Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ZoneAlarm (Basic) and ICS in Windows XP

ZoneAlarm (Basic) and ICS in Windows XP

Andrew Johnson

Hi,

I have been looking for a while as to how to get my XP shared internet
connection working through Zone Alarm (basic)

It is said to be possible by enabling the subnet (as I have done already -
see here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ad.johnson/za.jpg (60 KB)

but this doesn't work.

The Xp firewall is off. As soon as I shut down ZA, I can "get through" to
the internet from my other machine.

I tried specifying the 2nd machine's IP address directly, but this still
doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Andrew

=?Utf-8?B?YWhoeXllcw==?=

Find out what the range of IP's is that your router gives out, and add that
range to the "trusted" zone of all the computers in the network that arte
running ZA.

"Andrew Johnson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking for a while as to how to get my XP shared internet
> connection working through Zone Alarm (basic)
>
> It is said to be possible by enabling the subnet (as I have done already -
> see here
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ad.johnson/za.jpg (60 KB)
>
> but this doesn't work.
>
> The Xp firewall is off. As soon as I shut down ZA, I can "get through" to
> the internet from my other machine.
>
> I tried specifying the 2nd machine's IP address directly, but this still
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Andrew

Jafo

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:49:04 -0700, ahhyyes posted:

>"Andrew Johnson" wrote:
>> I have been looking for a while as to how to get my XP shared internet
>> connection working through Zone Alarm (basic)
>>
>> It is said to be possible by enabling the subnet (as I have done already -
>> see here
>>
>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ad.johnson/za.jpg (60 KB)
>>
>> but this doesn't work.
>>
>> The Xp firewall is off. As soon as I shut down ZA, I can "get through" to
>> the internet from my other machine.
>>
>> I tried specifying the 2nd machine's IP address directly, but this still
>> doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Any ideas?

>Find out what the range of IP's is that your router gives out, and add that
>range to the "trusted" zone of all the computers in the network that arte
>running ZA.

Before I bought a router, I used ICS and found that it wasn't
compatible with ZA Basic. I sprang for ZA Plus, which asks if
you're using ICS during its setup process. In either ZA Pro,
or the late ZA Plus, if you click on Firewall, Main, Advanced,
you'll note three options: "This computer is NOT on an ICS/NAT
network", "This computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway running
Zone Alarm Plus", and "This computer is an ICS/NAT gateway".

It turns out that this is one of the features that you have to pay
for.