Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > d70 spot

d70 spot

james

I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

Phil Wheeler

james wrote:
> I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
> with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
> the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
> then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
> the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
> be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
> it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
> highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
> camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

Sounds like it is on the imager; it can happen when you change
lenses. There are some good ways to clean them. Look up Visible
Dust with Google. I use their brushes on my EOS 20D.

Phil

k-man

Assuming that when you say that you're blowing air into the front of
the camera you mean that you're blowing air into the front with the
lens off, I'd say that you're just blowing on the mirror and that the
sensor's dirty. Someone mentioned using the VisibleDust products.
They're good but I would recommend using a traditional blower first.
It sounds like you might already have one (assuming that you're using a
blower and not your mouth). But I myself like the Giottos Rocket Air
Blower ($10 from B&H for the medium version). I have a D70s and found
a spot on my sensor (yesterday, in fact). One puff from that puppy and
the spot is gone. I can't remember if the D70 has it; but the D70s has
a mirror lock-up function (actually, the D70 probably has it after the
firmware upgrade that brings it up to date with the D70s). Activate
the mirror lock-up and the mirror moves out of the way, revealing the
sensor. Don't touch the sensor and don't squeeze the hell out of the
blower (and don't use canned air on it). Just puff a little air onto
it. Hopefully, the debris will simply float away. If not, then you
might try a tad more air pressure or you then might want to consider
one of the VisibleDust products.

Kevin

james wrote:
> I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
> with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
> the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
> then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
> the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
> be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
> it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
> highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
> camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

k-man

Before someone yells at me... Yes, VisibleDust has a traditional type
blower as well, similar to the Giottos Rocket Air Blower I mentioned.
I was initially referrring to VisibleDust's brushes. I would use a
blower first before using a brush.

Thanks.
Kevin

k-man wrote:
> Assuming that when you say that you're blowing air into the front of
> the camera you mean that you're blowing air into the front with the
> lens off, I'd say that you're just blowing on the mirror and that the
> sensor's dirty. Someone mentioned using the VisibleDust products.
> They're good but I would recommend using a traditional blower first.
> It sounds like you might already have one (assuming that you're using a
> blower and not your mouth). But I myself like the Giottos Rocket Air
> Blower ($10 from B&H for the medium version). I have a D70s and found
> a spot on my sensor (yesterday, in fact). One puff from that puppy and
> the spot is gone. I can't remember if the D70 has it; but the D70s has
> a mirror lock-up function (actually, the D70 probably has it after the
> firmware upgrade that brings it up to date with the D70s). Activate
> the mirror lock-up and the mirror moves out of the way, revealing the
> sensor. Don't touch the sensor and don't squeeze the hell out of the
> blower (and don't use canned air on it). Just puff a little air onto
> it. Hopefully, the debris will simply float away. If not, then you
> might try a tad more air pressure or you then might want to consider
> one of the VisibleDust products.
>
> Kevin
>

> james wrote:
> > I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
> > with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
> > the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
> > then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
> > the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
> > be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
> > it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
> > highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
> > camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk

Thus spake james ((E-Mail Removed)) unto the assembled multitudes:
> I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
> with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
> the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
> then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
> the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
> be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
> it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
> highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
> camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

All the respondants so far seem to think it's dirt, but James has said the
spot re-appears in the same place after cleaning, and - crucially - after a
dozen or so shots. The symptoms suggest that it's a noise problem -
possibly a thermal issue - with the CCD or electronics.

--

Andy Clews
University of Sussex

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:55:09 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "james"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
>with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
>the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
>then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
>the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
>be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
>it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
>highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
>camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

Can you post an example somewhere?

--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

k-man

I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion based only on
what James posted. He said that he tried shooting air into the front
of the camera. If he's not using mirror lock-up then there's a strong
chance that he's hitting the mirror only and not the sensor. Thus, if
there's dirt on the sensor, it will remain on the sensor and show up
shot after shot.

Kevin

> Thus spake james ((E-Mail Removed)) unto the assembled multitudes:
> > I have a spot that keeps appearing on my images. I have to remove them
> > with my image editing software. The problem is that I blow some air into
> > the front of the camera, presumably blowing away the dust particle, and can
> > then take about a dozen shots after which the spot appears again, in exactly
> > the same place. It's not a speck of dust getting blown around as it would
> > be improbable for it to settle down in the same place each time, and anyway,
> > it takes about a dozen shots before it reappears at all. Is this just a
> > highly improbable action by a speck of dust or something to do with the
> > camera that is more complicated? (It does not matter which lens I use).

> All the respondants so far seem to think it's dirt, but James has said the
> spot re-appears in the same place after cleaning, and - crucially - after a
> dozen or so shots. The symptoms suggest that it's a noise problem -
> possibly a thermal issue - with the CCD or electronics.
>

> --
>
> Andy Clews
> University of Sussex
> Remove DENTURES if replying by email

james

I am using mirror lock up. I know its not recommended but I use compressed
air from a can to blow dirt out. The spot on a 6 by 4 print is about 2mm
in diameter and only shows up on a blue sky. It definitely reappears in the
same place after about a dozen shots. I'm not technically minded but it
seems rather improbable?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

james wrote:
> I am using mirror lock up. I know its not recommended but I use compressed
> air from a can to blow dirt out. The spot on a 6 by 4 print is about 2mm
> in diameter and only shows up on a blue sky. It definitely reappears in the
> same place after about a dozen shots. I'm not technically minded but it
> seems rather improbable?

You need to clean the sensor. Blowing air in there is not a good
idea .. and apparently not solving the problem. Again, look at
Visible Dust; works well with my 20D (which has a specific
Cleaning mode in the menu).

Phil

ASAAR

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:03:55 +0100, james wrote:

> I am using mirror lock up. I know its not recommended but I use
> compressed air from a can to blow dirt out. The spot on a 6 by 4 print
> is about 2mm in diameter and only shows up on a blue sky. It definitely
> reappears in the same place after about a dozen shots. I'm not technically
> minded but it seems rather improbable?

Perhaps a cluster of the sensor's elements are flaky and stop
functioning properly when the sensor heats up? Compressed air would
cool the sensor. If you stop using the camera when the spot
appears, such as by turning it off for an hour, when you resume
shooting does the spot reappear immediately, or only after another
dozen shots are taken?