Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Does Not work after SP2 Upgrade

Wireless Network Does Not work after SP2 Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?RWxsZW5hbm4=?=

I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
users with the same issue. Ideas?

PJB

I have an ASUS A2h with built in Intel 2100 3B Wireless Lan and it appears
to be having trouble with drivers. I can use a PCMCIA card from D-Link OK
but not the internal wireless Lan. I have reinstall the internal driever.
Even deleted and rebooted and then installed the lastest drivers. But still
no go. All since SP2.

"Ellenann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year.

> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor

could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade

(from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but

that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the

network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard

of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?

Edward W. Thompson

After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
build solved that for me.

Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
), YMMV.

"Ellenann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> (from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?

Mac

You might try fiddling with the SSID broadcast configuration. SP1
caused a problem with that back then. If you had it set to not
broadcast the SSID, as most people did as an alleged security measure,
your wireless wouldn't work after installing SP1.

I haven't installed SP2 yet so can't say for sure, but I have heard
the same thing happens with it as well. So, if your SSIS is not
broadcasting then turn broadcasting on and see what happens.

Gene

"Ellenann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a

year. I
> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked

nor could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the

upgrade (from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed

but that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the

security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the

network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after

an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I

called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have

heard of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are

other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?

Tony

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:59:31 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
>but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
>firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
>), YMMV.

This is what SP2 is about .... all it is is a spyware to monitor
third-party products.

On the expense of buggering up your connections / sound etc.

SP2 is designed to give you give up and BUY the new windows products
on the pipeline

Just like how they buggered up win98 with updates so eventually you
had to buy XP ..

YES i have the same problem ... with broadband network problem ..
You are correct with firewalls ( third party products ) but also may
not work if the router is connected to main machine via network
cable.. i.e does not recognize your network card .. whatever may be
(Sis , etc ) ....

In short microsoft is trying to hold manufacturers to ransom ...we
ordinary paying customers of microsoft are the stupid ones to believe
that these updates are to our benefit .....

By way of popular method of "terrorising " the public , they progress
to rule unlawfully .. SP2 is supposed to "PROTECT " your computer
from viruses .. wow .. biggest hackers are working for microsoft ..
ROFL

>"Ellenann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
>> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
>> could
>> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
>> (from
>> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
>> that
>> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
>> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
>> network.
>> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
>> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
>> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
>> of
>> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
>> users with the same issue. Ideas?

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?Z21ja25pZ2h0?=

Where can I find the Security area in Control Panel. I looked everywhere

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
> settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
> ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
> frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
> firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
> with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
> reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
> ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
> build solved that for me.
>
> Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
> but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
> firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
> ), YMMV.
>

> "Ellenann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> > could
> > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> > (from
> > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> > that
> > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> > network.
> > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> > of
> > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> > users with the same issue. Ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8gTQ==?=

Please can you explain step by step how to do this?
Thanks

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
> on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
> adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
> ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1
>

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> >upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
> >I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
> >the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
> >the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> >setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
> >Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> >upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> >support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
> >problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> >users with the same issue. Ideas?

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

Control Panel, Add Remove Programs
then uninstall the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?SiBBbXNlbGxl?=

Thanks. I had the same problem (upgrade to XP Pro on HP laptop and Broadcom
internal wireless card won't work even though PCIA wirless card works) and
removing the Broadband Network Utility made it work like a charm immediately.