Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Laser vs inkjet when for greyscale`

Laser vs inkjet when for greyscale`

J. Clarke

Don Stauffer wrote:

> DPI makes a difference. Few decent priced laser printers have a high
> dpi. The higher the dpi of the printer, the greater the number of dots
> in each pseudo-pixel, and hence the higher the grey scale it can use.
>
> Both laser printers and inkjets use the same sort of diffusion dither to
> create 'mock' halftone cells. The more dots in each cell (a cell is the
> same as a pixel) the more grey tones available. Thus high dpi inkjets
> will have more tones than most lasers.

Double-shoot a dot with an inkjet and you have a darker dot, do it with a
laser and you just have a bigger bump on the paper. There are no lasers of
which I am aware that have three different shades of gray toner, but there
are inkjets so designed.

> Even some of the dye subs dither. While many dye subs can alter the
> amount of ink per dot,

Dye sublimation printers do not use ink, they use dye transferred as vapor,
and the whole _point_ of dye sublimition is that the quantity of dye
transfered is controllable. This does not vary the _size_, it varies the
_intensity_.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bill K

Hello John,
I enjoy this newsgroup and certainly want to follow the standards. I
am new to newsgroup, however. What are "top" and "bottom" posting?
>From this thread I understand it's preferable to "bottom post."

Bill in Lake Charles

Frank ess

J. Clarke wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
>> somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
>> printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is
>> this
>> true?

> Depends on the particular printers you are comparing, but generally
> yes. Google "grayscale ink" and you'll find a large number of hits
> with relevant information. There's a tutorial at
> <http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm>;
> <http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm> produces grayscale inks and
> their site has considerable discussion of their use. Some printers,
> for example the Epson R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800, HP 8750 and several
> other HP models, include or have available from the manufacturer
> grayscale inks. In addition the color inks are used in combination
> to fill out the tonality.

I'm still entranced by the prospect of hi-res and quality-paper-use
implicit in the specifications of the Konica-Minolta magicolor 2450:
http://printer.konicaminolta.com/pro...2450/index.asp

If you don't need absolute photo-show quality, could this be a
solution?

I've yet to find a dealer with such a printer on display, and K-M have
ignored my supplications with regard to a sample photo-print.

--
Frank ess

John McWilliams

On 6/22/06 9:39 AM, Bill K posted the following:
> Hello John,
> I enjoy this newsgroup and certainly want to follow the standards. I
> am new to newsgroup, however. What are "top" and "bottom" posting?
> From this thread I understand it's preferable to "bottom post."

Well, that's almost asking for strong opposing opinions, but yes, it's
traditional in many NG's. Trimming out extraneous material is also very
helpful, but of course, there's an opposing opinion on everything.

Even the sig line, which assists in replying by the fact that many news
readers honor it (by dropping everything below the two dashes, space and
return). Thunderbird greys out everything below it, a feature that's
o.k. but not to everyone's taste.

--
John McWilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. [not 'you'
of course, those other guys.....]

J. Clarke

Frank ess wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
>>> somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
>>> printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is
>>> this
>>> true?

>> Depends on the particular printers you are comparing, but generally
>> yes. Google "grayscale ink" and you'll find a large number of hits
>> with relevant information. There's a tutorial at
>> <http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm>;
>> <http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm> produces grayscale inks and
>> their site has considerable discussion of their use. Some printers,
>> for example the Epson R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800, HP 8750 and several
>> other HP models, include or have available from the manufacturer
>> grayscale inks. In addition the color inks are used in combination
>> to fill out the tonality.

> I'm still entranced by the prospect of hi-res and quality-paper-use
> implicit in the specifications of the Konica-Minolta magicolor 2450:
> http://printer.konicaminolta.com/pro...2450/index.asp
>
> If you don't need absolute photo-show quality, could this be a
> solution?
>
> I've yet to find a dealer with such a printer on display, and K-M have
> ignored my supplications with regard to a sample photo-print.

It's a 500 buck laser printer. Why would you expect it to work any
differently from any other 500 buck laser printer?

--

J. Clarke wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> Depends on the particular printers you are comparing, but
>>> generally
>>> yes. Google "grayscale ink" and you'll find a large number of hits
>>> with relevant information. There's a tutorial at
>>> <http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm>;
>>> <http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm> produces grayscale inks and
>>> their site has considerable discussion of their use. Some
>>> printers,
>>> for example the Epson R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800, HP 8750 and several
>>> other HP models, include or have available from the manufacturer
>>> grayscale inks. In addition the color inks are used in
>>> combination
>>> to fill out the tonality.

>> I'm still entranced by the prospect of hi-res and quality-paper-use
>> implicit in the specifications of the Konica-Minolta magicolor
>> 2450:
>> http://printer.konicaminolta.com/pro...2450/index.asp
>>
>> If you don't need absolute photo-show quality, could this be a
>> solution?
>>
>> I've yet to find a dealer with such a printer on display, and K-M
>> have ignored my supplications with regard to a sample photo-print.

> It's a 500 buck laser printer. Why would you expect it to work any
> differently from any other 500 buck laser printer?

Maybe I'm not speaking loud enough. Something I said included
"expect"?

I don't know much about laser printers, but never before did I see one
that claimed anything near "Up to 9600 x 600 dpi-class with Photo
ART". I'd like to see a print on glossy paper, so I _would_ know what
to expect, and how it matches up to my needs.

Joining in the spirit of your response, is it an ego-defense habit or
a scurrilous ploy that drives you to beg questions? Smiley face.

--
Frank ess
"There are some people it is our duty to annoy."

Paul Bartram

"Poobah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Tee-hee! "Behoves"...

It's a perfectly cromulent word...

Jebediah: [on film] A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Edna: Embiggens? I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield
Ms.Hoover: I don't know why. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

~ The Simpsons (episode 3F13)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello John,
> I enjoy this newsgroup and certainly want to follow the standards. I
> am new to newsgroup, however. What are "top" and "bottom" posting?
>>From this thread I understand it's preferable to "bottom post."

> Bill in Lake Charles

You just top posted.
Bottom posting follows the normal conversation. We read from top to bottom
so if everyone follows, you can follow a thread much easier. Just as
important is to delete most of the previous post. Just leave a couple of
sentences so everyone know who you are replying to and about what.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

ASAAR

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:57:44 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

> Joining in the spirit of your response, is it an ego-defense habit or
> a scurrilous ploy that drives you to beg questions? Smiley face.
>
> --
> Frank ess
> "There are some people it is our duty to annoy."
> -- Lord Reith

And there are those whose mission entails being annoying, probably
for the pure pleasure it provides.

me@privacy.net

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, J. Clarke
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Double-shoot a dot with an inkjet and you have a darker dot, do it with a
>laser and you just have a bigger bump on the paper. There are no lasers of
>which I am aware that have three different shades of gray toner, but there
>are inkjets so designed.

See my post re 4 or 8 bit pixel depth in lasers.

--
Timothy