Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > successor canon 350D

successor canon 350D

Erikhove

Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?

Darrell Larose

"Erikhove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?

The week before PhotoKina 2006 http://www.photokina.de

Leaks will start end of August.

8 megapixel
2.5"-3" LCD

lower price than 350D

John McWilliams

Darrell Larose wrote:
> "Erikhove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?
>>

> The week before PhotoKina 2006 http://www.photokina.de
>
> Leaks will start end of August.
>
> 8 megapixel
> 2.5"-3" LCD
>
> lower price than 350D

I'd bet higher MP. And priced the same, with 350D price dropping a
couple of hundred to the retailer.

--
John McWilliams

Darrell Larose

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Darrell Larose wrote:
>> "Erikhove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?
>>>

>> The week before PhotoKina 2006 http://www.photokina.de
>>
>> Leaks will start end of August.
>>
>> 8 megapixel
>> 2.5"-3" LCD
>>
>> lower price than 350D
>>

> I'd bet higher MP. And priced the same, with 350D price dropping a couple
> of hundred to the retailer.

I see the 350D being discontinued on a stock turn-over basis just like the
300D. I don't see the new version 400D having any more than 8 megapixels, as
the 30D replaced the 20D at the same pixel count. I think that Canon limit
on their CMOS technology is at 8 megapixels on the APS-C sized sensor. I
can't see Canon releasing a Rebel class camera with a higher pixel count as
it would dilute sales of their 30D, but I can see a $500-600 CDN body, as at
the moment the Rebel XT/350D is the highest priced product in the class. The
sub-$1000 class is the fastest growing segment of the market, under $1000
CDN I have, Pentax , Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Canon kits ($980
XT/18~55). There is a $100 rebate on Canon, likely to reduce inventory
before the Fall announcement of a 400D(?)

I suppose Canon could raise the bar to 12 megapixels on their CMOS, but I
contend that Canon doesn't want to reduce quality.

Isaiah Beard

Erikhove wrote:
> Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?

The indicators seem to point to it being relatively soon, maybe within
the next couple of months. Canon is currently offering a $100 rebate
for Canon 350D purchases through August 5. Typically, rebates are
offered when a manufacturer wants to give people in incentive to buy
existing stock in order to bring down inventories, clear out old models
in anticipation of something new.

That said, $100 off the B&H price of a 350D kit has me very tempted...

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Jack Mac

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:48:15 -0400, Isaiah Beard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Erikhove wrote:
>> Does anyone know when Canon will launch a successor for the EOS 350D?
>>

>The indicators seem to point to it being relatively soon, maybe within
>the next couple of months. Canon is currently offering a $100 rebate
>for Canon 350D purchases through August 5. Typically, rebates are
>offered when a manufacturer wants to give people in incentive to buy
>existing stock in order to bring down inventories, clear out old models
>in anticipation of something new.
>
>That said, $100 off the B&H price of a 350D kit has me very tempted...

Not accurate .... maybe sometimes.... but I received $100 rebate on my
350D/AT when I bought it last October.
Jack Mac