Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > a bad experience with a digital camera

a bad experience with a digital camera

bugbear

The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/

but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
for a pleasant day at a country fair.

Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
wallet, sub glasses.

After about an hour my back felt...cold.
5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.

Checking the backpack revealed that the can
of coke had split, presumably due to
my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
temperature.

Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.

I no longer own a (working) camera.

BugBear

Joseph Meehan

bugbear wrote:
> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>
> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>
> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
> wallet, sub glasses.
>
> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>
> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
> of coke had split, presumably due to
> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
> temperature.
>
> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>
> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>
> BugBear

If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some good
flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It might
return to life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ian B

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3xOog.6134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bugbear wrote:
>> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
>> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
>> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>>
>> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
>> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>>
>> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
>> wallet, sub glasses.
>>
>> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
>> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>>
>> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
>> of coke had split, presumably due to
>> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
>> temperature.
>>
>> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>>
>> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>>
>> BugBear

> If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some
> good flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It
> might return to life.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

> Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
> should not have gotten through?

tomm42

bugbear wrote:
> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>
> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>
> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
> wallet, sub glasses.
>
> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>
> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
> of coke had split, presumably due to
> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
> temperature.
>
> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>
> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>
> BugBear

As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
good for that camera.
Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
of Coke.

Tom

Freda

"Ian B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a3c1cc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3xOog.6134$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> bugbear wrote:
>>> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
>>> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
>>> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>>>
>>> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
>>> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>>>
>>> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
>>> wallet, sub glasses.
>>>
>>> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
>>> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>>>
>>> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
>>> of coke had split, presumably due to
>>> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
>>> temperature.
>>>
>>> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>>>
>>> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>>>
>>> BugBear

>> If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some
>> good flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It
>> might return to life.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Meehan
>>
>> Dia duit

> Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
> should not have gotten through?

Depends on the case, I've never had one in over 30 years that's been
watertight. Their main purpose is to protect the camera from knocks, not
liquids.

Jer

tomm42 wrote:
> bugbear wrote:
>
>>The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
>>http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
>>http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>>
>>but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
>>for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>>
>>Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
>>wallet, sub glasses.
>>
>>After about an hour my back felt...cold.
>>5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>>
>>Checking the backpack revealed that the can
>>of coke had split, presumably due to
>>my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
>>temperature.
>>
>>Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>>
>>I no longer own a (working) camera.
>>
>> BugBear

> As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
> Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
> metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
> with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
> take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
> Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
> several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
> when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
> good for that camera.
> Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
> of Coke.
>
> Tom

Sorry to hear about that feller's camera, but it sounds like a
pressurized can of sugar water ruins more than one's waistline. How
anyone can ingest that garbage is a marketing miracle.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

bugbear

Ian B wrote:

>>Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
>>should not have gotten through?

Yep. Nice little padded case from Tesco.
Some kind of neoprene I think.

Case is porous, zip is nothing special.

BugBear

bugbear

tomm42 wrote:
> As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
> Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
> metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
> with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
> take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
> Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
> several hours. Can't hurt,

I'll try it; I'm in a "no lose" situation here.

> I always keep the camera separate from food
> when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
> good for that camera.

You're wiser than I

> Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
> of Coke.

Yes; I have no criticism of the camera, only my own
stupidity.

I wasn't really looking for help (although it's much
appreciated) more trying to warn others.

BugBear

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> bugbear wrote:
> > The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
> > http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
> > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
> >
> > but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
> > for a pleasant day at a country fair.
> >
> > Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
> > wallet, sub glasses.
> >
> > After about an hour my back felt...cold.
> > 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
> >
> > Checking the backpack revealed that the can
> > of coke had split, presumably due to
> > my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
> > temperature.
> >
> > Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
> >
> > I no longer own a (working) camera.
> >
> > BugBear

> As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
> Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
> metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
> with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
> take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
> Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
> several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
> when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
> good for that camera.
> Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
> of Coke.
>
> Tom

Excellent advice.I saved my 10 years old VCR from an afternoon in the rain
(I threw it away when I thought it was toast after some kid switched it to
NTSC playback), by opening its case and running a fan heater in front of
it.But when it was wet it didn't work, so don't give up hope.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion

T i m

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:08:47 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>bugbear wrote:
>> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
>> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4ima...php?cat_id=177
>> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>>
>> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
>> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>>
>> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
>> wallet, sub glasses.
>>
>> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
>> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>>
>> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
>> of coke had split, presumably due to
>> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
>> temperature.
>>
>> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>>
>> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>>
>> BugBear

> If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some good
>flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It might
>return to life.

I just did this to a mates laptop keyboard .. now works a treat again

All the best ..

T i m