Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70s Long exposures

D70s Long exposures

Tim

Hi

I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my only
option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control

I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
on the bulb setting in manual mode

Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different ways of
doing this

TIA

Tim

acl

Tim wrote:

> I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my only
> option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control
>
> I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
> on the bulb setting in manual mode
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different ways of
> doing this

Hello, take a look at
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.ph...1da49ebc2059cc
(sorry if the link is too long). Actually I'll cut and paste from what
I wrote there:

You could get a remote release for your camera (I don't know if cable,
wireless or both are available for your camera, look around). Two other

a) Say you want a photo at ISO 100, 4min, f/5.6; take 8 photos at ISO
100, f/5.6, 30sec and add them (eg in photoshop you can layer them and
use Screen blending, which is close enough, or there are programs to
add them). The problem with this is that read noise may be amplified
(if it's patterned)
b) Take many photos (as above) but average them (eg take 4 photos,
layer them, and give the topmost layer 25% opacity, the next 33%, the
next 50% and the last 100%). The resulting image will still be
underexposed, but much cleaner (less noise), so you can easily boost
the shadows. The same problem as above with read noise, but you can use
higher ISOs here to alleviate this (because random noise gets averaged
out when adding, and read noise is smaller relative to the signal).

I use the second technique a lot with my D200 (using the built-in
intervalometer, but it's not necessary).

Bill

"Tim" <no http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my only
>option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control

The D70s can use the newer wired remote MC-DC1 as well as the wireless
remote, although it costs more. I like the wired remotes better because
I'm usually behind the camera for long exposures or night shots, etc.

The wireless remote needs to be aimed at the IR port on the front of the
camera.

FYI - the older D70 model does not have a wired port.

>I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
>on the bulb setting in manual mode

I believe so...

aussie bongo

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> "Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my
>>only
>>option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control

snipped

>>I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
>>on the bulb setting in manual mode

i think you will find it is the same as the D50. you press the button and
have to hold it down all the time you are taking the shot.

there are some after market remotes where you press once and the remote will
keep the button pressed untill you press it again.

Roy G

"Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IsBng.91333$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi
>
> I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my
> only option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control
>
> I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
> on the bulb setting in manual mode
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different ways of
> doing this
>
> TIA
>
> Tim

Hi.

If it is on a solid tripod, and you are making lo-ong exposures, you can
still do it the old fashioned way.

Hold something dark in front of the lens, open the shutter by pressing the
button. Wait for vibrations to die down and then remove the dark object
which was in front of the lens. And vice versa when ready to end the
exposure.

It works for Digital and Film Cameras, but be aware that Digital have some
peculiarities about very long exposures.

Roy G

sid derra

"aussie bongo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9CCng.15150$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my
>>>only
>>>option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control

> snipped
>

>>>I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when
>>>it's
>>>on the bulb setting in manual mode

> i think you will find it is the same as the D50. you press the button and
> have to hold it down all the time you are taking the shot.

id have to double check with the d50 (too lazy to get out of bed right now
), but on the d70 it definitely is NOT like this. press once to open,
press again to close the shutter.

kombi45@yahoo.com

Tim wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my only
> option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control
>
> I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
> on the bulb setting in manual mode
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different ways of
> doing this
>
> TIA
>
> Tim

You are correct, however the explanation of how to use the D70s in
"Bulb" mode is on pgs 82-83 in the manual. And there is no cable
release for this camera that I'm aware of. So you can either press the
shutter release to open and then to close the shutter or use the ML-L3
remote to open open and then release it. BTW, if you have a Vibration
Reduction lens, turn off the VR feature or you will get noise in the
exposure...I learned this the hard way.

Some longer exposure shots w/ the D70s (not w/ remote, BTW):

http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/birmingham_at_night

Bill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You are correct, however the explanation of how to use the D70s in
>"Bulb" mode is on pgs 82-83 in the manual. And there is no cable
>release for this camera that I'm aware of.

FYI:

The D70s model introduced a new cable release design that the older D70
model lacked.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:27:36 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Tim" <no
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if my only
>option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control
>
>I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter when it's
>on the bulb setting in manual mode
>
>Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different ways of
>doing this

Yes that is true. Also the D70s provides for the use of the MC-DC1 wired
release as well, which the D70 does not.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Tim

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:27:36 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Tim" <no
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been looking into long night time exposures and it looks as if
>> my only option with this camera is to get a ML-L3 remote control
>>
>> I assume you press it once to open and once to close the shutter
>> when it's on the bulb setting in manual mode
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if this is right or are there better/different
>> ways of doing this

> Yes that is true. Also the D70s provides for the use of the MC-DC1
> wired release as well, which the D70 does not.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

Tim