Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about macro ops and the Lumix DMC-FZ7

Question about macro ops and the Lumix DMC-FZ7

bchernick@gmail.com

I do a great deal of nature photography, especially insects and small
plants. I admit that I am not as well versed in optical theory as I
should be.

With my old camera, a Kodak CX7530, I am accustomed to standing off 6
inches to a foot and massively magnifying my target. (Given some of the
critters I photograph, this is merely prudent.) I assumed all digital
cameras operated in a similar mode and thought that my new DMC-FZ7
would have massively greater capabilities (photograph the wiskers on
houseflys and so forth...) Instead of that, I find that I cannot zoom
at all in macro mode, at least not under the conditions I am used to.
Nothing but blurs.

Is this simply a case of 'Read The Fine Manual' or is this camera
incapable of what I consider true closeup photography?

(And if so, can anyone recommend other cameras that have the capability
I want, preferably of moderate price?)

B.C.

David J Taylor

> I do a great deal of nature photography, especially insects and small
> plants. I admit that I am not as well versed in optical theory as I
> should be.
>
> With my old camera, a Kodak CX7530, I am accustomed to standing off 6
> inches to a foot and massively magnifying my target. (Given some of
> the critters I photograph, this is merely prudent.) I assumed all
> digital cameras operated in a similar mode and thought that my new
> DMC-FZ7 would have massively greater capabilities (photograph the
> wiskers on houseflys and so forth...) Instead of that, I find that I
> cannot zoom at all in macro mode, at least not under the conditions I
> am used to. Nothing but blurs.
>
> Is this simply a case of 'Read The Fine Manual' or is this camera
> incapable of what I consider true closeup photography?
>
> (And if so, can anyone recommend other cameras that have the
> capability I want, preferably of moderate price?)
>
> B.C.

B.C.

I have the older Panasonic FZ5, and it offers two macro modes, one with
the widest zoom, and one with the narrowest zoom (they call it
"tele-macro"). Tele-macro offers a working distance of about 90cm with a
field width of 90mm. Macro isn't offered throughout the full zoom range.
Try changing your distance to the subject rather than altering the zoom.

The now-obsolete Nikon Coolpix 990 offered the best macro facilities in a
non-SLR camera.

David

Andy Hewitt

David J Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

[Snipped Text]

> I have the older Panasonic FZ5, and it offers two macro modes, one with
> the widest zoom, and one with the narrowest zoom (they call it
> "tele-macro"). Tele-macro offers a working distance of about 90cm with a
> field width of 90mm. Macro isn't offered throughout the full zoom range.
> Try changing your distance to the subject rather than altering the zoom.
>
> The now-obsolete Nikon Coolpix 990 offered the best macro facilities in a
> non-SLR camera.

You can also get a Macro adapter lens for the FZ7 which should improve
things. You can zoom in Macro mode, but you need to move further away to
use this as the close focus point moves out. You might also have better
luck using some of the manual settings as well.

Although I've just got an FZ7 myself, and find the Macro capability
pretty good. I managed to fill the image with a large coin.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/Home.html>

Dennis Pogson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I do a great deal of nature photography, especially insects and small
> plants. I admit that I am not as well versed in optical theory as I
> should be.
>
> With my old camera, a Kodak CX7530, I am accustomed to standing off 6
> inches to a foot and massively magnifying my target. (Given some of
> the critters I photograph, this is merely prudent.) I assumed all
> digital cameras operated in a similar mode and thought that my new
> DMC-FZ7 would have massively greater capabilities (photograph the
> wiskers on houseflys and so forth...) Instead of that, I find that I
> cannot zoom at all in macro mode, at least not under the conditions I
> am used to. Nothing but blurs.
>
> Is this simply a case of 'Read The Fine Manual' or is this camera
> incapable of what I consider true closeup photography?
>
> (And if so, can anyone recommend other cameras that have the
> capability I want, preferably of moderate price?)
>
> B.C.

My FZ20 offers me focussing down to 5cm in macro mode at the widest setting
and 200cm at the full zoom setting. Naturally the wide angle setting gives
the closest focus for macro work, although a macro-filter or lens would go
even closer.

My old Kodak DCS280 would only go to 9 inches at the macro setting.

My daughter's Nikon Coolpix 3200 focusses down to 4cm at the macro setting.

Dennis.

J. Clarke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I do a great deal of nature photography, especially insects and small
> plants. I admit that I am not as well versed in optical theory as I
> should be.
>
> With my old camera, a Kodak CX7530, I am accustomed to standing off 6
> inches to a foot and massively magnifying my target. (Given some of the
> critters I photograph, this is merely prudent.) I assumed all digital
> cameras operated in a similar mode and thought that my new DMC-FZ7
> would have massively greater capabilities (photograph the wiskers on
> houseflys and so forth...) Instead of that, I find that I cannot zoom
> at all in macro mode, at least not under the conditions I am used to.
> Nothing but blurs.

You need to either be at the longest or the shortest focal length (there are
macro modes at both ends) and not in the middle. At the long end you can't
get closer than about 3 feet.

> Is this simply a case of 'Read The Fine Manual' or is this camera
> incapable of what I consider true closeup photography?

It should be able to get twice as close as your Kodak. If you need to get
closer than that then consider a closeup adapter--Panasonic makes one but
I'm not clear if it's achromatic--Canon has a couple (250D and 500D) that
are achromatic for about the same price that will screw right into the
lens-hood adapter on the FZ7. Don't get one of the cheap ones--they
produce noticeable chromatic aberration.

> (And if so, can anyone recommend other cameras that have the capability
> I want, preferably of moderate price?)

Take a look at a Canon S3IS--play with the macro mode in the store and make
sure it does what you want to do.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

bchernick@gmail.com

Thank you to all those who took the trouble to answer.

Now, just how do these closeup adapters work, and more importantly, how
well do they work? Does anyone here have serious hands-on experience
with them?

In the meantime, I'm going back to the store to play with the Canon
Powershot.

Once again, thanks.

B.C.

J. Clarke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thank you to all those who took the trouble to answer.
>
> Now, just how do these closeup adapters work, and more importantly, how
> well do they work? Does anyone here have serious hands-on experience
> with them?

Basically just a magnifying glass.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

bchernick@gmail.com

Once again, thanks to all.

I decided to cut my losses and return the Lumix. All of the roughly
similar cameras seemed to have the same limitations so I guess it's
time to think about SLRs, hopefully a relatively 'inexpensive' one.

(Pentax K100D, perhaps?)

J. Clarke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Once again, thanks to all.
>
> I decided to cut my losses and return the Lumix. All of the roughly
> similar cameras seemed to have the same limitations so I guess it's
> time to think about SLRs, hopefully a relatively 'inexpensive' one.
>
> (Pentax K100D, perhaps?)

Find the lens you need then get a body to go with it.

--

overload resolution and conversion ops xtrigger303@gmail.com C++ 3 05-19-2008 01:51 PM
overloaded ops << and >> jalkadir C++ 10 07-04-2005 06:23 AM
Prefix/postfix ops -- concept question Sergey C++ 6 04-01-2005 06:14 PM
threading question, are ops on builtins atomic? Sam Roberts Ruby 6 02-08-2005 11:01 PM
Simple questions on shift ops and promotions Glen Able C++ 4 01-28-2004 12:51 PM

Advertisments