Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which RAW converter?

Which RAW converter?

Steve Silverman

As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

Steve Silverman

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Steve Silverman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
>which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
>converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
>sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
>hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

You might just find one size does not fit all and use more than one given
the specific circumstances.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Dmac

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Steve Silverman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
>>which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
>>converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
>>sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
>>hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

> You might just find one size does not fit all and use more than one given
> the specific circumstances.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Ed's right. Rawshooter doesn't develop Canon images with any noise in
them anywhere near as well as Photoshop does. Photoshop doesn't handle
some types of OFF colour images like fluro light stuff as well as
Canon's own DPP developer.

It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!

--
From Douglas...
My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au

Steve Silverman

"Dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Z68ng.15290$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
> us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
> thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!

Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic?

I'm using a Nikon D50

Steve Silverman

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:21:18 +0100, "Steve Silverman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
>which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
>converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
>sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
>hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.
>
>Steve Silverman

ACR, why complicate your workflow?
--

"One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.
One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.

"Sweet Banana"
Battle hymm of the Rhodesian African Rifles

[BnH]

I use Pixmantex RS Premium to process my ORF and they are much faster +
display more accurate tone compared to the ACR.

For my NEFs I also use Nikon Capture as my camera is not supported by the RS

"Steve Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
> which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the
> Adobe converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to
> grips sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be
> interested to hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.
>
> Steve Silverman

Bill Hilton

>Steve Silverman wrote:
> As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
> which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
> converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
> sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
> hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

My advice is to use one of them until you understand all the options
(ie, how to set white balance, adjust exposure, remove tints, sharpen
etc) ... then pick some representative images, get free downloads of
the converters you're interested in, decide how you want to compare
them and convert in each, then compare the images side by side.

To me the four things I compared closely were how easy it was to look
at many hundreds of images, how easy to get the best color, how much
detail was in the fine-detailed areas and how smooth the demosaicing in
the smooth toned areas like out of focus backgrounds.

I tested four converters (Capture One, RawShooterEssentials, Photoshop
CS RAW and the Canon supplied software) and would rank them in that
order (ie, Capture One first, Photoshop 3rd etc). To me Capture One
and RSE are clearly better than Photoshop, which was clearly better
than the Canon software. YMMV depending on what's important to you,
the types of images you are converting and how you use the default
settings but to me there's nothing like direct comparisons of the same
image converted with different programs.

Bill

Rich

Steve Silverman wrote:
> "Dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Z68ng.15290$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
> > us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
> > thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!
> >

> Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic?
>
> I'm using a Nikon D50
>
> Steve Silverman

Of course no one is talking about "default" converter settings. Some
of them
are terrible when just the default setting is used, some are excellent.
For instance, for Olympus, the free "Silkypix" converter is superior in
default mode
to the very expensive "Capture One" converter. Once you start using
the controls
though, things can change. You'd have to systematically use a few of
them on varying
shots to determine what provides the best overall conversion. Expect
to be at it
for about a few weeks...

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Silverman says...
> As a newcomer (i.e. within the last week) to RAW, I am trying to decide
> which converter to use. I've tried both Rawshooter Essentials and the Adobe
> converter that comes with Elements, but don't feel that I've come to grips
> sufficiently with either to be able to make a decision. I'd be interested to
> hear the opinion of others on these pieces of software.

There is also Bibble, which offers tons of controls. Actually almost too
many controls for my tastes.
--

Alfred Molon

tomm42

Steve Silverman wrote:
> "Dmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Z68ng.15290$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > It takes awhile to discover what does what and it also helps if you tell
> > us what brand of camera you have although you could be forgiven for
> > thinking this was rec.photo.canon.digital!
> >

> Sorry. You mean people here aren't telepathic?
>
> I'm using a Nikon D50
>
> Steve Silverman

Both Adobe RAW and Nikon Capture work well with Nikon Images, Raw
Shooter Essentials and runs on computers that would have problems
running Photoshop (Elements 4). But the simplification of work flow
helps, I like Adobe Bridge to Adobe Raw to Photoshop. Nikon Capture has
a plug in for Photoshop too. I have some problems with RSE, just an
interface thing as I have been using PS for 10 years. The latest and
greatest is supposed to be Nikon Capture NX, but it is vapor wear util
the end of the summer. I know Canon users that swear by Phase One
Capture 1, but not many Nikon users.

Tom