Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Going thru memory cards w/ Canon S3

Going thru memory cards w/ Canon S3

Michael Reinders

I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all of
a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.

Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to take
a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.

What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???

Thanks!

--
----------------------------
Michael Reinders

bongo rule

"Michael Reinders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qFipg.1746$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
>Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all
>of a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
>zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
>
> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to
> take a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
>
> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ----------------------------
> Michael Reinders

on the odd occasion this has happened to me, I plug the camera into my comp,
then format the card using windows.

Dave Cohen

bongo rule wrote:
> "Michael Reinders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qFipg.1746$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>> I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
>> Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all
>> of a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
>> zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
>>
>> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
>> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to
>> take a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
>>
>> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
>> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> ----------------------------
>> Michael Reinders
>>

> on the odd occasion this has happened to me, I plug the camera into my comp,
> then format the card using windows.

On my A95, I've formatted in camera and in winxp both fa16 and fat32 and
all seems well. Fat32 was just for test, the card capacity (256mb)
clearly requires fat16.

I would download cw103.zip from PhotoRescue (free), wipe card and format
in camera. Make sure you only turn camera off when not writing data to
card. While off brand cards are probably ok, I would stick with
something with a name like Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston.
Dave Cohen

David Sommers

My S3 IS is rock solid with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB SD cards. I have taken over
2500 shots with it so far. If your replacement SD card shows any sign of
malfunction, I'd say the camera is bad.

Bye.

"Michael Reinders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qFipg.1746$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
>Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all
>of a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
>zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
>
> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to
> take a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
>
> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ----------------------------
> Michael Reinders

tomm42

Michael Reinders wrote:
> I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
> Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all of
> a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
> zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
>
> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to take
> a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
>
> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ----------------------------
> Michael Reinders

Did you format the card in the camera? If you did I'd take the camera
back for a check up. If you didn't format the card in the camera, cards
definitly work better when you do. I have seen cards work not formated
and all of a sudden fail , as your did. Also get a card reader to
transfer your images, especially if you have multiple cards. Cameras
will down load to your computer, but the manufacturers don't want you
to do drive utilities with them. I have had card failures that I had to
format the card from a card reader, then do a camera format and that
brought back the card.

Tom

Ernie Willson

Michael Reinders wrote:
> I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
> Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all of
> a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
> zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
>
> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to take
> a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
>
> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
>
> Thanks!

Like several others I feel that you may need to reformat the card. I do
this in another camera. Usually I can download the images thru the other
camera, then format. After reinserting the card in the offending camera
I then format it again. Works for me, YMMV.

EJ in NJ