Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Can I do the Full MCSD by June2004?

Can I do the Full MCSD by June2004?

Dublin john

Can someone please tell me if they think that its possible to cover 4
exams before they retire in June 2003. Its seems like its all or
nothing as if you pass all 4 then your MCSD cert will be valid after
that date. Otherwise i would have to take 4 exams for the .NET version

As it depends on each persons level of knowledge here's what I want to
take and my level
(VC++ 6.0 desktop - 70-016) Decent enough knowledge
(VC++ distributed - 70-015) Some know knowledge of COM/distributed
applicatios
(VB 6.0 Desktop - 70-176) Beginner knowledge of VB
(Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!

Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
to me!

Davin Mickelson

Hi, John.
I think you meant June 30, 2004 as the VS6 exam expirations.
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...quirements.asp

I passed all four exams (C++6/VB6) within 1 1/2 months. I've develop with
both languages but I used the Transcender practice exams for the VB6 tests.
For the VB exams, get ready to learn about the VB6 (POS, IMHO) Package and
deployment Wizard for the VB exams. This was crappy old technology that has
since been replaced by the Windows Installer.

If you have solid C++ experience, I think you'll be okay with passing the
C++ exams. These exams give plenty of time (unlike the VB6 exams) and have a
ridiculously low passing score. maybe you should reconsider the VB6 as the
elective. Take SQL 2000 Design instead.

Stay away from the InterDev exam. It's more outdated and (my opinion again)
not a fair exam.

Good luck to you,
Davin Mickelson
MCP+SB, MCSD, MCAD, MCSA

"Dublin john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can someone please tell me if they think that its possible to cover 4
> exams before they retire in June 2003. Its seems like its all or
> nothing as if you pass all 4 then your MCSD cert will be valid after
> that date. Otherwise i would have to take 4 exams for the .NET version
>
> As it depends on each persons level of knowledge here's what I want to
> take and my level
> (VC++ 6.0 desktop - 70-016) Decent enough knowledge
> (VC++ distributed - 70-015) Some know knowledge of COM/distributed
> applicatios
> (VB 6.0 Desktop - 70-176) Beginner knowledge of VB
> (Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!
>
> Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
> to me!

John S

yes
"Dublin john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can someone please tell me if they think that its possible to cover 4
> exams before they retire in June 2003. Its seems like its all or
> nothing as if you pass all 4 then your MCSD cert will be valid after
> that date. Otherwise i would have to take 4 exams for the .NET version
>
> As it depends on each persons level of knowledge here's what I want to
> take and my level
> (VC++ 6.0 desktop - 70-016) Decent enough knowledge
> (VC++ distributed - 70-015) Some know knowledge of COM/distributed
> applicatios
> (VB 6.0 Desktop - 70-176) Beginner knowledge of VB
> (Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!
>
> Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
> to me!

Dublin john

Thanks Davin for you advice,
(your right, slight typo on the date!)
I just bought the 'Exam cram' books for VC++ 6 (desktop and
distributed) but I'm still considering my approach. Should I study a
book inside out,try a few Transcender exams and take the real exam?
Then, repeat the process for the remaining 3 exams. Alternatively, I
could study for both VC++ exams before attempting the VB or SQL one?

Also, is it a matter of just craming the stuff into your head and
doing a brain dump on the day of the exam?

(Personally I would rather do the .Net stuff but practically no
developers use it in the Banking world).

Cheers!

"Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi, John.
> I think you meant June 30, 2004 as the VS6 exam expirations.
> http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...quirements.asp
>
> I passed all four exams (C++6/VB6) within 1 1/2 months. I've develop with
> both languages but I used the Transcender practice exams for the VB6 tests.
> For the VB exams, get ready to learn about the VB6 (POS, IMHO) Package and
> deployment Wizard for the VB exams. This was crappy old technology that has
> since been replaced by the Windows Installer.
>
> If you have solid C++ experience, I think you'll be okay with passing the
> C++ exams. These exams give plenty of time (unlike the VB6 exams) and have a
> ridiculously low passing score. maybe you should reconsider the VB6 as the
> elective. Take SQL 2000 Design instead.
>
> Stay away from the InterDev exam. It's more outdated and (my opinion again)
> not a fair exam.
>
> Good luck to you,
> Davin Mickelson
> MCP+SB, MCSD, MCAD, MCSA
>

> "Dublin john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Can someone please tell me if they think that its possible to cover 4
> > exams before they retire in June 2003. Its seems like its all or
> > nothing as if you pass all 4 then your MCSD cert will be valid after
> > that date. Otherwise i would have to take 4 exams for the .NET version
> >
> > As it depends on each persons level of knowledge here's what I want to
> > take and my level
> > (VC++ 6.0 desktop - 70-016) Decent enough knowledge
> > (VC++ distributed - 70-015) Some know knowledge of COM/distributed
> > applicatios
> > (VB 6.0 Desktop - 70-176) Beginner knowledge of VB
> > (Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!
> >
> > Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
> > to me!

