Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Paparazzi Press Conferences and Flash

Paparazzi Press Conferences and Flash

Joe

When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences, etc. it's not
uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same time.

So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

John McWilliams

Joe wrote:
> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences, etc. it's not
> uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same time.
>
> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
> same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
> else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

--
john mcwilliams

Joe

OK, but a mass of photographers shooting at 8.5FPS for the 'special moment'.
That's a lot of light.

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.
>
> --
> john mcwilliams

Ben Brugman

> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

But the shutterspeet is far less than that.

So there must be quite some pictures with double flashes.
(Which stil could be ok).
And there must also be pictures with even more flashes.

So they probably will take some extra pictures to get a good one,
or a good few.

ben

> --
> john mcwilliams

Pete D

And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at least a
semi program mode like AP.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, but a mass of photographers shooting at 8.5FPS for the 'special
> moment'. That's a lot of light.
>

> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.
>>
>> --
>> john mcwilliams

David Dyer-Bennet

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences, etc. it's not
> uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same time.
>
> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject at the
> same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots where someone
> else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

I've had it happen to me at the Monterey Bay Aquarium fairly recently
-- not a press conference, just too many people shooting flash. I
haven't worked press conferences, I don't know how common it is
there.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

David Dyer-Bennet

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> And any half decent camera will compensate if you are using it in at least a
> semi program mode like AP.

Interesting. How would it do that? I don't know any modern cameras
that do off-the-film metering for long exposures the way the Olympus
OM-2, -3, and-4 did. What are they?
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Gisle Hannemyr

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Joe wrote:

>> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences,
>> etc. it's not uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same
>> time.
>> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject
>> at the same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots
>> where someone else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

The flash duration is irrelevant.

The X-sync speed for most cameraa are in the region of 1/200th.
If two or more flashes fire while the shutter stays open, you'll
get their aggregate effect on exposure.

So, the answer is yes, you run the risk of overexposure in a
situation like that.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

John McWilliams

On 6/22/06 3:13 AM, the clairvoyantGisle Hannemyr posted the following:
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Joe wrote:

>>> When you see the paps on the news shooting press conferences,
>>> etc. it's not uncommon for them all to be firing away at the same
>>> time.
>>> So, my question is, with so many people shooting the same subject
>>> at the same time, do they end up with a lot of over-exposed shots
>>> where someone else's flash has gone off at the same time as theirs?

>> No. Most flashes are in the 'hood of 1/10,000, or so I have read.

> The flash duration is irrelevant.
>
> The X-sync speed for most cameraa are in the region of 1/200th.
> If two or more flashes fire while the shutter stays open, you'll
> get their aggregate effect on exposure.
>
> So, the answer is yes, you run the risk of overexposure in a
> situation like that.

Well, the duration isn't wholly irrelevant, but you are right, the
shutter speed trumps the light duration.

Another thought: many such situations are day time, fill flash. These
may be set to high speed synch, with very low light output and very
quick recycle time. Can one get 5-8 fps under those circumstances with
Canon or Nikon?

--
John McWilliams

Joe

Not sure on the final results, but I have seen a pro wildlife photographer
shooting at what sounded like 8.5fps (definitely more than 5FPS), with a
Canon 1D Mark II, 550EX and an external battery pack powering the flash. He
was doing this is short bursts.