Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Petition for new firmware for KM 5d/7d

Petition for new firmware for KM 5d/7d

Kcirtap

The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to ask
Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.

The petition can be signed here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html

1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
Let's hope we'll achieve something here.

Patrick

J. Clarke

Kcirtap wrote:

> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
>
> The petition can be signed here:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
>
> 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
> Let's hope we'll achieve something here.

They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Kcirtap

"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kcirtap wrote:
>
>> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
>> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
>>
>> The petition can be signed here:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
>>
>> 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
>> Let's hope we'll achieve something here.

> They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
> NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
> has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
> wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

I'm aware of that, but I hope they'll realize that they need to keep the
existing KM users (high-potential future customers) happy. Camera business
is just not the same as electronics (at least DSLR's aren't). Photographers
are very brand-bonded and will not change easily. Basically, everyone owning
KM glass is a potential customer. Of course they'll rather sell to
newcomers, but we'll have to see how Sony (Minolta) does in the race between
several long-standing well-known brands.
Patrick

Pete D

What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

"Kcirtap" <pkramer"@"dse.nl> wrote in message
news:44a6c9dd$0$74925$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
>
> The petition can be signed here:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
>
> 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
> Let's hope we'll achieve something here.
>
> Patrick

Kevin Agard

Kcirtap wrote:
> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to ask
> Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
>
> The petition can be signed here:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
>
> 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
> Let's hope we'll achieve something here.
>
> Patrick

"expect from Sony to offer support??"

You know, you would think that people writing a petition to a
multinational corporation would, at the very least, get the grammatical
syntax correctly if they expect to have any credibility whatsoever!
While I'd like to see the items being petitioned for, I wouldn't sign that.

And they may have gotten 1900 responses but I doubt that many of the
entries their are going to mean a thing to Sony. I'm sure that are
probably not going to really care what Junior, trade, charles, Milan66,
0577bird, et al think.

KMA

Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article <j%Ipg.4853$fv3.3743@trnddc02>,
Kevin Agard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Kcirtap wrote:
> > The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to ask
> > Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.
> >
> > The petition can be signed here:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/kmdslr/petition.html
> >
> > 1894 votes already! We should be able to get past 2000...
> > Let's hope we'll achieve something here.
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> "expect from Sony to offer support??"
>
> You know, you would think that people writing a petition to a
> multinational corporation would, at the very least, get the grammatical
> syntax correctly if they expect to have any credibility whatsoever!
> While I'd like to see the items being petitioned for, I wouldn't sign that.

What???? you would not take a signed affidavit of first graders
seriously-FOR Shame :^D

> And they may have gotten 1900 responses but I doubt that many of the
> entries their are going to mean a thing to Sony. I'm sure that are
> probably not going to really care what Junior, trade, charles, Milan66,
> 0577bird, et al think.
>
> KMA

Chalk it up to alcoholism, or maybe bad genetics,!!!
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

ASAAR

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:46:27 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

>> The Konica-Minolta forum Dyxum (http://www.dyxum.com) has a petition to
>> ask Sony for new firmware for the 5d and 7d.

> They'll do that right after the issue another firmware update for the Clie
> NX-70. Hint--Sony isn't big on supporting stuff that _they_ made after it
> has gone out of production, let alone stuff that somebody _else_ made. I
> wish you luck but don't hold your breath.

While it would be surprising if Sony were to upgrade the K/M's
firmware, there's a big difference between supporting it and
supporting the NX-70. The latter was a "Palm" style PDA, and Sony
was rapidly abandoning that market at the time (seen any new Clies
lately?), whereas nobody is foolish enough to think that Sony might
soon decide to get out of its camera business.

Stéphane Guillard

Hi,

> What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

For me, two things :

1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to FAT
folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot of my
XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure through
the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : . This happened
to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

2 - software or hardware ? (or both) maybe twice in 2 years, in the middle
of a shooting session, the camera went havoc when I pressed the shutter
button : LCD black, lens iris semi-closed (left stuck at the shooting
aperture), no control reaction. A power off/on cycle rebooted the machine
fine. Battery far from empty, before you ask. And Sigma 28/70 2.8 (non DG
non EX). But this lens has shot thousands of pictures both with my 600 si,
9xi and now 7D without any problem.

Maybe a third ? why not shake the sensor à la Sony Alpha 100 at power on
and/or off, using the stabilizer's piezo motors, to clean dust ?

Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with my 7D.

Regards,
--
Stéphane Guillard

Stéphane Guillard

Hi,

> 1 - there is obviously a bug in the current 7D firmware with respect to
> FAT folders management, when you consider this picture (it is a snapshot
> of my XP machine's Explorer browsing the CompactFlash directory structure
> through the USB PC <=> camera link ; CF never taken out of camera) : .
> This happened to me only once, but this is a sufficient bug proof.

Oops, forgot to paste the URL : http://s.guillard.free.fr/d7d-fw-bug.jpg

Regards,
--
Stéphane

Darrell Larose

"Stéphane Guillard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a91eb6$0$10287$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
>> What is actually broken and needs a firmware update to fix?

> Maybe a third ? why not shake the sensor à la Sony Alpha 100 at power on
> and/or off, using the stabilizer's piezo motors, to clean dust ?

You can add that with firmware! Where will the dust go? In the Olympus
E-300/500/330 there is a dust catcher. Where will the dust go, except back
on the sensor in a different place.