Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digitizing slides with FZ30?

Digitizing slides with FZ30?

IRO

I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
scanner?
I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)

Anyone cracked this particular nut?

BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

--
~IRO
(enzed = nz)

Roy G

"IRO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
> it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
> scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
> correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
> manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.
>
> --
> ~IRO
> (enzed = nz)

Oh how odd, those cameras which are so often touted as being so wonderful
can't close focus. Tsk, Tsk.

Seriously, to answer your question. Have you thought about projecting or
back projecting the slide and then photographing the screen. Keystoning can
be a problem, but a little photoshopping will soon fix that. It does work.

I haven't done it that way myself, because of course, I have got a real
camera. You know the kind, the lens can come off, and a slide copier can go
on..

Roy G

Pat

Google this item with this group and you'll find about a googal

The short answer is yes, in general. Probably with your camera. Lots
of options. Lots of opinions. Different strokes for different folks.

IRO wrote:
> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
> it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
> scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
> correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
> manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.
>
> --
> ~IRO
> (enzed = nz)

David J Taylor

IRO wrote:
> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
> Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
> conventional scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
> 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
> the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
> Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

For best results, get a proper scanner. A problem with any camera copying
method is getting even illumination.

I have not been aware of such focus problems with my FZ5. However, you
should be aware that for close focussing, you need to select the macro
mode, and that macro mode may only be available at certain focal lengths.
I expect you already know this. Perhaps this affects the behaviour you
are seeing.

By far the best macro can be had with cameras like the Nikon 990 (series),
which can focus down to a field width of 19mm (35mm slides are 36mm wide,
so no problem there).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/

David

Dennis Pogson

IRO wrote:
> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
> Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
> conventional scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
> 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
> the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
> Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

Do what I did. Buy a good slide/neg. scanner on Ebay for 120. Scan away all
winter, save your scans, then sell said scanner on Ebay for 180. It's
called inflation, but I call it good business practice. You cannot even
start to compare slides copied using a camera with a properly-scanned slide
or color neg., believe me, I've tried!

People seem to think all the time of cost, but never of profit.

Dennis.

Ernie Willson

IRO wrote:
> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
> it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
> scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
> correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
> manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

Depending on the model of your camera, you may be able to buy a slide
copier that attaches to your camera. I have one for my Canon S1 IS and
it works well. There is one issue though...The aspect ratio of a 35mm
slide is 3:2 (1.5 inches by 1.0 inch), whereas the aspect ratio of a
digital frame is 4:3 (640 by 480). This means that when you photograph
the slide it will not completely fill the frame, or you must crop it.

If this is unacceptable then I'd suggest buying a scanner that can copy
slides.

HTH,
EJ in NJ

Vic Dura

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:12:11 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote Re Re: Digitizing slides with
FZ30?:

>IRO wrote:
>> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
>> Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
>> conventional scanner?
>> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
>> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
>> 50mm)
>>
>> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>>
>> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
>> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
>> the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
>> Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

>Do what I did. Buy a good slide/neg. scanner on Ebay for 120. Scan away all
>winter, save your scans, then sell said scanner on Ebay for 180. It's
>called inflation, but I call it good business practice. You cannot even
>start to compare slides copied using a camera with a properly-scanned slide
>or color neg., believe me, I've tried!
>
>People seem to think all the time of cost, but never of profit.
>
>Dennis.

What was the make/model of the one you use?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Pete D

Dont do it. Just buy a scanner, Canon have the 8400F, reasonable price and
will scan 4 slides at a time and give a far superior result.

"IRO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
> it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
> scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
>
> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
> correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
> manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.
>
> --
> ~IRO
> (enzed = nz)

Malcolm

"IRO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
> it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
> scanner?
> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
>
> Anyone cracked this particular nut?

This is how I did it:
http://tinyurl.com/czet8

It is home made slide duplicator made from cardboard

Malcolm