Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PhotoImpact XL

PhotoImpact XL

John Lee

The current issue of PC Advisor magazine (UK) has a DVD attached, that
includes free PhotImpact XL software. I have found this to be superb and it
does everything that I could possibly want, with the added advantage that
exif photo information is retained. Does anyone have previous experience of
this software? If so do you agree with my opinion, or are are there some
hidden drawbacks? Would be interested to hear. John

Mike

"John Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
kf%kg.19993$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The current issue of PC Advisor magazine (UK) has a DVD attached, that
> includes free PhotImpact XL software. I have found this to be superb and
> it does everything that I could possibly want, with the added advantage
> that exif photo information is retained. Does anyone have previous
> experience of this software? If so do you agree with my opinion, or are
> are there some hidden drawbacks? Would be interested to hear. John

No catch (although your copy is possibly a 15 or 30 days trial version).
This is my sole editor since ages, I feel it does absolutely everything
another well known *professional* editor does (which seems to be quite a
religion among photo gurus), but without the hassle, with a more
memory/speed/efficient code, with clever, attractive and clear menus, and so
on. A single example could be how simple and fast is working with layers, in
PhotoImpact.

I don't like so much *video* editing software from ULead, but in my opinion
PhotoImpact is near perfect.
(So perfect that I did not try PaintShop Pro for years, and I do not install
everything, would it be small or large, trial or not, from a third company
whose adepts act as if they are members of some sect, and whose company name
I'll keep silent not to be instantly flamed.)

Invest time in PhotoImpact, you'll love it more and more.

Mike

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

John Lee wrote:
> The current issue of PC Advisor magazine (UK) has a DVD attached, that
> includes free PhotImpact XL software. I have found this to be superb and it
> does everything that I could possibly want, with the added advantage that
> exif photo information is retained. Does anyone have previous experience of
> this software? If so do you agree with my opinion, or are are there some
> hidden drawbacks? Would be interested to hear. John

Yes, it's excellent software. And often they give away the last version
but one on magazine cover CD's, uncrippled, fully operational. Good
marketing.

But.. it is missing as few niceties - eg layers (when I last looked)
were very crude, and I find some tools quite clumsy in the way Ulead
has tried to 'simplify' them, eg sharpening, curve adjustment, etc..

Having said all that, Photoshop has a lot longer learning curve!

Paul Bartram

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> No catch (although your copy is possibly a 15 or 30 days trial version).
> This is my sole editor since ages, I feel it does absolutely everything
> another well known *professional* editor does (which seems to be quite a
> religion among photo gurus), but without the hassle, with a more
> memory/speed/efficient code, with clever, attractive and clear menus, and

so
> on. A single example could be how simple and fast is working with layers,

in
> PhotoImpact.

I have two copies of PI - version 4 and 10! Why still use 4 (from 1999)?
Because for some operations (like preparing pictures for a webpage) it's
dead simple, with the exposure controls on the right-hand toolbar. Also, you
can save a text-object to the clipboard for repeated use, which you can't do
in PS Elements 2 (as far as I can tell.

PI 10 is at least equal to a full Photoshop version, and like XL (which I'm
guessing is equivilant to PI v11?) will display and retain Exif information.
Version 4 sadly will not.

> I don't like so much *video* editing software from ULead, but in my

opinion
> PhotoImpact is near perfect.

VideoStudio 7 and beyond are pretty good too, I have no complaints.

Paul