Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How good is high ISO?

How good is high ISO?

Richard Blackwood

My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
800, 1000 and even 3200!

Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
such high iso's useful?

This old Bob

There is very little noise at high ISO on the better cameras. ISO 1600 is
very clean on the 20D, for example.

"Richard Blackwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
> it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
> 800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
> Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
> such high iso's useful?

Scott in Florida

On 4 Jul 2006 12:44:30 -0700, "Richard Blackwood"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
>it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
>800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
>Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
>such high iso's useful?

ISO 3200 on my 5D has very little noise.

I've been amazed...

--

Scott in Florida

sally

"Richard Blackwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
> My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
> it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
> 800, 1000 and even 3200!

Noise depends a lot on the size of your sensor. The tiny sensors in
compact cameras will get very noisy at higher ISO speeds.

Dave

The Canon 20D also incorporates noise reduction circuitry. I'm not sure if
other Canons do or other brands of DSLRs.

"Richard Blackwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
> it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
> 800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
> Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
> such high iso's useful?

John A. Stovall

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
>it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
>800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
>Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
>such high iso's useful?

I routinely shot ISO3200 with my canon 5D. It's very useful produces
great images. In fact it can be pushed to over 12800. Might want to
use a little NN at that point.

--

"One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.
One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.

"Sweet Banana"
Battle hymm of the Rhodesian African Rifles

Pete D

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4 Jul 2006 12:44:30 -0700, "Richard Blackwood"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
>>it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
>>800, 1000 and even 3200!
>>
>>Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
>>such high iso's useful?

> I routinely shot ISO3200 with my canon 5D. It's very useful produces
> great images. In fact it can be pushed to over 12800. Might want to
> use a little NN at that point.

Just a touch?

Allan Morrison

Check out the specs and features on the Canon Digic Chipset.

Noise avoidance is a major design feature of this product line and a big
reason why I chose to go all Canon when it was time to trade in my
analog Minolta outfit.

Digic is in their whole line of products.

-allan morrison

lubecki@hotmail.com

Richard Blackwood wrote:
> My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
> it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
> 800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
> Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
> such high iso's useful?

For point & shoot cameras, yes, for the most part it's just a marketing
tool. Their sensors are very small and generate a ton of noise at
higher ISOs. For me those high ISO pictures are just unusable. One
standout in this respect is the new Fuji sensor (Fuji F10, F11, and F30
use it), which does a great job of keeping the noise down without
losing detail.

DSLR cameras have much larger sensors and consequently much less noise.
I played with a friend's Nikon D70 this weekend, and ISO 1600 pictures
from his camera look as good or better than ISO 200 pictures from my
point & shoot (Panasonic Lumix LX1).

-Gniewko

EspenM

"Richard Blackwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
> it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
> 800, 1000 and even 3200!
>
> Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
> such high iso's useful?

The P&S's are getting better and better. See crops and comparison with Canon
A700 from the new Fuji F30 here:
URL:http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_f30_crops.html
URL:http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_f30_crops2.html

--