Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > lightweight tripod for a digital compact camera

lightweight tripod for a digital compact camera

name

Hello.

Can anyone please recommend a portable lightweight tripod that is
sturdy enough to support a Canon Powershot S2? I think the camera
weighs 405 grams excluding batteries
(I reckon 4 NiMH batteries weigh around 105 grams).

Thanks in advance, kind regards, Niek

Daniel Silevitch

On 16 Jun 2006 19:06:11 -0700, name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Can anyone please recommend a portable lightweight tripod that is
> sturdy enough to support a Canon Powershot S2? I think the camera
> weighs 405 grams excluding batteries
> (I reckon 4 NiMH batteries weigh around 105 grams).

I bought a Velbon 343E to use with my FZ5 (roughly the same weight and
zoom range as your camera). I've been happy with it. It weighs about 2
pounds, folds up into a fairly compact bundle, and did quite well with 2
second exposures at full zoom. Runs about $60-70ish.

-dms

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2006 19:06:11 -0700, name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > Can anyone please recommend a portable lightweight tripod that is
> > sturdy enough to support a Canon Powershot S2? I think the camera
> > weighs 405 grams excluding batteries
> > (I reckon 4 NiMH batteries weigh around 105 grams).

> I bought a Velbon 343E to use with my FZ5 (roughly the same weight and
> zoom range as your camera). I've been happy with it. It weighs about 2
> pounds, folds up into a fairly compact bundle, and did quite well with 2
> second exposures at full zoom. Runs about $60-70ish.

I got myself a Velbon P-Max a couple of years ago and use it with my
Fuji S7000. It weighs about 800g with a quick release head. I usually
use the 2 second self-timer to allow any wobbles to subside.