Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony Alpha 100 image samples to compare noise

Sony Alpha 100 image samples to compare noise

Digital Photography Now

I think Sony has done a very good job with the ten megapixel sensor. I've
posted 1:1 crops at 100 through to 1600 ISO here:

http://dpnow.com/bb/dslr.pl?read=841

The anti-shake (sorry - Super Steady Shot Inside!) looks very effective too.
Here's some hand held shots of a hawk, close-up, with the 75-300mm lens:

http://dpnow.com/bb/dslr.pl?read=826

and:

http://dpnow.com/bb/critique.pl?read=4705

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

Jim Sant

"Digital Photography Now" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lobig.17505$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think Sony has done a very good job with the ten megapixel sensor. I've
>posted 1:1 crops at 100 through to 1600 ISO here:
>
> http://dpnow.com/bb/dslr.pl?read=841

It looks very noisy at 1600

> The anti-shake (sorry - Super Steady Shot Inside!) looks very effective
> too. Here's some hand held shots of a hawk, close-up, with the 75-300mm
> lens:
>
> http://dpnow.com/bb/dslr.pl?read=826
>
> and:
>
> http://dpnow.com/bb/critique.pl?read=4705
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com

Digital Photography Now

At 400, it's very usable. I was expecting it to be marginal with the
increased pixel density. Are there any small-sensor DSLRs with
out-of-the-camera JPEGs that aren't pretty noisy at ISO 1600? Even so, using
Noise Ninja will make the Alpha 100 1600 ISO shots respectable, probably
even better from RAW.

My main complaint with the camera is a that its shutter/mirror mechanism is
loud and unpleasant to hear. No SSM on the cheaper lenses (in fact very few
lenses at all!) is also a major disadvantage to Canon and USM.

Ian

news:Krzig.8667$(E-Mail Removed)...