Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > vb.net vs. studio.net

vb.net vs. studio.net

Brunswick Lowe

As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other hand, is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no compelling reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB only. Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?

I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?

Brunswick

Keith N

Brunswick,

What do you intentend to develop with vb?

Peace,
Keith

"Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eSrJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other hand,
is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no compelling
reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB only.
Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?

I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?

Brunswick

Brunswick Lowe

Excellent question. Mostly desktop apps and web apps. Would like the ability
to do web services too.

Along with that, I'd like the ability to have something at home that enables
me to practice skills that would be covered on the exams for MCSD - VB.NET.

"Keith N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brunswick,
>
> What do you intentend to develop with vb?
>
> Peace,
> Keith

> "Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eSrJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other

hand,
> is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no

compelling
> reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB only.
> Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?
>
> I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?
>
> Brunswick

Davin Mickelson

Minimally, I would buy VS.NET Professional Edition 2003. Here's a web site
stating what you'll be missing.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/howtobuy/choosing.aspx

Keep in mind that MCSD.NET exams are based primarily on the .NET CLR,
although a few questions may arise for VS.NET, not VB.NET.

If you want to save some serious cash when you buy VS.NET, use a
price-saving web search engine, like:
http://www.nexttag.com Be wary of the stores advertised at this site by
reading customer reviews.

Besides, it will only help you to be exposed to a bit of C# so you can truly
understand how another language operates on top of the .NET libraries.

BTW - be sure you are developing on Windows 2000 Pro/Server or XP Pro (not
XP home) so you will have an IIS server to program against.

Good luck to you.
Davin Mickelson

"Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excellent question. Mostly desktop apps and web apps. Would like the

ability
> to do web services too.
>
> Along with that, I'd like the ability to have something at home that

enables
> me to practice skills that would be covered on the exams for MCSD -

VB.NET.

> "Keith N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Brunswick,
> >
> > What do you intentend to develop with vb?
> >
> > Peace,
> > Keith

> > "Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:eSrJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other

> hand,
> > is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no

> compelling
> > reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB

only.
> > Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?
> >
> > I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?
> >
> > Brunswick

GVaught

Well you could always go back to school or get a job as an instructor and buy the Academic version of VS.NET for about 118.00 after shipping. I believe the Academic version is equivalent to the Professional Edition.
"Brunswick Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:eSrJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other hand, is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no compelling reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB only. Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?

I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?

Brunswick

John S

Cheap skate.