Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 4MP + Camera Which Allows Remote Capture?

4MP + Camera Which Allows Remote Capture?

George Styles

Hi,
Im trying to ocr in some books by using a camera to photograph each page,
and using FineReader to read them. I used the remote capture facility on the
computer to preview / line up the shots and take them (using my foot to
press space as my hands were in use holding the book open).

This worked very well with my old Canon Ixus 400, but the camera got stolen.

The insurance replaced it with a Ixus 750, but it seems that Canon have
removed the remote capture facility from all their newer cameras.

Before I just buy another Ixus 400 on ebay for this, does anyone know of any
4MP+ cameras that have a good remote capture facility (ie, preview the shot
in real time on a PC and capture with a single key press). The 400 was good,
but a little slow, so ideally I would get a camera with USB2 connection
(which actually uses the faster speed).

Any info? any comments on which makes / models support remote capture?

I have a budget of around 150.

Im considering the Ixus wireless, but i dont know how long it will take per
shot to transfer to the PC, anyone have one and can tell me?

Other than that, can anyone tell me what models support this kind of remote
capture?

Failing that, does anyone know which manufactures have a socket to plug an
external shutter release into on their 'consumer' models?

thanks

George

bugbear

George Styles wrote:
> Any info? any comments on which makes / models support remote capture?
>
> I have a budget of around 150.
>
> Im considering the Ixus wireless, but i dont know how long it will take per
> shot to transfer to the PC, anyone have one and can tell me?
>
> Other than that, can anyone tell me what models support this kind of remote
> capture?
>
> Failing that, does anyone know which manufactures have a socket to plug an
> external shutter release into on their 'consumer' models?

Many models, although Canon are rather bad at this,
can have the capture triggered by the PC.
The camera is actually controlled over USB
as well as uploading the data over USB.

Which might be relevant to your application.

BugBear

tomm42

George Styles wrote:
> Hi,
> Im trying to ocr in some books by using a camera to photograph each page,
> and using FineReader to read them. I used the remote capture facility on the
> computer to preview / line up the shots and take them (using my foot to
> press space as my hands were in use holding the book open).
>
> This worked very well with my old Canon Ixus 400, but the camera got stolen.
>
> The insurance replaced it with a Ixus 750, but it seems that Canon have
> removed the remote capture facility from all their newer cameras.
>
> Before I just buy another Ixus 400 on ebay for this, does anyone know of any
> 4MP+ cameras that have a good remote capture facility (ie, preview the shot
> in real time on a PC and capture with a single key press). The 400 was good,
> but a little slow, so ideally I would get a camera with USB2 connection
> (which actually uses the faster speed).
>
> Any info? any comments on which makes / models support remote capture?
>
> I have a budget of around 150.
>
> Im considering the Ixus wireless, but i dont know how long it will take per
> shot to transfer to the PC, anyone have one and can tell me?
>
> Other than that, can anyone tell me what models support this kind of remote
> capture?
>
> Failing that, does anyone know which manufactures have a socket to plug an
> external shutter release into on their 'consumer' models?
>
> thanks
>
> George

George,
you might try a piece of 1/4 inch plate glassand hardware spring clamps
to hold down the book. For the camera have you looked at the Canon A5xx
cameras?

Tom

ripnetuk@gmail.com

> George,
> you might try a piece of 1/4 inch plate glassand hardware spring clamps
> to hold down the book. For the camera have you looked at the Canon A5xx
> cameras?

Thanks for the reply, but the name of the game is speed. Its only Just
worth it if I can do a quick turn, shot, turn, shot - i got down to
about 4s per shot.

Ernie Willson

George Styles wrote:
> Hi,
> Im trying to ocr in some books by using a camera to photograph each page,
> and using FineReader to read them. I used the remote capture facility on the
> computer to preview / line up the shots and take them (using my foot to
> press space as my hands were in use holding the book open).
>
> This worked very well with my old Canon Ixus 400, but the camera got stolen.
>
> The insurance replaced it with a Ixus 750, but it seems that Canon have
> removed the remote capture facility from all their newer cameras.
>
> Before I just buy another Ixus 400 on ebay for this, does anyone know of any
> 4MP+ cameras that have a good remote capture facility (ie, preview the shot
> in real time on a PC and capture with a single key press). The 400 was good,
> but a little slow, so ideally I would get a camera with USB2 connection
> (which actually uses the faster speed).
>
> Any info? any comments on which makes / models support remote capture?
>
> I have a budget of around 150.
>
> Im considering the Ixus wireless, but i dont know how long it will take per
> shot to transfer to the PC, anyone have one and can tell me?
>
> Other than that, can anyone tell me what models support this kind of remote
> capture?
>
> Failing that, does anyone know which manufactures have a socket to plug an
> external shutter release into on their 'consumer' models?
>
> thanks
>
> George

The Canon S1 IS work with remote capture. I use the remote capture
feature on the S1 IS constantly.

The Canon G2 manual also says that it will work with remote capture.

Perhaps you can pick up one of these used.

HTH,
EJ in NJ