Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > First attempts with new Canon 30 D

First attempts with new Canon 30 D

Mike

Guys

I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I have
in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=dhvkZq
Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.

Thanks

Mike.

Matt Ion

Mike wrote:
> Guys
>
> I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
> Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I have
> in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
> http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=dhvkZq
> Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
> bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.

Wow - pretty nice!

What lens are you using? The bird would stand out a little better there
with a slightly shallower depth of field (wider aperture), if
available... I might have moved a bit to put blue sky behind him instead.

Is there any post-processing done?

Bill K

Very well done. You might try cropping in a little tighter but that's
nitpicking. The colours are very nice. Maybe a little more depth of
field. Looks like you made a good purchase.
Bill in Lake Charles.

Bill Crocker

news:44aa7ab5$0$12742$(E-Mail Removed)224.net.. .
> Guys
>
> I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
> Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I
> have
> in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
> http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=dhvkZq
> Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
> bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike.

Nothing like confusing the poor guy! One says less depth of field would be
better, the other says it needs more depth of field.

I think the flowers look great if the dumb bird didn't get in there!

That's a great start. I think you've motivated me to go out tomorrow and
get a 30D. Seriously!

Bill Crocker

Matt Ion

Bill Crocker wrote:
> news:44aa7ab5$0$12742$(E-Mail Removed)224.net.. .
>
>>Guys
>>
>>I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
>>Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I
>>have
>>in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
>>http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=dhvkZq
>>Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
>>bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Mike.
>>

> Nothing like confusing the poor guy! One says less depth of field would be
> better, the other says it needs more depth of field.

Heheh, well, it's subjective I guess... less DOF would blur the leaves
behind the bird more into a smoother green backing, allowing the bird to
stand out a bit more.

> I think the flowers look great if the dumb bird didn't get in there!

Yeah, where's my gun??

> That's a great start. I think you've motivated me to go out tomorrow and
> get a 30D. Seriously!

I don't need the picture as motivation... I just need a Platinum Visa
card that someone else gets the statements for.

Mike

Matt

I was using a Canon 75-300 mm zoom with a Kenko 2 times multiplier I did try
to move after I took the photos you see byt she flew away I was about 20
feet from her at the time I took the photos. On these photos I have done no
processing only converted from Raw to Jpeg. I left them as they were so I
could get critique on the picture and not on any processing that may have
been done.

Mike

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>> Guys
>>
>> I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
>> Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I
>> have
>> in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
>> http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=dhvkZq
>> Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
>> bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.

> Wow - pretty nice!
>
> What lens are you using? The bird would stand out a little better there
> with a slightly shallower depth of field (wider aperture), if available...
> I might have moved a bit to put blue sky behind him instead.
>
> Is there any post-processing done?

Matt Ion

Thanks for the update... yeah, great shots, I'm very impressed by the
color and sharpness. I have an older EF 75-300 lens and I've never been
too happy with its sharpness (or lack thereof)... thinking more and more
that I just got one from a weak batch or something.