Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Saving digital images to iPod

Saving digital images to iPod

IRO

Just back from a month's holiday, with 2000-odd photos in the can. The
can in this case is a 30GB iPod Video, which was periodically hooked to
my Panasonic FZ30 with Apple's Camera Connect.

As expected for an Apple product the system works pretty smoothly, but I
managed to lose some photos due to a couple of fish-hooks. Firstly, the
iPod couldn't cope with camera cards 1GB or bigger because it takes
longer to download the contents than a fully charged battery can run the
iPod. During a dump, the hard drive is running continuously, something
that doesn't happen normally. When the battery runs out the iPod deletes
everything already copied and shuts down (Nice one, Apple!!)

The workaround in my case (eventually) was to download about 500MB then
Stop and Save. Followed by a very slow process of deleting the images
from the camera that had been copied so they wouldn't be recopied on the
next run after a recharge.

That's where I struck the second fish-hook. When I was getting very low
on space, I deleted a lot of dud images scattered across the card. The
problem is that although their replacements were taken just before the
download, the files are actually mixed in with photos taken days
earlier. On the iPod Video, they appear on the same 'Roll' as the
earlier shots, albeit at the end. I got confused as to just where I had
safely copied to and it was here, I think, the lost photos went AWOL.

LESSON 1: Don't use cards larger than 512MB. Really fast cards might get
away with it but there's some merit in having your eggs in more than one
basket anyway. If you have a bigger card already, resist the temptation
to overfill it.

LESSON 2: Don't erase images and over-write. Better to keep everything
clean & tidy and move onto another card. See lesson 1.

LESSON 3: It may be worthwhile to take an iPod Dock with you so you can
keep the iPod on mains power during the downloads. Yeah, yeah, something
else to lug around when you're on holiday. It's bad enough having to
carry camera battery & cell phone chargers, mains adaptors, assorted
cables and all that junk....

LESSON 4: If you need to retrieve only some images from the iPod,
they're hidden in the DCIM folder with the Rolls in numerical order but
renamed "###APPLE". Ask iPhoto to import from there.

LESSON 5: Be VERY careful when Browsing a Roll of images. You're only a
tiny slip of the finger away from accidently Deleting that Roll.

Now that I'm older and wiser I can recommend the iPod as a backup for
serious holiday digital photography, although it did get a bit fraught
for a while there.

--
~IRO
(enzed = nz)

Roy G

"IRO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just back from a month's holiday, with 2000-odd photos in the can. The
> can in this case is a 30GB iPod Video, which was periodically hooked to
> my Panasonic FZ30 with Apple's Camera Connect.
>
> As expected for an Apple product the system works pretty smoothly, but I
> managed to lose some photos due to a couple of fish-hooks. Firstly, the
> iPod couldn't cope with camera cards 1GB or bigger because it takes
> longer to download the contents than a fully charged battery can run the
> iPod. During a dump, the hard drive is running continuously, something
> that doesn't happen normally. When the battery runs out the iPod deletes
> everything already copied and shuts down (Nice one, Apple!!)
>
> The workaround in my case (eventually) was to download about 500MB then
> Stop and Save. Followed by a very slow process of deleting the images
> from the camera that had been copied so they wouldn't be recopied on the
> next run after a recharge.
>
> That's where I struck the second fish-hook. When I was getting very low
> on space, I deleted a lot of dud images scattered across the card. The
> problem is that although their replacements were taken just before the
> download, the files are actually mixed in with photos taken days
> earlier. On the iPod Video, they appear on the same 'Roll' as the
> earlier shots, albeit at the end. I got confused as to just where I had
> safely copied to and it was here, I think, the lost photos went AWOL.
>
> LESSON 1: Don't use cards larger than 512MB. Really fast cards might get
> away with it but there's some merit in having your eggs in more than one
> basket anyway. If you have a bigger card already, resist the temptation
> to overfill it.
>
> LESSON 2: Don't erase images and over-write. Better to keep everything
> clean & tidy and move onto another card. See lesson 1.
>
> LESSON 3: It may be worthwhile to take an iPod Dock with you so you can
> keep the iPod on mains power during the downloads. Yeah, yeah, something
> else to lug around when you're on holiday. It's bad enough having to
> carry camera battery & cell phone chargers, mains adaptors, assorted
> cables and all that junk....
>
> LESSON 4: If you need to retrieve only some images from the iPod,
> they're hidden in the DCIM folder with the Rolls in numerical order but
> renamed "###APPLE". Ask iPhoto to import from there.
>
> LESSON 5: Be VERY careful when Browsing a Roll of images. You're only a
> tiny slip of the finger away from accidently Deleting that Roll.
>
> Now that I'm older and wiser I can recommend the iPod as a backup for
> serious holiday digital photography, although it did get a bit fraught
> for a while there.
>
> --
> ~IRO
> (enzed = nz

This is perfect example of "Mac Blinkers".

