Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Gateway M1300 TabletPC & Linksys WRT54G: WLAN Connection Drops

Gateway M1300 TabletPC & Linksys WRT54G: WLAN Connection Drops

David Lipetz

I am cross posting this to both the Tablet PC and Wireless newsgroups - not
sure which is most appropriate.

My Gateway M1300 connects via wireless to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
I've found that the connection will drop, all of the sudden, and the router
can not be found. Then after a few minutes, or seconds, it will re-establish
a connection. Sometimes it won't and I have to reboot the router.

Now, this has occurred with and without SP2 installed. Prior to implementing
the WRT54G, I had a 1st gen Linksys wireless router (BEF11W???) which also
displayed the same behavior. In fact, that's why I replaced it with the
WRT54G - thought it was a defective router.

Interestingly, my Dell laptop (Win2K, using a Microsoft wireless 802.11 B/G
PC card) also has the same behavior, whether it was with the old or new
Linksys router. But I rarely use the Dell at home, so my focus is on the
M1300.

I think that a recent Windows update, or some common software to both the
Dell and the Gateway, or maybe even a router configuration issue, may be the
root of the problem.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a Windows hotfix caused a similar
issue.

Ideas?

Thanks,
David

cadman

You might try changing the channels. Move away from the default 6. Other
devices such as cordless phones can cause problems like you describe. I've
had these problems at home with tablet pc, wireless laptop, and pda both
adhoc and infrastructure mode. I switched channels to 1 and got steady
connections. I have 4 cordless phones located throughout the house, working
from one base.

"David Lipetz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am cross posting this to both the Tablet PC and Wireless newsgroups -

not
> sure which is most appropriate.
>
> My Gateway M1300 connects via wireless to a Linksys WRT54G wireless

router.
> I've found that the connection will drop, all of the sudden, and the

router
> can not be found. Then after a few minutes, or seconds, it will

re-establish
> a connection. Sometimes it won't and I have to reboot the router.
>
> Now, this has occurred with and without SP2 installed. Prior to

implementing
> the WRT54G, I had a 1st gen Linksys wireless router (BEF11W???) which also
> displayed the same behavior. In fact, that's why I replaced it with the
> WRT54G - thought it was a defective router.
>
> Interestingly, my Dell laptop (Win2K, using a Microsoft wireless 802.11

B/G
> PC card) also has the same behavior, whether it was with the old or new
> Linksys router. But I rarely use the Dell at home, so my focus is on the
> M1300.
>
> I think that a recent Windows update, or some common software to both the
> Dell and the Gateway, or maybe even a router configuration issue, may be

the
> root of the problem.
>
> I seem to recall reading somewhere that a Windows hotfix caused a similar
> issue.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> David

David Lipetz

Thanks. Already did that upgrade.

After reading around a bit, I suspect that it may be my 2.4GHz cordless
telephone that may be causing the drops. The base station for the phone is
in the same room as the WAP. Will change the channel on the WAP to see if
that helps.

"WNewquay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi David,
>
> Since the connections are dropped with two different clients, I would
> suggest that you check on the Linksys site for firmware updates for the

WRTG