Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone Used Canon 17-55 2.8 IS Yet?

Anyone Used Canon 17-55 2.8 IS Yet?

Joe

Has anyone in here used the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS yet?

What's it like?

Nicolai

> Has anyone in here used the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS yet?

Yes.

> What's it like?

Its good, but too expensive without being an L

Joe

I don't care if it's an 'L' or not as my body isn't waterproof anyway.

I am more interested in the image quality, chromatic aberrations,
vignetting, sharpness, contrast, etc.

"Nicolai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:449aef74$0$2090$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Has anyone in here used the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS yet?

> Yes.
>
>> What's it like?

> Its good, but too expensive without being an L

Bill Funk

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:08:22 +0100, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't care if it's an 'L' or not as my body isn't waterproof anyway.

OK, my AC broke, so maybe my brain is shot, but...
What does being waterproof have to do with a Canon "L" lens?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Phil Wheeler

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:08:22 +0100, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I don't care if it's an 'L' or not as my body isn't waterproof anyway.

> OK, my AC broke, so maybe my brain is shot, but...
> What does being waterproof have to do with a Canon "L" lens?
>
>>I am more interested in the image quality, chromatic aberrations,
>>vignetting, sharpness, contrast, etc.

At least some of the L lenses have seals where they interface with
the camera .. and soe of the higher level bodies are (at least)
weather resistant.

Phil

King Sardon

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:08:22 +0100, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't care if it's an 'L' or not as my body isn't waterproof anyway.
>
>I am more interested in the image quality, chromatic aberrations,
>vignetting, sharpness, contrast, etc.

See http://tinyurl.com/lo93d.

Pros: Fast f 2.8 lens, excellent zoom range for the Rebel and its
cousins. Superb sharpness pretty well across the zoom range, from
center to edge. Chromatic aberration well controlled everywhere.

Cons: Barrel distortion at 17mm (what did you expect?)... vignetting,
especially at f 2.8... no hood, but you can buy one of those... quite
a bit of zoom overlap with the 10-22mm, which you would also want one
day for this format.

So, looks a lot like an L lens, but build quality is not up to L
standards. Some think that is a ploy to keep the pros away from it,
keeping them in the pricier full frame fold.

I've compared it to the 24-105mm f4 IS, which is an alternative for
the 1.6 crop cameras, and would also work later, on a full frame
model. That's an advantage if you think you would move up one day.

But I think the small frame is here to stay, and it is more than
adequate now, and will only get better as the years go by. And it is
smaller, lower cost, and lighter. And has greater DOF, which is an
advantage in many cases. So I'm committed to the small frame.

Anyway, the 24-105mm has an awkward zoom range for the small frame
(the wide end would be considered a normal angle of view on many
cameras). It has too much chromatic aberration and too much distortion
at 24mm, which is an important focal length on the small frames.
Sharpness is not so great at the long end. The max aperture is a whole
stop slower than the 17-55. The 24-105 comes with a hood, but the hood
is too wide angle for a small frame camera.

KS