Davin Mickelson

I suggest studying for the C++ exams in succession before studying other
technologies. There is a slight overlap in the information. For example, you
may need to know OLE DB/ADO for Desktop and Distributed applications.

As far as how to study for them, Microsoft is only going to quiz you on
about 20% of C++ technologies that were available in 1999 (A long time
ago!), when the exam became available. So what do you study? This is where
Transcender comes in handy. It focuses your training on what will be on the
exam. It's frustrating - the exam specs state an entire pie of C++
information for you to study but you'll only be quizzed on a small slice of
the pie. I used experience and MSDN to pass. I didn't have Transcender
available to me at the time (2000). Skip the books and get into Transcender.

** Tip on using Transcender or other practice exams: Create custom exams
from the entire pool of questions based solely on one subject group at a
time. Turn off the Timer - that adds stress you don't need while learning.
Enable the "Answer now" feature so that you can learn why you're right or
wrong and read the FULL answer. This concentrates learning the subject
matter and puts the related pieces together in your head. To save money, I
buy Transcender practice exams from authorized Transcender resellers on
eBay. Look for the "Authorized" logo.

MSDN is going to be helpful to you - just be sure to use a version of MSDN
that is Oct 2001 or older. Any newer version of MSDN is for VS.NET. Keep in
mind what technologies were available when the exam was created. The MSPress
study books are actually pretty good books. You can use these books to learn
about VC6, besides studying for the exam. I didn't care for the Exam Cram
series.

Banking - nobody makes the big money in banking except those at the very
top. My wife has been in banking for 10 years.

Good luck to you,
Davin Mickelson
"Dublin john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks Davin for you advice,
> (your right, slight typo on the date!)
> I just bought the 'Exam cram' books for VC++ 6 (desktop and
> distributed) but I'm still considering my approach. Should I study a
> book inside out,try a few Transcender exams and take the real exam?
> Then, repeat the process for the remaining 3 exams. Alternatively, I
> could study for both VC++ exams before attempting the VB or SQL one?
>
> Also, is it a matter of just craming the stuff into your head and
> doing a brain dump on the day of the exam?
>
> (Personally I would rather do the .Net stuff but practically no
> developers use it in the Banking world).
>
> Cheers!
>

> "Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi, John.
> > I think you meant June 30, 2004 as the VS6 exam expirations.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...quirements.asp
> >
> > I passed all four exams (C++6/VB6) within 1 1/2 months. I've develop

with
> > both languages but I used the Transcender practice exams for the VB6

tests.
> > For the VB exams, get ready to learn about the VB6 (POS, IMHO) Package

and
> > deployment Wizard for the VB exams. This was crappy old technology that

has
> > since been replaced by the Windows Installer.
> >
> > If you have solid C++ experience, I think you'll be okay with passing

the
> > C++ exams. These exams give plenty of time (unlike the VB6 exams) and

have a
> > ridiculously low passing score. maybe you should reconsider the VB6 as

the
> > elective. Take SQL 2000 Design instead.
> >
> > Stay away from the InterDev exam. It's more outdated and (my opinion

again)
> > not a fair exam.
> >
> > Good luck to you,
> > Davin Mickelson
> > MCP+SB, MCSD, MCAD, MCSA
> >

> > "Dublin john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Can someone please tell me if they think that its possible to cover 4
> > > exams before they retire in June 2003. Its seems like its all or
> > > nothing as if you pass all 4 then your MCSD cert will be valid after
> > > that date. Otherwise i would have to take 4 exams for the .NET version
> > >
> > > As it depends on each persons level of knowledge here's what I want to
> > > take and my level
> > > (VC++ 6.0 desktop - 70-016) Decent enough knowledge
> > > (VC++ distributed - 70-015) Some know knowledge of COM/distributed
> > > applicatios
> > > (VB 6.0 Desktop - 70-176) Beginner knowledge of VB
> > > (Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!
> > >
> > > Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
> > > to me!

Dublin john

That's useful advice Davin. Thanks very much. It should surely reduce the work load!

"Davin Mickelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I suggest studying for the C++ exams in succession before studying other
> technologies. There is a slight overl..................

How can MCSD Track 6.0 Upgrade to MCSD .Net? Jose MCSD 1 08-11-2003 12:21 PM
MCSD vs MCSD.net Georges MCSD 0 07-18-2003 06:19 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Davin MCSD 0 06-30-2003 03:26 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Cindy Winegarden MCSD 0 06-29-2003 07:42 PM
How to upgrade from MCSD to MCSD.Net? Deena MCSD 1 06-29-2003 10:53 AM

Advertisments