He has recommended this Ipod, after explaining rather a lot of problems. It
can't even download 1 Gig of images in one run.

This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should buy
one of these badly designed things.

Roy G

Tony Rice

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed):

> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should
> buy one of these badly designed things.

The iPod is designed very well as an MP3 player.

As a digital photo storage device, it's not so good, but that's not what it
was designed for.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed)>, Roy G
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is perfect example of "Mac Blinkers".

PC moron

> He has recommended this Ipod, after explaining rather a lot of problems. It
> can't even download 1 Gig of images in one run.
>
> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should buy
> one of these badly designed things.

The iPod was designed for playing music.

Pete D

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090620060630484094%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed)>, Roy G
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> This is perfect example of "Mac Blinkers".

> PC moron
>
>> He has recommended this Ipod, after explaining rather a lot of problems.
>> It
>> can't even download 1 Gig of images in one run.
>>
>> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should
>> buy
>> one of these badly designed things.

> The iPod was designed for playing music.

It is still touted as a photo holder!!

Pete D

"Tony Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should
>> buy one of these badly designed things.

> The iPod is designed very well as an MP3 player.
>
> As a digital photo storage device, it's not so good, but that's not what
> it
> was designed for.

It is now and video!

J. Clarke

Roy G wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> LESSON 4: If you need to retrieve only some images from the iPod,
>> they're hidden in the DCIM folder with the Rolls in numerical order but
>> renamed "###APPLE". Ask iPhoto to import from there.
>>
>> LESSON 5: Be VERY careful when Browsing a Roll of images. You're only a
>> tiny slip of the finger away from accidently Deleting that Roll.
>>
>> Now that I'm older and wiser I can recommend the iPod as a backup for
>> serious holiday digital photography, although it did get a bit fraught
>> for a while there.
>>
>> --
>> ~IRO
>> (enzed = nz

> This is perfect example of "Mac Blinkers".
>
> He has recommended this Ipod, after explaining rather a lot of problems.
> It can't even download 1 Gig of images in one run.
>
> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should buy

I'm reminded of a physician who Richard Hooker (author of M*A*S*H, and
himself a medical doctor) once described--the fellow was very
useful--whenever Hooker was having problems with a diagnosis he would call
in this fellow for a consultation. The fellow was a brilliant analyst, who
point by point identified and went through every single salient aspect of
the case, then, having clearly spelled out the analysis in terms that would
lead the greenest intern to the right diagnosis, he invariably ignored all
his own careful analysis and came up with something totally off the wall.
Meanwhile, Hooker, with analysis in hand, was able to easily arrive at the
correct diagnosis.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke

Pete D wrote:

> "Tony Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> This post would seem to give rather a lot of reasons why no-one should
>>> buy one of these badly designed things.

>> The iPod is designed very well as an MP3 player.
>>
>> As a digital photo storage device, it's not so good, but that's not what
>> it
>> was designed for.

> It is now and video!

That's like saying that a cheap video camera is designed for taking stills.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Pete D

"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>

>> "Tony Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:Jdeig.14309$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> The iPod is designed very well as an MP3 player.
>>>
>>> As a digital photo storage device, it's not so good, but that's not what
>>> it
>>> was designed for.

>> It is now and video!

> That's like saying that a cheap video camera is designed for taking
> stills.

Nothing like it, the Ipod is just a storage device, my X'Drive plays MP3's
perfectly and still does its primary funtion of storing files perfectly as
well.

J. Clarke

Pete D wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Pete D wrote:
>>

>>> "Tony Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> It is now and video!

>> That's like saying that a cheap video camera is designed for taking
>> stills.
>>

> Nothing like it, the Ipod is just a storage device,

In that case a camera is "just a storage device".

> my X'Drive plays MP3's
> perfectly and still does its primary funtion of storing files perfectly as
> well.

Then it sounds like it does far better than the allegedly purposely designed
ipod in that regard.