Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > On-line photo album Canon RAW format

On-line photo album Canon RAW format

simon.birchall@googlemail.com

Dear all

Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?

I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully

Many Thanks
Simon

Darrell Larose

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dear all
>
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
>
> I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully

Who is going to sit and wait for a 8.7 MB image to load? Web browsers don't
support RAW, so again what is the point? There really is no need to display
a web image any larger than 700-800 pixels on the long side.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dear all
>
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
>
> I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully
>
> Many Thanks
> Simon

I would be extremely surprised if they did.

Raw is not meant to be a Format for displaying Images. There is no Standard
for Raw, each Camera maker has their own.

It is a means of getting a better quality image OFF your camera sensor. It
needs to be converted to a standard Format, (Tiff, Jpeg or whatever), before
being displayed or printed.

Roy G

Helen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dear all
>
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?

Of course not. A RAW is not yet a picture; it's binary data.

k-man

I know that Picasa supports the Canon Rebel XT. I don't know about
support for other Canon RAW formats. But, if Picasa can read your RAW
files, then you can use it to batch convert your pics to JPGs and then
you can just upload them to a site.

In general, you can probably post a RAW file to some sites; but nobody
will be able to view it unless they first download it and then open it
up with a separate viewer.

Kevin

> Dear all
>
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
>
> I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully
>
> Many Thanks
> Simon

Simon Quantrill

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:44:24 +0100, Helen wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Dear all
>>
>> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
>>

> Of course not. A RAW is not yet a picture; it's binary data.

This is not strictly true of course because both jpg and raw are binary
data!!
Both formats are used to represent a real picture on a computer screen or
to print to a piece of paper.
However it would be better to view a raw image representing a negative on
an analogue camara and a jpg the final print.
It is easier usualt to change things on the negative whilst printing than
when the photo has been printed to paper.

I shoot in RAW all the time then I use gimp+udraw to convert to jpg then
send emails or post to websites with the jpg.

Simon

Mark B.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dear all
>
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
>
> I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully
>
> Many Thanks
> Simon

Why in the world would you want to post a full resolution image to an online
photo album anyway? It would take forever to load on dialup and the image
size is overkill for internet display. If the album doesn't automatically
resize the image, you end up scrolling around to see the entire image - very
annoying. I usually don't post anything larger than 800x600.
To answer your question, I'm certain there are no online albums that support
raw.

Mark

jason mechler

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?

PhotoShelter will allow you to store raw format files. I haven't
used it, so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I imagine they
just display the embedded JPEG preview.

http://www.photoshelter.com/tour/feature/archive