Do you know that Novell own a fair bit of distributions?

Do you know that UNIX are the most expensive systems out there?

It's usually best not to comment in such ill-chosen way until you're
certain that what you're saying is correct.

Which in this case, it isn't.

PitR

PitR wrote:
> Anthony Blunt wrote:
> > Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
> >

> > Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
> > useful for 12 bit RAW images.
> >
> > Bibble's not too great nor is G-Photo nor many other packages.
> >
> > Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
> > competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
> > editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.
> >
> > Are there any programmers from the Linux world out there with their
> > ears open?
> >
> > I'd like to see the Apple Mac software from Canon etc made to work
> > under Linux. Is that possible?
> > --

> I probably won't be able to hack the source code of a commercial
> program, but I could write a quick emulator that would allow you to use
> (most) features of the Canon program for Mac, as they both run under a
> UNIX kernel..
>
> I don't know what the program is though, but if you let me know where
> to download it from I'll be more than happy to experiment..
>
> > -- rys sage:

> Furthermore, just because (some) Linux's programs fall under the GNU
> lisence, most programs are not.
> Do you know that Novell own a fair bit of distributions?
>
> Do you know that UNIX are the most expensive systems out there?
>
> It's usually best not to comment in such ill-chosen way until you're
> certain that what you're saying is correct.
>
> Which in this case, it isn't.

BTW.. You can download gimpshop.. I don't know if you'll be able to
edit 12bit raw images, but its interface resembles photoshop.. Not that
it'll make much of a difference, but I hate the gimp interface..

Floyd L. Davidson

Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <_cirg.18962$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rhys sage" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> Lol. True but for the fact nobody will pay for Linux software.

>Are you kidding? Lots of people pay for Linux software.

RedHat, Novell, and IBM all seem to be doing well at selling
Linux software!

>Not all Linux
>software is in the public domain.

Virtually *no* Linux software is public domain. It is *all*
copyrighted.

Oddly enough, the only Unix software that is in the public
domain is probably what SCO thinks it owns!

Floyd L. Davidson

"Anthony Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Has anybody found a really good photo editor for Linux?
>
>Thus far there's The Gimp which works solely in 8-bit format - not
>useful for 12 bit RAW images.

A bogus idea. Whether you use Photoshop or The Gimp, your RAW
data has to be converted to an image format before you can edit
it. The internal image format used by The Gimp is indeed an 8
bit format, but quite frankly unless you are doing some rather
high end printing that isn't going to make any difference that
you'll be able to actually see.

>Linux is at the point where everything's so good that it's almost a
>competitor to Windows but for the fact it's so badly lacking with photo
>editors. Wine and Photoshop Elements 2 just isn't an option.

The Gimp lacks some features that a graphics artist needs, but
for digital photography it does just fine.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)