Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Laser vs inkjet when for greyscale`

Laser vs inkjet when for greyscale`

Kevin Agard

Pat wrote:
> I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
> spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

> In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
> depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
> manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software

[SNIP]

And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves them
not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!

Poobah

Kevin Agard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8jmmg.4890
$DI2.3557@trnddc05:

> Pat wrote:
>> I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
>> spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

>> In most circumstances, I think inkjets look better, however it really
>> depends on the equipment and software. See what your software
>> manufacturer recommends. The easiest think to do, if your software

> [SNIP]
>
> And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
> suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves them
> not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!

Tee-hee! "Behoves"...

ASAAR

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:41:02 +0000 (UTC), Poobah wrote:

>> And I doubt you actually meant "The easiest think to do" but would
>> suggest that when one is pinging someone else for typos, it behoves
>> them not to have any in the post in which they are doing the pinging!

> Tee-hee! "Behoves"...

Beet me too it.

And I'm safe, at least according to my spell checker. <g>

Pat

ASAAR wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:32:32 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
>
> > > I'm not one for grammer, but I hope you do fillings better than you
> > > spell. Adding a few letters, I hope it's a dental practice.

> > ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless you're
> > sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom post, unless
> > you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

> A cop out? Not just a grammer mizspellar he, you may or may
> not have caught "The easiest think to do". Skipping other minor
> stuff we approach some really sublime country:
>
> > However, some dye sublimnation printers are tremendous.

> And some 4"x6" dye sub. printers are really tiny.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat
ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".

Frank ess

Pat wrote:
> ASAAR wrote:

>>> ow, ow, ow.... First rule: Never, ever do a spelling lame unless
>>> you're sure you have it all correct: Grammar. Second "rule" Bottom
>>> post, unless you need to go interspersed. Enough cop for today!

>> A cop out? Not just a grammer mizspellar he, you may or may
>> not have caught "The easiest think to do". Skipping other minor
>> stuff we approach some really sublime country:
>>
>>> However, some dye sublimnation printers are tremendous.

>> And some 4"x6" dye sub. printers are really tiny.

> Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
> in
> waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat
> ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and
> you
> can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
> ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
>
> There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
> thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".

smrt alc

ASAAR

On 21 Jun 2006 19:09:07 -0700, Pat got his kicks by writing:

> There, I top posted for you guys. Geez. Take a valium. The next
> thing you know, you will want me to call "soccer"; "football".

Not I. That would just result in more Brazil nuts. Just trying
to see if I have enough pull to get you to tow the line.

J. Clarke

> Hi,
>
> I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
> somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
> printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is this
> true?

Depends on the particular printers you are comparing, but generally yes.
Google "grayscale ink" and you'll find a large number of hits with relevant
information. There's a tutorial at <http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm>;
<http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm> produces grayscale inks and their site
has considerable discussion of their use. Some printers, for example the
Epson R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800, HP 8750 and several other HP models, include
or have available from the manufacturer grayscale inks. In addition the
color inks are used in combination to fill out the tonality.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Arthur Entlich

Most inkjet printers are higher resolution than laser printers, and so
the range of grey steps in the scale would be finer.

Inkjets can produce photo-like results. Some higher dpi (black) laser
can produce reasonable greyscale (I'd suggest 800-1200 ppi), but the
inkjet result will be superior.

Art

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run a detal prtice and i am begining to digitize my x-ray system,
> somebody told me that i should buy an inkjet printer over a laser
> printer because inkjets have better quality greyscale images. Is this
> true?

Don Stauffer

DPI makes a difference. Few decent priced laser printers have a high
dpi. The higher the dpi of the printer, the greater the number of dots
in each pseudo-pixel, and hence the higher the grey scale it can use.

Both laser printers and inkjets use the same sort of diffusion dither to
create 'mock' halftone cells. The more dots in each cell (a cell is the
same as a pixel) the more grey tones available. Thus high dpi inkjets
will have more tones than most lasers.

Even some of the dye subs dither. While many dye subs can alter the
amount of ink per dot, on some dye sub printers the amount of variation
is still not good enough for a large number of shades, so both variation
of dot size AND dithering are used.

me@privacy.net

In message <Hnxmg.2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Stauffer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>DPI makes a difference. Few decent priced laser printers have a high
>dpi. The higher the dpi of the printer, the greater the number of dots
>in each pseudo-pixel, and hence the higher the grey scale it can use.
>
>Both laser printers and inkjets use the same sort of diffusion dither
>to create 'mock' halftone cells. The more dots in each cell (a cell is
>the same as a pixel) the more grey tones available. Thus high dpi
>inkjets will have more tones than most lasers.
>
>Even some of the dye subs dither. While many dye subs can alter the
>amount of ink per dot, on some dye sub printers the amount of variation
>is still not good enough for a large number of shades, so both
>variation of dot size AND dithering are used.

But, there is also the matter of bit depth, if you buy a new half decent
laser it will be able to vary the intensity of each dot, usually either
a 4 bit depth or 8 bit. As far as I can tell on non-production machines
this is done by varying the dot size. I _believe_ but haven't been able
to confirm it, that production machines vary the intensity by some
method involving the amount of developing that takes place as they tend
to be two stage prints using developer and toner.

For instance my new machine here a Minolta Bizhub says 256 shades per
pixel and 600 dpi - consequently it prints a very nice monochrome (and a
very nice colour). But the old machine a Canon CLC also said 256 shades
per pixel and only 400 dpi and it did produce a nicer copy - which it
should do as its equivalent model today is about 4 times the price of
the bizhub.

If you get a decent resolution an old black laser can produce a good
copy. I remember printing some pictures on an HP IIIP, the dot pattern
was noticeable if I tried to enlarge during printing, but as long as I
printed at the printer's 300dpi resolution it was fine, - so an
1800x1200 picture would get printed 6" x 4"

--
Timothy